Chapala.com Webboard

Anitas Animals Transition Team

19 hours ago, jraschko said:

Thank you very much. Change is always hard but it has been proven that the efforts Anitas Animals were making was not sustainable. 

Where were you when Anita needed help? We saw you at the tianguis last week and haven't seen you before....Anita, the two Jackies and Tulu  have been working the stand by themselves for years and you come in and denigrate their work. And alienate their support base. Sure 3000p doesn't seem like a lot,but the date you are basing your info on was in our hottest season, no one around, Anita gone and they still brought in that much from items that cost them zero and sold with volunteer labor. By my calulations at the very least that would bring in 21,000p,but a better way of figuring would be this: i give approximately 50p/week/52 weeks a year = 2600p. according to your 3000p for the worst day of of the year, if I am average,which I think I am, there would have been about 60 people donating on that day. If that is pretty much average, which we know is the lowest figure, the tianguis books/clothes bring in 156,000p per year, which is not insignificant. Anita has worked hard over the years to build up good will in both the gringo and mexican communities and you are willing to throw it all away because of some misguided idea that narrowing your scope to exclude these fundraisers and the people who dedicated their time and efforts every week is some how an improvement is??? I personally have 12 cats dependent on me and donated to Anita's mainly to support her and her crew's work.Good luck finding your base.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I know is Anita was totally dedicated to the animals, And I wish to thank her and all of you volunteers for the great work you all have done. I hope that jrschko meant that there are so many animals needing help in our part of Mexico, that no organization is large enough to help all of them.  All I know is that Anita is a fantastic person and I shall miss her greatly.

I wish all of you the volunteers the very best and when I return to Mexico, I will be more generous making donations than I have been during the past.

My bottom line is that I love animals and they cannot take care of themselves.  Things may change and we can only hope for the better.  I will continue to support the shelter and know that they will find the formula that is a win-win for the animals and everyone involved.

I think it is great that people are willing to help we need all the willing volunteers we can get to take care of the never ending influx of dogs and cats needing help.

We have some donations for you at LFA Pet Store when you have time to stop by.

On 6/12/2017 at 9:58 PM, ComputerGuy said:

It was only a few years ago that neighbouring stalls at the tianguis got all up in arms about the animals, and their presence every Wednesday. And Anita asked people to stop bringing strays, to satisfy the nasty demands of the other vendors. That did not deter anyone, in particular the lazier "owners" who felt perfectly fine tossing off loads of kittens and puppies every chance they got. Anita and Jackie and others managed to bring a very few animals every week, and perhaps these were even more "dropoffs", for adoption, and a lot more clothes and books to make up for the general loss of other help.

So, can I ask, what has changed?

Right now the shelter cannot accept any animals due to the diseases that are rampant there. We are working with several vets to determine the problems and solve them as quickly as possible so that the shelter will once again be able to accept animals. As far as donations and income goes, we have several other revenue streams and expense savers to take advantage of for financial sustainability. There will be tough decisions ahead for the existing animals as well as future intake. Our team will make those tough decisions. It is always harder to say no, but we may have to on behalf of the other animals. 

On 6/14/2017 at 7:52 PM, sue said:

I think it is great that people are willing to help we need all the willing volunteers we can get to take care of the never ending influx of dogs and cats needing help.

We have some donations for you at LFA Pet Store when you have time to stop by.

Someone will be by in the next couple of days. Thank you so much. 

On 6/14/2017 at 5:51 PM, LifeNo5 said:

My bottom line is that I love animals and they cannot take care of themselves.  Things may change and we can only hope for the better.  I will continue to support the shelter and know that they will find the formula that is a win-win for the animals and everyone involved.

Thank you so much. 

On 6/13/2017 at 3:40 PM, MtnMama said:

Back in the day, Anita would bring puppies, kittens and small dogs to the tianguis and display them at the booth. She placed quite a few that way.

My understanding was that sleazy local backyard breeders started bringing their "purebred" puppies to friend's stalls and hawking them for high prices that some silly people actually paid. They had their kids wandering around trying to sell puppies and it got completely out of hand. The ruling was made that no pets would be sold. Anita continued to bring a few puppies and kittens but they were kept in crates at the back, were very low key, and only shown if someone asked about them.

