Chapala.com Webboard

Help with a friends dog

I would like some advice. I'm fairly new here and also not a dog owner. Here is the problem:

My husband's caregiver, a wonderful young woman, who lives here in Ajijic with her husband and 3 little boys, has a dog that she cannot control. Admitted, they have not trained it. But I am worried  not only for my friend, but for the dog itself. It is a 2 year old, unneutered medium (or large? not good at classifying)  dog. It is so used to running in the street, chases mopeds and horses and when locked inside breaks through screen doors and windows (perhaps even glass?). She cannot walk or ride her moped here, she has to take their car up to the carretera and then to here so he doesn't chase the car. Again, I know it is their responsibility, but they aren't taking it. I'm really concerned for her, because she is working 6 hours a day, taking care of her boys. Her husband works long hours. They really don't know what to do.

So- I have offered to pay for the neutering. The only advice I have gotten so far is for them to hire a trainer for 100 pesos an hour. I am paying for round the clock caregivers for my husband, I cannot pay that too and they cannot afford it.

Any suggestions for them? I am going to try to attach a picture, but if it doesn't work, pm me with your email and I'll send it to you.

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_0533.JPG

In Riberas across from TheContainer Restaurant, there is a dog trainer who runs a day school He has a good reputation for training.  He charges 200 Pesos a day and will even pick up the dog.  I do not have his name or phone number but perhaps someone on the board can provide it,

27 minutes ago, sue said:

In Riberas across from TheContainer Restaurant, there is a dog trainer who runs a day school He has a good reputation for training.  He charges 200 Pesos a day and will even pick up the dog.  I do not have his name or phone number but perhaps someone on the board can provide it,

It was stated they cannot pay 100/day, so definitely cannot use this trainer.

They could not pay 100 pesos an hour.. The 200 pesos is a day...The dog needs neutering and training and later exercising, it is a large dog and probably has german shephertd blood so he need training and exercising and be with people and from what you say they are gone all day so that is not going to happen..The neutering will help but without anyone around he will continue chasing whatever.

had a boxer that was full of energy and I trained him by going to classes. Yje dog had an invisible leash  would stop when I stopped do everything I told  him but left alone he turned crazy and jumped off the secong story of our house onto a bush to escape, ate doors, wall paper. destroyed everything in sight, climbed the fence dug under it etc.. We never managed to stop him from escaping.. He would roll rocks down the cliff and jumped to retieve the rocks under water, he would swim and dive for rocks..until one day he swalled a rock and died....

Good luck with your friend´s dog he sounds like he needs to be busy and be with someone and if they both work , have children and not yard to lock up the dog nothing is ging to change.

Couple of thoughts: First Operation Amor is having a free Spay Neuter Clinic at the end of June for low income Mexicans. Neutering will help with the escape desire but isn't the whole answer.

Second, training isn't cheap unfortunately. Plus dropping the dog off at the trainer is no way as effective as going with the dog. Both the owner and dog need to be trainer together. The dog minds the trainer, but what good does that do you at home or out on the street? Does the dog mind you? Maybe, but probably not.

Lastly, bmh is right -  this is not the right dog for this family. He needs more mental and physical exercise than this family seems able to provide.

Archived