Chapala.com Webboard

Where to sign up for Seguro Popular

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, marmorado said:

What does CURP stand for/mean?

A CURP is a registration number you nowadays receive with your visa from INM. No CURP would mean you have no visa. No visa means you are not eligible for Seguro Popular. See Spencer McMullen, you seem to need his services.

https://www.gob.mx/segob/acciones-y-programas/clave-unica-de-registro-de-poblacion-curp

And not to hijack the thread but at least down here in PV  in order to avoid paying capital gains on the sale of your residence you must meet a requirement I just learned about as well as length of ownership. Perhaps it's different at lakeside but here you must have permanente status and have an RFC number that has appeared on your CFE bill for a minimum of 6 consecutive months. If your Spanish is not very good you might want to get help in getting one as a visit to Hacienda is necessary and an appointment in advance is necessary here. Then you must go to CFE in person and see that they have entered it into your account. While you're at CFE, make sure the address on your account exactly matches your deed. If not, take a copy of your predial from earlier this year so they can change the account. Unless you know for sure you will never want to sell your home and avoid the tax you would be well advised to do that.

Sometimes different areas of Mexico implement new rules differently so you should check with your attorney to confirm this is or is not true in your area.

3 minutes ago, marmorado said:

I have a visa temporal which Spencer helped me to get. I assume I am ok for seguridad popular.

The CURP number should be on the card. Now, print out the CURP and take it, no need for a birth cert.

https://www.curp-gratis.com.mx/consulta-curp

Even if CURP is not on your visa it may exist. Chapala INM was one of the few offices that did not for a long time add it to you visa You can search as per my web site: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/etc..html

As to RFC I obtain them for clients frequently as it is all done on-line. There is no need to go to SAT. I mention it here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/real-estate.html

A temporary or permanent resident is to get tax exemption on the sale of a principal residence every 3 years and not just a PR. If told otherwise find another notario.

I am processing 5 Seguro Popular memberships today just in case expats are excluded from SP starting next week. 

5 minutes ago, Sonia said:

Chapala INM was one of the few offices that did not for a long time add it to you visa

My RP dated March 2017 has the CURP on it and it was from Chapala.

29 minutes ago, Sonia said:

Even if CURP is not on your visa it may exist. Chapala INM was one of the few offices that did not for a long time add it to you visa You can search as per my web site: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/etc..html

As to RFC I obtain them for clients frequently as it is all done on-line. There is no need to go to SAT. I mention it here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/real-estate.html

A temporary or permanent resident is to get tax exemption on the sale of a principal residence every 3 years and not just a PR. If told otherwise find another notario.

I am processing 5 Seguro Popular memberships today just in case expats are excluded from SP starting next week. 

Perhaps it was the electronic signature part that required our in-person visit to SAT. Why we needed it I don't know but we were advised if the need to sell our place should arise we should get in compliance with all of the (current) rules for qualifying for the exemption. You of all people surely know that the "rules" are applied differently in different areas. You can know the law backwards and forward and stand on any street corner reciting said rules but if they are applied differently in a given area, good luck! As for Notario shopping......it certainly at one time was rather common and we have personal knowledge and experience at that. Now if a Notario fails to send the required capital gains tax to SAT (and give the seller a factura for that payment) bad things can happen to him/her. Thus the need for an RFC. It turned out in our case we each had one from the time we had our S A de C V in Ajijic but of course the address was completely wrong. Also, we all know the buyer selects the Notario so unless the seller can hoodwink the buyer (and their complicit agent) into using some preferred Notario, that solution is a non-starter. My advice was simply to know how the rules are applied in your jurisdiction and get in compliance. For instance, I "have been told" (red flags go up) that in another area a CFE bill with your RFC for 6 months is not required, simply signing a document swearing to that fact is sufficient.  When in Rome is probably the relevant advice. I certainly concede your superior knowledge of San Miguel.

