Chapala.com Webboard

Homemade Thunder Jacket

Ferret

The season of thunder and fireworks is upon us and many dogs are terrified. Mine used to sit in a corner of the walk in closet and shake herself sick. She passed away in 2013.

I figured that there had to be a CHEAP, FAST AND EASY solution to this since Thunder jackets (brand name) ain't cheap. The flexible wrap bandages for sprained ankles, wrists etc. are available in every farmacia here and Walmart. Here's the "how to". https://www.k9ofmine.com/diy-thundershirt/

Suerte!

There is also a quicker, emergency way. You can use it to test for whether a thunder shirt will help your dog, because all don't respond to it. Take a towel and make a sling for your dog under it's chest. Pull the ends up over it's back and make a little twist to make a firm, snug little doggie cocoon. I could hold this for 5 minutes or so and my dog was helped for hours.

I am a seamstress and have looked at them online and think I will make one myself. The ready-made ones are actually not expensive, though- they seem to go for an average of $50US (depending on size) and I can tell you that it is at least a couple/three hours work to make one, plus the materials. But I have also read reviews online that say that they are poorly made and don't last long- fabric pulling away from the stitching and velcro, for instance. Hence wanting to make my own.

I have been told that children's tee shirts work pretty well as an alternative. I can't verify this because my Corgi said that dogs don't ware clothes, ran under the bed, ripped it off and hid it. I never did find it.

The first few thunderstorms, I just cuddle and hug the dog until he stops shaking. After the first few storms, he is OK.

A "one size too small" dog fleece can also work well; the kind that has the velcro seam running down the spine is easy to put on (lays flat when open) and fasten quickly, snugly and securely.

Archived