Adoption will be a big focus at the Tianguis in the future when all the animals are healthy. We plan for an adoption book with pictures and bios plus a couple live animals. When the shelter is cleaned up it will be a wonderful and happy place to visit and handle adoptions. 

On 6/14/2017 at 8:27 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

Where were you when Anita needed help? We saw you at the tianguis last week and haven't seen you before....Anita, the two Jackies and Tulu  have been working the stand by themselves for years and you come in and denigrate their work. And alienate their support base. Sure 3000p doesn't seem like a lot,but the date you are basing your info on was in our hottest season, no one around, Anita gone and they still brought in that much from items that cost them zero and sold with volunteer labor. By my calulations at the very least that would bring in 21,000p,but a better way of figuring would be this: i give approximately 50p/week/52 weeks a year = 2600p. according to your 3000p for the worst day of of the year, if I am average,which I think I am, there would have been about 60 people donating on that day. If that is pretty much average, which we know is the lowest figure, the tianguis books/clothes bring in 156,000p per year, which is not insignificant. Anita has worked hard over the years to build up good will in both the gringo and mexican communities and you are willing to throw it all away because of some misguided idea that narrowing your scope to exclude these fundraisers and the people who dedicated their time and efforts every week is some how an improvement is??? I personally have 12 cats dependent on me and donated to Anita's mainly to support her and her crew's work.Good luck finding your base.

One of our team has been a faithful volunteer of Anita's for a year. The rest of the team are newbies to the area. No one has denigrated anyone's work that I know of. Anita's organization did what they could and it was thanks to the volunteers they had. We are grateful for the work done up until now. The transition team is working very hard to clean up the shelter and save the animals. I would prefer to put my focus on that instead of responding to negativity. We have limited time for AAC's. Anonymous Armchair Critics. If you have real concerns please PM me. I will do my best to address them. 

Will there be Spanish-speaking volunteers at the Tianguis?   Is Tulu still there?  

I have witnessed many local people asking where to go to get their newly-adopted pets checked up and/or neutered.   I never had a pet in my life till I moved here.  Thanks to Anita and crew, I was able to get advice to be a good puppy mama.  I'm sure I was not the only" pet people" who were helped.  

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, jraschko said:

One of our team has been a faithful volunteer of Anita's for a year. The rest of the team are newbies to the area. No one has denigrated anyone's work that I know of. Anita's organization did what they could and it was thanks to the volunteers they had. We are grateful for the work done up until now. The transition team is working very hard to clean up the shelter and save the animals. I would prefer to put my focus on that instead of responding to negativity. We have limited time for AAC's. Anonymous Armchair Critics. If you have real concerns please PM me. I will do my best to address them. 

No I am not going to PM you. I have been there several times recently and since you have all this experience, maybe you can share what experience this "transition " team has. Who will foster the kittens that are only 4 days old? Oh, that's right , you just won't take them.  Who will take a sick animal to a vet if one can't come.   Who is the one designated the boss ? And the dogs  or cats who are not  adoptable??  A blind dog? an animal with 3 legs? an old animal that cannot get around well?  What happens to them? "There will be tough decisions ahead for the existing animals as well as future intake". No kill right???  I was up there recently and there was at least 7 weeks of food. So they are not starving.  Is there going to be 24 hr watch?

Does the transition team own your new shelter?  All you seem to speak to is cleaning up and diseased animals ".Diseases that are rampant there".  Really ? bit of an exaggeration.!!!  You cannot condemn the whole shelter if a few animals get sick. You have secret revenue sources so you are not accountable to anyone. If you plan on being an AC , you will have to account financially.I know she had quit a few pesos I never worked at the shelter but was a close friend of Anita's and adopted a clean, neutered dog who had all the shots.

Your whole approach is offensive.....more an attack on Anita and the condition of the shelter ( which is questionable) Well white knights it is yours now.

22 hours ago, LaChula2 said:

Will there be Spanish-speaking volunteers at the Tianguis?   Is Tulu still there?  