Yes, Chapala did not put CURP's on some Inmigrado (now Residente Permanente) cards. Mine and my hubby's included. We did have our CURPS clearly printed in our FM2 books and, when I questioned why it was not on the card when signing it in downtown Guadalajara, was told it didn't matter. Sigh. Anyway, I now have my CURP printed out separately by Denise at Spencer's office.

On the subject of "Capital Gains", the lady who owned my house previously put the utilities in my name before closing... then put them back in her name to get the RFC on the bills for closing... and then back in my name. The rules change and, if any State bends them it would be Jalisco. imho.

Agree with Ferret and since PV is also in Jalisco even within a given state the rules may bend. Knowledge (of how it's done where you reside) is power.

My office signs people up daily and without any issues

31 minutes ago, marmorado said:

I have now heard that you have to file for securidad popular within a certain period after you get your temporal. Say it isn’t so!!!

It isn't so.

PSST SAT is FEDERAL. It does not vary from location to location, state to state. 

It was December 2015 when SAT changed the FEDERAL law requiring RFC for real estate transactions.

Some may want to make it complicated but as Spencer and I noted we obtain RFC's frequently and easily without issues. 

PSST sellar has every right to have their own notario representing them. 

Um I think Spencer was referring to SP.  And so you are telling everyone there is no variation in different parts of Mexico as to how the law regarding capital gains is actually handled?  If so, you truly are the expert we all need. Just spell it out so everyone can read and understand it. Wish you had cut to the chase earlier so I could print out the answer and show it to all the PV agents and I will make sure you get the credit you so richly deserve.

Suggest you drop the PSST references, it really doesn't look very professional.

Please don't keep us waiting any longer.

PS  We all know about needing the RFC number, it's how one proves they are entitled to that exemption that was the crux of the matter.

PSSST there is no variation in the SAT law. Obviously you had a dumb notario so I suggest you find another. 

PSSST relying on an agent to give you the answer is less than smart. Maybe have them do your taxes as well.

And quito misinforming sellers they can not select their own notario.

Thanks for your valuable and constructive comments. I shall try to remember my "place" and always defer to an esteemed "facilitator". It might be helpful if you included your cedula number in your bio. Have a great day!

Sellers can choose their own Notario but the language in the standard boilerplate real estate sales contract needs to be changed prior to any contract with a potential buyer.  We did that on the sale of our Ajijic house in late 2012. 

When we bought another Ajijic property in early 2017, the seller also wanted to select the Notario and that was made clear in their sales contract before we signed off.  

There is of course the risk that a potential buyer will not want to defer to the seller on their choice of Notario.  However the seller's real estate agent should be able to explain the reasoning for the Notario selection to the buyer's agent and since the issue is usually the seller's capital gain situation, most agents here are aware of this phenomenon.  

A seller can certainly make being able to choose the Notario a condition of the offer to purchase. A good buyer's agent would look seriously at that and advise their client accordingly based on the exact reason the seller wished to do that. In the old days it was frequently done to record a sales price that was lower than the actual, thus benefitting the seller and throwing a much larger potential gain onto the buyer. If the reason was simply because the Notario had examined the transaction in advance and had agreed the seller had no capital gains liability then that would be a legitimate reason to do the selecting.  IMHO some agents simply don't understand the rules and a few do understand but shy away from telling the client anything that is not directly asked in fear of losing a commission. Certainly not all agents by any means. Especially in Mexico it's incumbent on the client to be informed. If you don't learn it beforehand you will usually learn it later.

• 2 months later...

Funny how topics get "Hi-Jacked" so easily. This thread started out with the Seguro Popular discussion and somehow got onto real estate stuff. I recently got kicked out of IMSS after 8 years because I didn't have my documents "Stamped" by the Mexican Consulate (in Canada) to re-apply for this year. So, I am looking toward Seguro Popular as a replacement since I am not eligible for any Canadian assistance.  What is a going rate for this alternate health care? I saw a bunch of typical questions they ask you, but how does that relate (in Pesos) for a fee? If they think that I am rich (on my pension), what kind of rate would that look like for me and my wife?

Archived