Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala gvt is cash strpped and has been laying of workers.

You'll notice they are targeting "low level" workers for layoffs.  Translated:  The people who actually do something besides sit on their fat butts in City Hall.

At the same time the trash is piling up and the streets remain largely unrepaired and swept outside of Chapala, the payroll of our wonderful municipal government has increased 50 percent.  Of course, our Presidente will not "publicly acknowledge the payroll has become bloated under his watch."  The article should have also added the words "magically disappeared."

Let's see if the apologists for this truly bad government, even by the lax standards of Jalisco, can make excuses for this latest revelation.  And frankly I hope that Mr. Cuevas does call a strike.  Not only are the taxpayers being royally ripped off by this government, so are the workers who actually try to deliver services on the scraps left over after the pigs feed on the municipal budget.  Maybe a strike will get the necessary level of attention in order for something to be done about this situation.

It's refreshing to finally see our local paper which seems to be so worried about politics up north start to pay attention on its own littered and looted backyard.  Better later than never, Ms. Palfrey.  Keep digging.  Plenty more where this came from.

Yes, for sure. That rag has always been obsessed with NOB politics either as a cheerleader or Chicken Little.

But hey, if the cash flow isn't there for your monthly"dip" you gotta do something.

Love the post heading "Chapala govt is cash strpped"--you can read it as either "strapped" or "stripped";)

As to the Guad Reporter, I am glad to have it and read it every week. I also read the New York Times but I don't expect the Guad Reporter to approach that level.

With the oil glut, the feds are in a budget crunch and now have less to forward to the local govts.  So now for the good news.  Crime is down in Joco since all 3 transitos have been laid off due to no money to pay them.  But don't worry, I suspect they will be doing some freelancing in Ajijic to make a few pesos.  Well good news for some.

When I visit a friend, near a large public high school in Chapala, there is no litter (the teens are very careful about this), streets and sidewalks are clean, minimal stray dogs, everything seems to work. I have now asked many times from local Mexicans about Ajijic - they all say the gringos there demand "rustico" in their "village", Chapalans want paving stones, infrastructure. They may be wrong, but I have heard it too many times. If the old foreigners in Ajijic want rustico, we will spend the money on Chapala, making a great place for our families.

56 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

When I visit a friend, near a large public high school in Chapala, there is no litter (the teens are very careful about this), streets and sidewalks are clean, minimal stray dogs, everything seems to work. I have now asked many times from local Mexicans about Ajijic - they all say the gringos there demand "rustico" in their "village", Chapalans want paving stones, infrastructure. They may be wrong, but I have heard it too many times. If the old foreigners in Ajijic want rustico, we will spend the money on Chapala, making a great place for our families.

The lack of services here is not about paving preferences.  There are quite a number of streets in Chapala that have cobblestones as well.  Rustico is not about unswept streets or trash pickups not happening or being so erratic it is hard to figure out when to put it out.

We've had the same paving in the 9 years I've been here but the services began to decline after this Presidente's brother was elected and has just gotten worse since then.  Even at that, looter he may have been but at least the trash got picked up.  

It seems we jumped from the frying pan into the fire with the last municipal election..

And that flimsy and self serving excuse doesn't account for the total neglect of Riberas, now does it?  Sounds like you've been talking with some of the perps in our local government. :)

It is not an excuse - it is common conception among locals living in Chapala. They are the ones who vote and win elections - civilly, state and national.  Me, I don't care, I wander into the "village" portions of Ajijic maybe 4 times a year. Claustrophobic, stale, dusty air, always zero parking - I just don't get it. When I visit Riberas, it seems pretty good - there are some beautiful homes there, I know they are having a problem with water right now - same cause and effect, too much hype/incoming, without enough infrastructure.

1 hour ago, Kiko said:

With the oil glut, the feds are in a budget crunch and now have less to forward to the local govts.  So now for the good news.  Crime is down in Joco since all 3 transitos have been laid off due to no money to pay them.  But don't worry, I suspect they will be doing some freelancing in Ajijic to make a few pesos.  Well good news for some.

So did your municipal payroll increase by 50 percent?

Somehow I doubt it.

Late middle English, according to Oxford, which of course as we all know deals only in slang... https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/botch.

Now, I don't know where you are getting your stories, but I'll need to see some proof of these so-called "lies".

4 hours ago, Kiko said:

Nor sure how you relate transitos to crime. Crime is looked after by the town/village police and transitos enforce traffic regulations.

50 minutes ago, moderator-2 said:

Let's don't get sidetracked into an argument about language.  Betty, "botched" is standard English usage so let it go and move on.Thanks.

The definition is just a sidebar that could not be ignored. The real issue at this point is the accusations against everyone and everything Mexico, the attack on this very "blog" ("fogeys seeking lala land"?), the baseless accusations against the newspaper, and the incessant negative rhetoric. These do not belong in a thread about Chapala's finances. And in fact, this whole discussion is pure politics, which of course isn't allowed here.

A discussion about a municipality that claims to be broke while the payroll has increased 50 percent and the trash is piling up isn't about politics.any more than a discussion about a restaurant that takes your money and gives you a bad meal.

Both are rip offs.  65 percent of the local tax collection, the majority of the income for this entire municipio comes from Ajijic.  We are not getting what we are paying these people for.  It is nearly 7:30PM, this is supposed to be trash pickup day in my neighborhood.  All our trash is sitting out front uncollected--again.  Of course the trash that people don't take back in will be scattered all over the neighborhood in the morning.  This is inexcusable!

In 9 years, we've never had this situation, never!

And the "news" paper needs to spend more time exposing same and focusing on local affairs and less time and space presenting a very biased view of U.S. politics that have little, if any relevance, to local affairs.  Like for example the very telling revelations that this thread is discussing.  Let's hope they keep it up because for certain a lot of light needs to be shined on the Chapala municipal government!

Archived