Chapala.com Webboard

Ransomeware on desktop computer. How to protect?

Twice within a couple of hours my screen freezes with lots of text and headline Everything on your computer has been fully encrypted  I do a hard shutdown and restart and thankfully everything comes back correctly. I am very worried that I will be held up for ransom. What is the best antivirus program to protect from this? Gracias

I have done a great deal of research and there is no way to protect our computer from ransomware, other than the obvious "be careful what you click". If you are able to reboot and get back to normal, it is not true ransomware. One hit is all it takes for all your files to be permanently encrypted and unaccessible by you. At the very least, I would back up your files: documents, photos, bookmarks/favorites, etc.

Then, a System Restore should get the offensive but fake ware off your PC.

Just happened a third time. Took a closer look at the frozen screen and it wants me to go to a "application file named WanaDecryptor@.exe and follow the instructions". Of course I am not doing that. I do have a backup system in place but this is getting a little worrisome.

Someone has hit you with a virus, not ransomware.

There are several good virus checking programs for free (Google and download one)

Personally, I use Linux because it is much harder to infect.

OK, you're not in such bad shape.  Norton is no help, but if you can still get to a web browser, you can lick this in the bud.  Download a program called MalwareBytes here:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Install and run a full system scan.  There's some crap in there, and we hope MalwareBytes will find it.  If/when it detects problems, tell it to fix them.  If it found problems, restart your computer, then either way do the same thing with another program, SuperAntiSpyware here:

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

Again, install and run a full system scan.  Elect to fix problems if it finds any.  Restart your computer.  If that didn't take care of it, you need professional help.  Whatever you do don't follow the instructions that the malware gives you.  

Do NOT run Windoze, problem solved.

If you run either Linux or Apple software this DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Why put yourself at risk???????????????

Windoze isn't the only thing out there, ya know?

The best way to deal with this sort of thing is a GOOD DEFENCE

Routinely back up your whole system: software applications, data, photos, documents, etc. anything that's important on to a  removable back up drive that isn't normally attached to your computer or onto something on the cloud like dropbox or Google drive (but for that much storage you'd likely have to pay for the space) . That way if you do get hit and are held for ransom, you don't care.You restore to your back up. We back everything up weekly, or after we do anything important (like completing our online income tax or editing photos of our Granddaughter's first birthday party). We also store the backup drive somewhere tucked  away from the computers, just in case we are broken into and they steal the computers (we do this NOB too). Our daughter's computer was stolen while she was at college, all of her essays and assignments were on it, but she had a back up and only lost 2 days work (which was more than enough).

We also back up all photos and documents every six months on to a flash drive which we leave at our daughter's. In the event of something like a fire at our house and  both the computer and weekly back up drive are destroyed.

This may seem like a lot of work, but just think of all of your friends who have lost all of those "First Birthday Party" photos because their computer, phone or tables was lost, stolen, died, etc ......  If you don't have enough techie knowledge to do this ask a techie friend (or their grandchild :) ) to show you how, it's not difficult once you know how.

Sem123 - former IT Team Lead at a major utility company (responsible for making sure that the computers systems that ran the systems that kept the lights on ran 24/7).

1 hour ago, WA4KDC said:

Do NOT run Windoze, problem solved. If you run either Linux or Apple software this DOES NOT HAPPEN. Why put yourself at risk??????????????? Windoze isn't the only thing out there, ya know?

Extremely unhelpful response. And sorry... happens much more frequently than it used to.

6 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I have Norton antivirus and when the screen freezes I have no control to use task manager or anything else. The only thing I can do is do a hard shut down and restart.

You are going to be in serious trouble. Do that system restore. Malwarebytes is an excellent "after the fact" program, but right now you want to get rid of whatever has latched on to your system completely.

I would reformat the hard drive and then restore from backup ( as long as you KNOW that your backup is good).   I would also check that your backup media is good on a different machine first.   

As for prevention, I agree that running an OS that is targeted less frequently leads to a safer computing experience.  Windows and Android are the most ubiquitous and therefore the most targeted operating systems in the world.   Clicking on a malicious link, adware, and poorly curated app stores are common delivery sources of malware.   I run MacOS and iOS and have never had a problem in decades of computing.  I run adblockers and never click on an email link that is not obviously good.  I have never installed anti virus software due to my choice of OS.  I update my operating systems regularly.  Your mileage may vary.

Archived