Chapala.com Webboard

Shade Cloth Seamstress?

tombo

We need a custom size shade cloth for our entry way--about 6' X 18'. Our idea is to buy a length of shade cloth from the nearby ferreteria and have a seamstress sew on reinforcing cloth around the edges with grommets. 

Any ideas of someone in Ajijic who has experience with this kind of work?

You might ask at any of the upholstery places, they would have the heavier sewing machine to do the job. We bought shade cloth and it was 2 meters wide which is more than the 6' you say you need. I just folded over the edge and put grommets in myself didn't bother with the full length reinforcing or sewing. I did however put some reinforcement on the grommet holes.

I had a large piece made to cover three of our outdoor clotheslines. Bought the fabric at the hardware store one block EAST of the traffic lights at the main intersection in Chapala (the orange building on the corner).  They had it made up exactly to my specs, including putting in grommets (for tying down on three sides), in a very short period of time  and it's an excellent job.

Has been up for 4 years and is just like new -- no tears in (required) seams due to  size, grommets in place, etc. -- even with  heavy winds from time to time.

I used small 1" squares of outdoor upholstery fabric I had in my collection of stuff;  grommet/shade cloth (folded at least once)/fabric/grommet  I don't have a lot of stress on the grommets - cloth is mounted on a fence. Got some denim (old jeans) or any heavier weight fabric should suffice as reinforcement.

Archived