Chapala.com Webboard

Drivers license renewal update?

On one of the (many) threads of DL renewals, someone posted very detailed experience at the one on 8 de Julio in Guadalajara. One can always use a guide, like the one across from the old El Serape restaurant. 

Here were the comments:

We did my husband's CHOFER license renewal in February at Plaza de Torres in Guad. Easy location -- exit Lazaro Cardenas at 8 de Julio (IMSS) exit, stay on lateral thru' the traffic light at the intersection, and immediately  go into underground parking (on right) for Plaza which is located on NW corner of that intersection.

Office is on second floor (stairs only). Guy at far back is first one you have to see, with all documents in hand. He will want   current license, proof of address (plus copies of all originals), INAPAM card (front and back) if you have one for 50% discount on price, may or may not ask for blood type lab report (I took it but he didn't care), and original and copy of ID. For us, that meant   Mexican IFE (voter) card since we're citizens. For non-citizens, either Residence card or passport (or take both to be sure).

If all OK, and IF the payment booth located right there is open,  you can take the slip of paper he gives you and proceed to pay on the spot. If closed, or computer is down (was that day), then you have to take the paper to the Banamex bank -- outside to front of mall, turn left and walk one block and then up to bank. ASK GIRLS INSIDE where they hand out "take-a-number" tickets how you can use the ATM machine to do the payment. (Saves waiting in line). In our case she did it for us! Cost without discount 558 pesos ---  so 279 with.

Once paid, go back upstairs in Plaza,  get a copy of the bank receipt (place right there) ,get documents from the man at back and take to the front area (security guard there). He will tell you when to step into turn, and you will be taken in for fingerprints, info, photo etc.   License will be spit out of machine promptly and security guy will hand it to you. Easy-peasy.

51 minutes ago, tomgates said:

On one of the (many) threads of DL renewals, someone posted very detailed experience at the one on 8 de Julio in Guadalajara. One can always use a guide, like the one across from the old El Serape restaurant. 

Yes, I have gone through the threads and was just looking for a confirmation on the June 7th? mobile being in Chapala.

We used Luzma Grande as a guide to get our original licenses (auto and motorcycle) and plan to use her for our renewals.  She said the renewal is quick and if you're a senior, you go to the head of the line.  Should take 15 to 30 minutes.

Based on the notice above, your documents were to be delivered to the Secretary General's office on June 1 and 2 between the hours of 9:00-2:30. You would then have received a "ficha" (your assigned number, for order).

Also, in the bold print in the red box to the right it says that a test on driving knowledge and a practical driving test will be given. It says take a vehicle that corresponds to the type of license you're applying for and it says June 3 for that. So who knows for sure how / when they're administering the written and driving tests. The way I read this notice, they were doing this on June 3. Did anyone see the cones back on Horsey Blvd. by the DIF office in La Floresta? That's where they've done it on past occasions, but it was on the day they actually gave out the licenses at the Auditorio.

However, I'd say if you didn't deliver your docs on June 1-2 and get a ficha, you might be out of luck this time. ¿Quién sabe?

I was told a couple of weeks ago by the young lady sitting in front of the secretary general office at city hall. To take all my paperwork, copies and original and my receipt of payment for the license, and come back Wednesday to the secretary general office. So today I want to Chapala to the office were you paid for your auto plates every year. Their i  paid for my drivers license renewal and they gave me my receipt. I decided to go to City Hall just to check on things. There she was checking people's paperwork and given then numbers. When she checked my paperwork, she told me on Wednesday go to Christine Park and not the Auditorium for my license. Being I live in Ajijic I will check out the Auditorium first and if there is no action there I will continue on to Christine Park.

Archived