Chapala.com Webboard

This should definitely help Mexican tourism and economy

U.S. Is Now Asking Foreign Visitors for Their Social Media Accounts

June 2, 2017

The Trump administration has quietly introduced another clampdown on foreign visitors.

The updated form explicitly says: "Please provide your unique user name for any websites or applications you have used to create or share content (photos, videos, status updates, etc.) as part of a public profile within the last five years." Although providing social media handles is voluntary, as the form's confidentiality statement explains, "failure to  provide this information may delay or prevent the processing of an individual visa application."

That is to apply for a visa..for the people who live in country who have to have visas and Mexico is one of them...they turn down people for visas all over the place anyways...nothing new except for  checking out  social media now... soon their checking out people for visas with take so much time that people who have the money to go there will go somewhere else..

It is not a question of minding or not minding.. if you have to have a visa to transit through there  then you have to give that information.. I rather pay more money to fly Mexico Paris whithout going via the States but it is getting more and more difficult to get direct non-stop  flights ..

I'm almost tempted to make a trip NOB just to see if I can get someone to look at my smart phone.  I've had it 3+ years and I've called 2 numbers, my house to see if it worked and my mail service occassionally to see if I have mail.

I don't text, don't surf the internet, use it for email or do "social media".  I do keep a private server in the bathroom, but that's another story.

They would probably lock me up because they would think I'm hiding something

sm1mex I always leave from Mexico City.. GDL is not good to go to Europe without going through the States so I never leave from GDL.. I usually go to Mexico by bus and spend a day or 2 on the way in and on the way back..

So far it does not affect the US.. yet.. only people who need visa so not Europeans either...  I can see the government checking all social media in all the languages spoken in the countries who have to get visas.. god luck on that. They do not have enough Arabic speakers as it is and it is going to get funny when they have to start reading all the African languages and dialects  or al the languages spoken in Asia and wherever.. They should just close the borders to everyone that way no undesirable would enter... Pretty funny idea..Let´s build that wall  and close all entries... Next they can go to all citizens who are not blond and blue eyed...

By the way 2 weeks ago a US University invited a top weaver to the US for 3 days to give a demonstration of her art. The woman is a friend of mine and she was in Chile showing her art and had just gotten back from Spain but she did not have a visa so I had the University send her an invitation for those 3 days. Upon her return from Chile she flew from Chiapas t Mexico for the 2 day interview, finger prints etc..i on the second day her visa was denied.. no explanation just try another time..  They apparently turned down everyone that day ..no reasons given as they do not have to give reasons.... The US are capricious as hell  and walk all over people who are not from there and then wonder why other countries are making fun of them,,, 

This woman is in her 60´s, at the top of her carreer, had the money to go, was invited by a university for 3 days, did not have relative there , had never been to the US and frankly I cannot imagine why she was turned down as she had come back from a bunch of countries where she culd have stayed if getting out was her goal..

No, a U.S. citizen will not be affected but foreigners that want to come to the U.S. and spend their money to vacation and help the economy may choose a different country to visit who does not require the visitor to reveal their personal unique user name and information and passwords to their media accounts for a visa.

User names and passwords are private information for the individual person but when you have to give it to Uncle, it is no longer your private information.  Life is choices.  If a person doesn't mind giving their personal information for a visa, then they can do it to get into the U.S. or they cannot do it and get a visa to another country to visit.  Simple as that.

We'd like to go to Spain via Mexico City and not have to deal with the TSA but last time I checked it was a great deal less convenient and more costly to do so.  This really surprised me, I figured we'd have decent connections and deals to Spain from Mexico.

BTW, you all might want to wait and see if this actually happens before having a melt down about it.  A lot of crap gets proposed by governments that never happens.  Unfortunately, too much does. :)

what difference does it make?? its not for US citizens. melt down for what? vetting is good. if anything, its another excuse to hire more people & call it job creation. btw, a civil lib org in australia told a certain group of people to "delete violent images on their cellphones"- read this tonight. MC why dont you take a direct flight to the US. no connecting. stay 2 days & rest & go directly to spain.

