Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

Our transition team from Anita’s Animals would like to thank everyone who donated either at the tianguis or the shelter. Specifically a shout out to Judy Dykstra-Brown and Phil & Cheryl (sorry no last name was given to me). Your money will go for worker wages and vet care. You are literally life savers. We have changed the name of the organization from Anitas Animals to Lakeside Village Rescue with Anita's blessing. The link to our New website is www.lakesidevillagerescue.weebly.com  We also have a new Facebook page coming soon. We will be at the Wednesday tianguis again and this is the best place to bring cash donations as we can keep better track. We will also be accepting new or gently used pet items. No more sales of books or clothing unless they are pet related. Also and most important, we need volunteers to help with our first big clean up project!  The first one will be primarily sorting items and organizing. Please bring gloves and garbage bags and boxes. We will hold this on Thursday the 15th at 9am. With many hands we can make light work. Please join us at the shelter just before the racket club. You will probably need to park on the main road leading to the racket club and walk in on the private road to the shelter. See you Thursday and thanks again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where were you when Anita needed help? We saw you at the tianguis last week and haven't seen you before....Anita, the two Jackies and Tulu  have been working the stand by themselves for years and you

I think the transition team deserves a vote of thanks from the community for having the courage and compassion to step up to the plate and take on this situation - you get one from me certainly.

To all of those volunteers trying to give those animals a great temporary home, now that Anita was forced to go home because of health problems. I want to thank you very much, like many here I want to

Hello to the transition team! I visited the shelter in September and was very moved by the animals and the place. I live on the Bay of Banderas and would like to come there to adopt two adult cats. Is it possible for me to do this in the near future, e.g., in the next couple of weeks? I would arrive by car mid-afternoon and come directly to the shelter to pick out my cats. Then return the next morning to pick them up for the drive back home, which is about 5 1/2 hours. Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not from up north either. I wish you all the best during these difficult times and will be back before the end of the month with donations.

EDIT:  I 'll be back assuming the rainy season has really started, which I think it is in the process of doing :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jraschko said:

Our transition team from Anita’s Animals would like to thank everyone who donated either at the tianguis or the shelter. Specifically a shout out to Judy Dykstra-Brown and Phil & Cheryl (sorry no last name was given to me). Your money will go for worker wages and vet care. You are literally life savers. We have changed the name of the organization from Anitas Animals to Lakeside Village Rescue with Anita's blessing. The link to our New website is www.lakesidevillagerescue.weebly.com  We also have a new Facebook page coming soon. We will be at the Wednesday tianguis again and this is the best place to bring cash donations as we can keep better track. We will also be accepting new or gently used pet items. No more sales of books or clothing unless they are pet related. Also and most important, we need volunteers to help with our first big clean up project!  The first one will be primarily sorting items and organizing. Please bring gloves and garbage bags and boxes. We will hold this on Thursday the 15th at 9am. With many hands we can make light work. Please join us at the shelter just before the racket club. You will probably need to park on the main road leading to the racket club and walk in on the private road to the shelter. See you Thursday and thanks again. 

No more books or clothes?!! These items were the main draw of donations and good will for Anita's. Think getting rid of them will be a big mistake. Also heard that there is a large amount of hardcover books  at the shelter. What will become of those?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for your responses. We will not be accepting any clothing. All of the current clothing at the shelter will be donated to the Poco y Poco project for the poor villages to the east of the lake. Miscellaneous items that could sell for 100 pesos or more (their rules) will be consigned at Upscale Bazaar where items will be sold and 70% goes to Lakeside Village Rescue and 30% to homeless and abused boys. Its a win win in my opinion. I will be working with Upscale Bazaar to allow people to take their donated items directly to the store and avoid a middle man. Pet items will be what we will sell at the Wednesday Tianguis in addition to information, adoptions etc. 

Sorry about the link. Thanks for correcting that. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2017 at 7:22 PM, carolinec said:

Hello to the transition team! I visited the shelter in September and was very moved by the animals and the place. I live on the Bay of Banderas and would like to come there to adopt two adult cats. Is it possible for me to do this in the near future, e.g., in the next couple of weeks? I would arrive by car mid-afternoon and come directly to the shelter to pick out my cats. Then return the next morning to pick them up for the drive back home, which is about 5 1/2 hours. Thank you!

Yes. We are unable to take any new animals but adoptions are always appreciated. We are in the process of getting the vet to check out all the animals and hope that will be completed within a couple of weeks. Hours at the shelter for the time being are 9-1 Mon-Sat. Thank you for your interest. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2017 at 8:20 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

No more books or clothes?!! These items were the main draw of donations and good will for Anita's. Think getting rid of them will be a big mistake. Also heard that there is a large amount of hardcover books  at the shelter. What will become of those?

It is true that we are no longer selling books and clothes. Our focus at the Tianguis will be adoptions and to be a central place for donations of cash and food. Additionally we will be handing out information about the shelter and selling pet items. The books and clothing were very labor intensive and contributed just a small percentage of the total income. There is a fellow who is buying all of the books. We appreciate your concern for the shelter and look forward to continuing to care for the animals of lakeside. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2017 at 11:18 AM, carolinec said:

About the donations: I was planning to bring a large box of donation items--clothes and a few other items appropriate for the lake that I cannot use living on the coast.

