Chapala.com Webboard

Anitas Animals Transition Team

7 hours ago, jraschko said:

I dont believe anyone is attacking Anita. We are dealing with the situation by rolling up our sleeves and doing the hard dirty work. If you've never been to the shelter, especially recently, then I don't believe you are one to criticize. 

No not attacking, If the shelter looks neglected then it could be she hasn't been there. Most of your posting is how the "transition team" is going to clean it up, get the dreadfully sick animals well . Nothing to indicate why you and the team are even doing this.  Very little mention of all the years of Anita's kindness and sacrifice for the animals, the fact she would take a disabled dog or cat because it was a shelter.  . A cleaner place would certainly better but these posts of you and the team making everything so much better, does reflect on Anita and her volunteers and doesn't make you seem like very warm or caring person, just judgmental.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a busy Wednesday and can't stop by the Tianguis but I have a few suggestions. I imagine you are feeling pretty overwhelmed at this point.

First, reach out to the Joco gringo and Mexican community. Anita focused on the animals and I didn't see that she used the community much. Start with the Racquet Club and get to know your neighbors. I think you'll find them a wonderful resource.

Second, add those bios to the Web page. Give people a good feeling about the levels of experience of your team.

Good luck

19 hours ago, jraschko said:

There does not seem to be any reason for all of the animals to be euthanized but the transition team does not have a legal basis currently to make that decision. We hope that will change later this week as we have established a Friday deadline. 

What on earth are you talking about?  Euthanizing all the animals?  Makes me wonder what legal authority the transition team has to even consider such an action.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I think what he's trying to tell you is that if the shelter isn't saved, that could be the outcome.  Whoever has legal control could make this decision.

How many of the folks who are questioning these volunteers are trying to help out?

There is nothing wrong with questioning when the information is given in tiny bits and pieces. Why would anyone just take the word of strangers and continue donating money and food? Just because people do not go up to the shelter does  not mean they are not helping. Myself and many others give on a monthly or when they can basis, that is helping out. None of this would be happening if only they had done it properly by notifying the community with all the pertinent  information.   When I hear things like, well most of  the cats are sick and will probably have to be put down and many of the dogs are in bad shape and who knows what will happen. If this is not the case then please state so because this is what they will continue to get without information. No one is against these volunteers but who the heck are they and what is their long term plan for the shelter? You can achieve more when you let the community in as to what you are planning.  Saving the shelter should include the community and not just a few people calling themselves the transition team. It is the community that helps feed and gives cash donations for medical care so we have every right to ask questions. I hope you can understand that.

5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Why would anyone rely on a web board to ascertain the actual truth of anything?

Got me.  It's a place for quick information, idle chatter and some levity.  Some people even think it is a place to gab on incessantly like you did in you old college debate team.

Need a question answered, ask it.  Good food bad food tell us.  Say something sassy.  Let's have some fun and a few laughs.

All comments here are fictional and are not based on any current events or actual people.

To all of those volunteers trying to give those animals a great temporary home, now that Anita was forced to go home because of health problems. I want to thank you very much, like many here I want to know exactly what is happening and how bad it was and or is.

BUT you volunteers have a great deal of work to do, and frankly you can not take the time to answer all of our questions until things are up and running again. So I shall wait and not bother you with my questions. I hope to be back by the end of the month and at that time will volunteer in some manner or way.

I wish you all (to include the animals) the very best during these difficult times.

1 hour ago, El Menudo said:

Our guy did not come from Anita's but, our hats are off to all that do the HARD work of rescue.  It is difficult on the body and soul.  Anything they do is better than nothing at all.  We have had our guy with us for eight years now and he rules our lives.  Wouldn't have it any other way.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

To all of those volunteers trying to give those animals a great temporary home, now that Anita was forced to go home because of health problems. I want to thank you very much, like many here I want to know exactly what is happening and how bad it was and or is.

BUT you volunteers have a great deal of work to do, and frankly you can not take the time to answer all of our questions until things are up and running again. So I shall wait and not bother you with my questions. I hope to be back by the end of the month and at that time will volunteer in some manner or way.

I wish you all (to include the animals) the very best during these difficult times.

Bears repeating.  Thank you Pete, my sentiments exactly.

20 hours ago, purpleflower said:

There is nothing wrong with questioning when the information is given in tiny bits and pieces. Why would anyone just take the word of strangers and continue donating money and food? Just because people do not go up to the shelter does  not mean they are not helping. Myself and many others give on a monthly or when they can basis, that is helping out. None of this would be happening if only they had done it properly by notifying the community with all the pertinent  information.   When I hear things like, well most of  the cats are sick and will probably have to be put down and many of the dogs are in bad shape and who knows what will happen. If this is not the case then please state so because this is what they will continue to get without information. No one is against these volunteers but who the heck are they and what is their long term plan for the shelter? You can achieve more when you let the community in as to what you are planning.  Saving the shelter should include the community and not just a few people calling themselves the transition team. It is the community that helps feed and gives cash donations for medical care so we have every right to ask questions. I hope you can understand that.

exactly, purpleflower. It certainly wasn't necessary to shut down the wednesday books/clothes tables at the tianguis to clean up the animal facilities. the hard working volunteers  and donaters were shown the back of their hand by the new "team" and told that their efforts were useless and unneeded. there was no effort to connect with the weekly contributors. Heard the books were sold off by the pound to someone and clothing given away. this outreach project was an important meeting place for gringos and mexicans and it will be hard going to reestablish the trust in these relationships. it affects the entire tianguis as I and others consider whether to go to the tianguis or not because there is no longer an Anita's Animals to stop by and peruse and schmooze....it was the only thing you couldn't buy elsewhere. also appaulled at the talk of putting down animals, which is in contradiction to Anita's dedication to save all animals regardless of adoptability. Animals do have to be fed and cleaned up after on a daily basis and Anita has been gone for at least 3 weeks, so her standards may have been relaxed,but that is no reason to disparage her hard work and kill inconvenient animals. These are big shoes that need to be filled by someone with a big heart.