Mexico Madrid is cheaper than MeXico Paris and there are direct flights from Mexico City.  This is how I am going this year to Paris.. I ll spend a little time in Spain and there are very cheap flight Paris Madrid  so that will be my stop over rather than Houston or Dallas or another point in the US.. 

All y'all liberals here don't need to worry since it will only apply to Visa applicants and none of you need Visas to get into the USA.. Plus, it's not like the FEMA Camps Hillary had set up for NRA members are now going to be used by Trump to house gray snowflakes who re-post someone else's dementia to their own Facebook page.

Dementia is a pretty good description of all this "chicken little" nonsense these days.

Personally, I just want it to start raining! :)

Thanks BMH, we'll check it out again prior to going next year.  What airline will you be using and what do you anticipate the ticket cost will be?

there were tickets for 573 dollats  a week ago, now I am looking at Iberia at 873 dollars to Madrid.Two weeks ago they had flights Paris Madrid for 30 Euros... but I have to look carefully as I want a direct non stop flight to go back because of what I am bringing back, I do not want to be charged 100 euros for each extra suitcase for each leg of the trip which is what happens now when there is a change of plane.. I got hit last time because the AirFrance flight  came back AF to Amsterdam and KLM Amsterdam Mexico and everything got screwed up, they still owe me 450 dollars from that flight..

When I am ready to buy I check the internet and buy whichever airline suits  me better..sometimes Iberia, sometimes AeroMexico and anything in between...I am not picky about the airlines, they all make you feel like you were a sardine Some have seast that are better for a price so I sometimes upgrade..

3 hours ago, Aquaponicsman said:

Plus, it's not like the FEMA Camps Hillary had set up for NRA members are now going to be used by Trump to house gray snowflakes who re-post someone else's dementia to their own Facebook page.

What??  I heard that it was Obama who was building death camps for patriots in tunnels under 4 closed walmarts in TX.  Hmmm, which story is it??  Just curious.

Regarding social media use.  I don't use my actual legal name on social media only a nickname which friends will recognize.  Never post your real birthday anywhere even when asked to.  Better to lie about that.  Birthdays are often used to ID people on other sites, don't give yours out.  I don't know if anyone knows if things you post to "friends" only can be found in a search.  By regular people, no, but it's possible that law enforcement and/or hackers can get to that stuff.  Better not to post highly personal things online anyway, certainly not with your real name!

My concern about crossing the border is that I have a hip replacement and would certainly trigger the metal detector.  I do have a letter from my surgeon, but the operation was done in MX.  There is a lot of animosity if not downright hatred of MX coming from the USA.  I don't have an address in the USA and am permanente here.  If they ask me why I was in MX and I say I live here, plus triggering the metal detector they might view that as suspicious.  I've heard bad things about US border guards and I would not want to expose myself to any trouble from them.  So i'll be happy just to travel around beautiful Mexico.

Foreign tourism is already 10% down in the USA since the new administration took over.

Off topic a bit but a NICE story about flying for a change.  We planned a two week trip, fly, DFW to Cancun, spend the night and then leave the next day to drive the two weeks circling through the Yucatán visiting Myan ruin sites.

The plane was late and they had to change crews.  Our new crew was very happy (hour maybe)?  We were in first class and was having a great time with the crew.  We told them that all we wanted to do was get a bottle of wine, sip it in our hotel room and leave for Tulum the next day.

When we got to Cancun the flight attendant handed us a bag and said she hoped we had a nice evening and trip.  It was a bottle of wine!  She became my instant new BFF.  The trip was perfect, something we will never forget.  Phil kept a journal and sketched many of the ruin sites we saw.

BTW Akumal is a small coastal town south of Playa del Carmen and a great place to stay. Not crowded and vey laid back.  Spent several nights there.  Merida was also interesting but would not care to return there.

Archived