Chapala.com Webboard

The Rainy Season Begins

At this point it is looking like the 7th.  Need one more significant rain this week.  Last night was #2.

Our power was off for 13 hours.  Sure glad I got that generator. :D

Moisture is moving in from the E-NE as per usual.

Looking good but don't count those rain chickens yet.

The rain today started between 12:10 and 12:20am so we missed 3 actual days by about 10 minutes. The database on the weather station updates every 10 minutes and I looked this morning and it was in that 10 min period it started, so you're off and running for another season of cool, green and wonderful.

The first rain completely knocked out the power in my part of Riberas all night until 10 a.m. the next day. Last night's rain put the power in brownout mode in my part of Riberas all night last night until 7:30 a.m. It is such a shame that a couple of raindrops completely overwhelms the infrastructure. My electric bills are through the roof. It is very frustrating that none of the exorbitant fees they charge seem to be spent on hiring people with proper skills or emergency repairs. God forbid we get both high winds and rain. I will have to move into a hotel for a week just to get electric to run my laptop so I can earn enough to pay the CFE bills!

We did get a lot of wind again last night.  Power went out for about 15 minutes.

No consolation but it is a lot better than it used to be.  24 hour outages after strong storms were not all that uncommon.  Sometimes we didn't even need a storm, some ancient transformer would just blow up.

The storm started in Riberas at 12:12 a.m. but it didn't start in Joco until 12:38 a.m.

The last three storms have gone east to west along the lake. In each case, when it started in Riberas, I messaged my friend in Rancho Alegre to warn her and it arrived 'bout a half hour later there.

Here in Villa Nova it started somewhere around 11 p.m. and ended around 11:30.  Lots of wind and strong rain.  The power went out here but only for a few minutes at a time, the last two nights.  The strawberry moon in the east last night was absolutely gorgeous.

I moved the SW Riberas in '07 and outages were normal when it rained, when the sun was out etc. and of course being an "all electric" house I didn't even have water to flush with no pressure pump. Each year I'd put a generator on my NOB shopping list and every year it would get bumped off. Finally after a 20 hour outage in '12 I went to Guad and paid a princely sum for a little Honda gen. I used it twice for very short periods before I moved in Sept of '14. If I'd known that was all it took to fix the CFE I'd have bought one year one!

I know it is a cultural thing, but, I also get tired of having to light the pilot light on the water heater every time the wind blows. Three (or maybe 4) days in a row now since the rainy season started. I have a rental house, or would have an on-demand water heater and a built-in generator or a Tesla Home battery and inverter at the very least. 

I have no clue what Mexicans do to chocolate to make it undesirable to me, what they do to ice cream to make it undesirable to me or why they stand in line to buy grilled field corn. This is simply a matter of taste and cultural differences. But surely crappy utilities that fail and need to be rebooted, re-lit and/or fixed every time the wind blows or every time it rains cannot be a cultural thing,.. a patience thing, yes. But, nobody can really be happy with such inefficiency.

Don't get me wrong. I am one of those people who spends his entire life picking things up off the floor. Everything I touch ends up on the floor. Nuts and bolts, ice cream, food, spoons, knives, forks, lids for jars, ice cubes, every thing on the on the planet that I touch ends up on the floor. It is frustrating and I deal with it. But it doesn't mean I want to deal with it!

Couldn't someone invent a pilot light that does blow out every day? Or connect electric wires that hold up in a light rain?

If nothing else than for the poor schmucks like me who spend the other 97% of their lives picking everything up off the floor?

San Miguel's rainy season starts 2 weeks later and anxiously waiting. And we get 1/3 less so it is much needed. Thankfully, we are not as hot and a little less humid from mid April to now. Please send rain. :-)

When I got to Ajijic  in 1997, there were even more outages during the rainy season and at least in my neighborhood we all had generators. One of my neighbors even had a generator that turned on automatically when the power went out. So when I installed a photo-voltaic solar panel system, it included a battery backup system that simply kept the power on at a normal voltage. This option also allowed the solar panels to add power to the system when there is an outage. If you only have solar panels when the power goes out the panels are disconnected

These days there are many fewer outages and I understand solar companies no longer install battery backup systems.

I started a movie then right when the rain started then the power went out a half hour into it, I i kinda figured it was bad planning on my part. I'm used to almost to the point of expecting a power outage. Fortunately the outages last a few hours no longer than 12. Not days on end like before. Im still in the habit of buying very little refrigerated food unlike when I first moved to Mexico I filled the refrigerator to the rim only to find myself losing almost all of it from a three day outage. 

But then take the good with the bad. We have solid Internet. Channels in English. Ability to be in contact with family from all over the world. Telephones in the house So we're not standing in line for the only working pay phone in town. Endless amenities! So much has changed! 

Archived