1 hour ago, LaChula2 said:

I went to the Tianguis at around 10:15 and there was no booth where Anita always was.

Oh no. That was my contact point with Anita's shelter too. It was there where I went to make contributions. And it was there where I was going to make future contributions. The volunteers did a great service by maintaining contact with the public. I sure hope this is only a temporary issue, and that they will be out there again very soon.

I am confused that this group, who call themselves a transition team, would under any circumstances not turn up today at tianguis, when clearly all along they have been promoting that we discuss the situation with them there.

On 6/20/2017 at 0:13 PM, jraschko said:

I'm sorry I missed your friends. Toni and I were at the shelter yesterday from 11:30 until 5:00 cleaning and helping with some of the sick animals. Dr Omar Reyes was also there. There are many rumors flying around. There does not seem to be any reason for all of the animals to be euthanized but the transition team does not have a legal basis currently to make that decision. We hope that will change later this week as we have established a Friday deadline. 

So Anita's is going from a no-kill shelter to only those animals which are highly adoptable will live? Anita dedicated her whole being to saving the dogs and cats no matter what their condition only to have it end like this. Such a shame.

All this drama re no $$ for the animals, yet it was my understanding that, at least 2 weeks ago, there was enough food to last at least six weeks. There is also a bank account with $$, so things are not as dire as presented. 

I question what Anita will find on her property and at her house upon her return. As she traveled to Germany for a hip replacement, it will probably be some months before she is back. She could also decide to stay over there, if that is her decision, she will be sorely missed by many as she is already. 

17 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

On 6/20/2017 at 0:13 PM, jraschko said:

I'm sorry I missed your friends. Toni and I were at the shelter yesterday from 11:30 until 5:00 cleaning and helping with some of the sick animals. Dr Omar Reyes was also there. There are many rumors flying around. There does not seem to be any reason for all of the animals to be euthanized but the transition team does not have a legal basis currently to make that decision. We hope that will change later this week as we have established a Friday deadline. 

So Anita's is going from a no-kill shelter to only those animals which are highly adoptable will live? Anita dedicated her whole being to saving the dogs and cats no matter what their condition only to have it end like this. Such a shame.

How you got that from what jaraschko posted to your statement honestly baffles me.  Jraschko was updating us on conditions and squashing rumors the animals were going to be put down.

All I'm suggesting is that folks give these volunteers some breathing room, help out if you can and avoid being harsh armchair critics from behind keyboards.  It is common knowledge that Anita had her hands full out there and conditions were less than optimal for the animals.

Today is Friday, hopefully we'll see an update soon.  Meanwhile, all our best wishes go to Anita for a successful outcome.

18 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Sounds like time for a new Anita to emerge and duplicate her game plan.

Volunteers?

It is not as simple as duplicating her game plan - These animals are at Anita's home - perhaps better said is:  it is time for someone to purchase the property and continue the shelter - 

PS has anyone ever clarified what the transition team is transitioning from and to - that is, I thought Anita wanted to sell HER property - so is the transition team trying to find a buyer?  or are they buying it?

32 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:

It is not as simple as duplicating her game plan - These animals are at Anita's home - perhaps better said is:  it is time for someone to purchase the property and continue the shelter - 

PS has anyone ever clarified what the transition team is transitioning from and to - that is, I thought Anita wanted to sell HER property - so is the transition team trying to find a buyer?  or are they buying it?

the home where the shelter is located is not in Anita's name and probably not for sale, although it wouldn't hurt to ask....

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

exactly, purpleflower. It certainly wasn't necessary to shut down the wednesday books/clothes tables at the tianguis to clean up the animal facilities. the hard working volunteers  and donaters were shown the back of their hand by the new "team" and told that their efforts were useless and unneeded. there was no effort to connect with the weekly contributors. Heard the books were sold off by the pound to someone and clothing given away. this outreach project was an important meeting place for gringos and mexicans and it will be hard going to reestablish the trust in these relationships. it affects the entire tianguis as I and others consider whether to go to the tianguis or not because there is no longer an Anita's Animals to stop by and peruse and schmooze....it was the only thing you couldn't buy elsewhere. also appaulled at the talk of putting down animals, which is in contradiction to Anita's dedication to save all animals regardless of adoptability. Animals do have to be fed and cleaned up after on a daily basis and Anita has been gone for at least 3 weeks, so her standards may have been relaxed,but that is no reason to disparage her hard work and kill inconvenient animals. These are big shoes that need to be filled by someone with a big heart.

Amen

OK I'm going to ask nicely here for a pause in the second guessing, speculating and arm chair quarterbacking until the people who are actually working at and on the shelter get back to us with an update.  All of the complaints and doubts have been thoroughly aired at this point and it seems clear we all need more information before drawing conclusions as to the future of this shelter.

I promise to the volunteers actually working at the shelter that this thread will not be allowed to generate into accusations and/or personal attacks.  Those will be promptly deleted and sanctions imposed if necessary.  

Let's stick to the facts and once again, if you are in a position to help determine a positive outcome here please do so.  The welfare of the animals at the shelter, who are unable to speak for themselves, should be everyone's concerns. 

Thanks for your cooperation.

Archived