Chapala.com Webboard

TelMex cost for calling a toll free in USA is very high

geeser

We have all seen the conversion chart of numbres ti use to call a USA toll free:

USA Toll-free                   Substitute
800                                       880
844                                       885
855                                       884
866                                       883
877                                       882
888                                       881

BEWARE the cost can be high. I have been billled by Telmex for calling 881 for 4 min for $84MN or 33¢ USD per minute.

and calls to 883 costing $84 MN for 14 minutes. Truth is these calls were not ACTUALLY made from my house and are NON -WORKING numbers.  

But I was amazed that the cost is 33¢ per minute. Guess we need to email and try to get an actual DID or phone number with an actual area code.  I was suupposed to have a pharmacy customer service person tell me that there was no "actual number" Then I did better when I asked for the number she calls to say she is sick and won't be in.

What you say is true, Ezpz,  but should you call an 800 # that is located in say Canada or the US, these 800 numbers do not cross the border into Mexico. So Even though I can phone Shaw Direct using say a Canadian 800 number, somehow I must find a service that connects me to the 800 number that only reaches to but not into Mexico, Telmex provides that service for approximately 7 pesos per minute, regardless of the Mexican plan you have.

If you know the local Calgary phone  number where one of the Shaw Direct call centers is, you can call it for free with your plan, but use an 800 number that does not reach into Mexico, and Telmex gives you a special number and charges 7 pesos per minute. Yes I know, it doesn't make sense, but that is how it works.

Sue, go to Telmex and ask them. What I posted above is what they told me and what I have experienced. Therefore, when I want to phone the Shaw Direct call center, be it in Calgary, Mississauga, or Quebec I would never use their 800 numbers because when I do, even with free international calls I am charged.

Now when I want to call a local Mexican 800 number there is no charge. Really.

But should I only know the Canadian or US 800,  I have a VoIP phone which costs next to nothing per minute when phoning an 800  number meant for up north.

Archived