Thank you for thinking of us. We are however no longer taking donations of clothing or books. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please keep us posted. I did contribute food at the Animal Shelter. -- I hope to see articles in the Guad Reporter, as well as an update in the Ojo. I am concerned that the stray puppy I took there many years ago might NOT have been adopted and sadly might still be there. I thought the dogs and cats were being adopted, and I did give a reasonable donation for the stray puppy who turned up at our house during renovations many years ago, but now I am wondering if the poor puppy grew into a mature dog and is still there! I was naive back in those days--I thought Anita was finding homes for strays. Alas, I realize now that one cannot find homes for all strays. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was only a few years ago that neighbouring stalls at the tianguis got all up in arms about the animals, and their presence every Wednesday. And Anita asked people to stop bringing strays, to satisfy the nasty demands of the other vendors. That did not deter anyone, in particular the lazier "owners" who felt perfectly fine tossing off loads of kittens and puppies every chance they got. Anita and Jackie and others managed to bring a very few animals every week, and perhaps these were even more "dropoffs", for adoption, and a lot more clothes and books to make up for the general loss of other help.

So, can I ask, what has changed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The last Wednesday  market that the original crew worked, they took in 3000 pesos.  The new crew has never reported what they took in.  If you stop the things that brought in the cash, how will you pay for food and the Shelter workers.  Sounds like someone is lazy. The used clothing was very popular with the locals.  Both sides were happy. Is there any long range plan to survive?  Oh yeah, no books for sale?  Do you have any idea how popular  the books were, and how much money they brought in.  Anitas was a social center for people.  That is over. With the moves that the present crew is making, it's hard to see a happy ending to all this.  I hope I'm wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JayBearII said:

Please keep us posted. I did contribute food at the Animal Shelter. -- I hope to see articles in the Guad Reporter, as well as an update in the Ojo. I am concerned that the stray puppy I took there many years ago might NOT have been adopted and sadly might still be there. I thought the dogs and cats were being adopted, and I did give a reasonable donation for the stray puppy who turned up at our house during renovations many years ago, but now I am wondering if the poor puppy grew into a mature dog and is still there! I was naive back in those days--I thought Anita was finding homes for strays. Alas, I realize now that one cannot find homes for all strays. 

We have a writer on our team and they will continue doing an article for the Ojo and we will be in touch with the Guad Reporter as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jaykay said:

The last Wednesday  market that the original crew worked, they took in 3000 pesos.  The new crew has never reported what they took in.  If you stop the things that brought in the cash, how will you pay for food and the Shelter workers.  Sounds like someone is lazy. The used clothing was very popular with the locals.  Both sides were happy. Is there any long range plan to survive?  Oh yeah, no books for sale?  Do you have any idea how popular  the books were, and how much money they brought in.  Anitas was a social center for people.  That is over. With the moves that the present crew is making, it's hard to see a happy ending to all this.  I hope I'm wrong.

The transition team has extensive backgrounds in non profit work and fundraising.  Long range plans and sustainability are of utmost importance to us besides the current situation with the animals.  We appreciate that the books and clothing were popular. They however took room at the shelter that is needed by the animals.  It has been determined by the transition team that the cost of labor and resources to handle these items far outweighed the income received from them. We have access to all of the donation history. Anitas being a social center for people does not fit the mission statement which is primarily about the animals. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

I think the transition team deserves a vote of thanks from the community for having the courage and compassion to step up to the plate and take on this situation - you get one from me certainly.

Thank you very much. Change is always hard but it has been proven that the efforts Anitas Animals were making was not sustainable. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

It was only a few years ago that neighbouring stalls at the tianguis got all up in arms about the animals, and their presence every Wednesday. And Anita asked people to stop bringing strays, to satisfy the nasty demands of the other vendors.

Back in the day, Anita would bring puppies, kittens and small dogs to the tianguis and display them at the booth. She placed quite a few that way.

My understanding was that sleazy local backyard breeders started bringing their "purebred" puppies to friend's stalls and hawking them for high prices that some silly people actually paid. They had their kids wandering around trying to sell puppies and it got completely out of hand. The ruling was made that no pets would be sold. Anita continued to bring a few puppies and kittens but they were kept in crates at the back, were very low key, and only shown if someone asked about them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2017 at 9:58 PM, ComputerGuy said:

It was only a few years ago that neighbouring stalls at the tianguis got all up in arms about the animals, and their presence every Wednesday. And Anita asked people to stop bringing strays, to satisfy the nasty demands of the other vendors. That did not deter anyone, in particular the lazier "owners" who felt perfectly fine tossing off loads of kittens and puppies every chance they got. Anita and Jackie and others managed to bring a very few animals every week, and perhaps these were even more "dropoffs", for adoption, and a lot more clothes and books to make up for the general loss of other help.

So, can I ask, what has changed?

The transition team is learning as we go in many respects. Currently we are not able to take in any new animals due to the fact that the shelter is overpopulated and contaminated. By clearing out the rooms where miscellaneous items of questionable value are stored we can use that space to deal with the above issues.  If anyone wishes to lend a hand tomorrow from 9-1 with our clean up project, it would be much appreciated. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...