I have witnessed many local people asking where to go to get their newly-adopted pets checked up and/or neutered.   I never had a pet in my life till I moved here.  Thanks to Anita and crew, I was able to get advice to be a good puppy mama.  I'm sure I was not the only" pet people" who were helped.  

I was told that Tulu was let go.

Just be glad Amazon didn't take over. They just bought Whole Foods and the rumors are that they intend to replace many workers with bots to save money and attract more middle and lower income people with lower prices. 

Hello all....

I am not sure what is happening with this transition or what. Some friends went to the shelter yesterday to ask if a place had been donated to shelter the animals but they didn't find anyone there. All the animals seem to still be there.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Where are things at? There was a rumor that all the animals were going to be euthanized. There seems to be a lot of confusion on what is going on.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Just be glad Amazon didn't take over. They just bought Whole Foods and the rumors are that they intend to replace many workers with bots to save money and attract more middle and lower income people with lower prices. 

Amazon are destroying jobs NOB by the hundreds of thousands.  It seems none of these companies ask the simple question as to just who can buy from them if they don't have jobs.  Not everyone can be a rocket scientist, we need work for the regular folks too.  Gross overuse of automation is destroying society IMO.

This is rather off topic.  On topic, it seems the critics aren't considering the alternative the shelter is closed and yes a lot of those animals are unadoptable and would have to be put down.  Perhaps a bit less armchair criticizing and a bit more helping out?

I lament the loss of jobs in the horse and carriage industry in the early 1900s, when Ford's "master plan" began to take hold. Not only did carriage manufacturers go out of business, but places like New York city banned horses, too, citing road apples and dead animals on the roadside... thus decimating the horse industry.

Someone told me "that's progress".

On the other hand, I am very glad we have so many interested parties helping to rescue animals lakeside. The right way or the wrong way, as a minor participant, is not up to me to decide.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/28/15086576/robot-jobs-automation-unemployent-us-labor-market

Not the same CG, sorry.  The industrial revolution was a huge net creator of jobs.  

https://qz.com/895681/silicon-valley-is-right-our-jobs-are-already-disappearing-due-to-automation/

Stephen Hawking says that “we are at the most dangerous moment in the development of humanity” and that the “rise of artificial intelligence is likely to extend job destruction deep into the middle classes, with only the most caring, creative, or supervisory roles remaining.”

Sam Hinkie, the smartest man in sports and a Stanford grad, asks, “How are you preparing your kids for a life with 60% unemployment?”

Sam Altman, the head of YCombinator, is so convinced that we’re going to need to figure out new ways of providing people with a means to live that he’s giving ~$20,000 each to 1,000 people in Oakland for a year just to see what they do with their new jobless income.

Literally the smartest people in the world think an unprecedented wave of job destruction is coming with the development of artificial intelligence, robotics, software, and automation. My friends in Silicon Valley have read the Second Machine Age and Rise of the Robots and they see a wave coming.

The White House published a report last month that reinforced this view. Some of the headline stats:

• 83% of the jobs where people make less than $20 per hour will be subject to automation or replacement.
  • Between 9% and 47% of jobs are in danger of being made irrelevant due to technological change, with the worst threats falling among the less educated.
  • Between 2.2 and 3.1 million car, bus, and truck driving jobs in the US will be eliminated by the advent of self-driving vehicles.

Try comparing apples to Apples. :)

Definitely agree with your last sentence.  Let's give these folks a chance, OK?  If any of you are that concerned, see what you can do to help out.

What happened to Anita's Animals? Shouldn't we stay on topic? Oh by the way there are many things sold on Amazon that don't come from Amazon. They simply act as an in-between. I just ordered a new Shaw Direct receiver via Amazon from a dealer in Saskatchewan

Now back to Anita's animals. I greatly appreciate the effort made by these volunteers trying to clean things up and get things organized under new management. And I am saddened to see angry posts talking about how bad things are or were. I would like to thank those who are volunteering for their valiant efforts

Edit: I wrote this before the last post suggesting that you come to the Wednesday market.

2 hours ago, Moon Snake said:

Hello all....

I am not sure what is happening with this transition or what. Some friends went to the shelter yesterday to ask if a place had been donated to shelter the animals but they didn't find anyone there. All the animals seem to still be there.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Where are things at? There was a rumor that all the animals were going to be euthanized. There seems to be a lot of confusion on what is going on.

I'm sorry I missed your friends. Toni and I were at the shelter yesterday from 11:30 until 5:00 cleaning and helping with some of the sick animals. Dr Omar Reyes was also there. There are many rumors flying around. There does not seem to be any reason for all of the animals to be euthanized but the transition team does not have a legal basis currently to make that decision. We hope that will change later this week as we have established a Friday deadline. 

1 minute ago, johanson said:

What happened to Anita's Animals? Shouldn't we stay on topic? Oh by the way there are many things sold on Amazon that don't come from Amazon. They simply act as an in-between. I just ordered a new Shaw Direct receiver via Amazon from a dealer in Saskatchewan

Now back to Anita's animals. I greatly appreciate the effort made by these volunteers trying to clean things up and get things organized under new management. And I am saddened to see angry posts talking about how bad things are or were. I would like to thank those who are volunteering for their valiant efforts

Edit: I wrote this before the last post suggesting that you come to the Wednesday market.

Thank you for your support. We are just a small team of people doing the very best we can by rolling up our sleeves and doing the dirty work that needs to be done. 

14 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

No I am not going to PM you. I have been there several times recently and since you have all this experience, maybe you can share what experience this "transition " team has. Who will foster the kittens that are only 4 days old? Oh, that's right , you just won't take them.  Who will take a sick animal to a vet if one can't come.   Who is the one designated the boss ? And the dogs  or cats who are not  adoptable??  A blind dog? an animal with 3 legs? an old animal that cannot get around well?  What happens to them? "There will be tough decisions ahead for the existing animals as well as future intake". No kill right???  I was up there recently and there was at least 7 weeks of food. So they are not starving.  Is there going to be 24 hr watch?

Does the transition team own your new shelter?  All you seem to speak to is cleaning up and diseased animals ".Diseases that are rampant there".  Really ? bit of an exaggeration.!!!  You cannot condemn the whole shelter if a few animals get sick. You have secret revenue sources so you are not accountable to anyone. If you plan on being an AC , you will have to account financially.I know she had quit a few pesos I never worked at the shelter but was a close friend of Anita's and adopted a clean, neutered dog who had all the shots.

Your whole approach is offensive.....more an attack on Anita and the condition of the shelter ( which is questionable) Well white knights it is yours now.

I dont believe anyone is attacking Anita. We are dealing with the situation by rolling up our sleeves and doing the hard dirty work. If you've never been to the shelter, especially recently, then I don't believe you are one to criticize. 

4 hours ago, Moon Snake said:

Hello all...

Perhaps you can find the answers in previous posts ..or you can PM jraschko.

7 hours ago, jraschko said:

There are several rumors flying around. If you want to see what we're up to, please visit the Tianguis and the team will do the best to answer your questions. 

Perhaps you could do a better job of informing the community rather than asking people to visit the Tianguis. This is the way rumours are started when there is little or piece meal info sent out. Anita was a part of the community way longer than most of us so when she is no longer in the picture people will want to know what happened. I am sure you can understand that. We have donated to Anita for many years on a monthly basis and found out via a post on one of the local groups that others were taking over. We have also seen a post asking for cleanup help but nothing letting the community know who exactly this transition team is and what happened to Anita, did she retire, sick and so on. What is happening to the property that the shelter is on, what will happen to the cats and dogs? what happened to the long time volunteers? These are legitimate questions especially for people that donate on a regular basis, most would like to know something of the people they are donating to. There are outlets here that could be used for such a purpose, the El Ojo, Chapala. com, insidelakeside.com, the local newspapers since Anita had a big following in that community also.

It is the responsibility of the new people to inform the community not the community coming to the weekly tianguis to find out what is happening. If you do not want rumours running rampant then release a proper informative statement for all to see.  If you are truly taking over the shelter, then dealing with the general public is a huge part of it and calling people armchair critics is not going to help your efforts. I am sorry but until we find out exactly what is going to happen to the remaining animals at the shelter and who exactly the new people are, we will hold off donating for now.

Thank you

Well said purpleflower. I supported Anita but I never go to the tianguis so I guess I'll never know.

Archived