Chapala.com Webboard

Ground beef source

gringal

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh, I distinctly remember going to a Costco in Guadalajara but if it's closed then, yeah, Tony's would be my choice. PV is a bit lejos for ground beef.

There are two CostCos in Guadalajara that I know of, pappy, but it's a harrowing drive for some people, and not worth it for one or two items. If Cynthia comes back and restarts her delivery business, she will be busy indeed.

Meantime, I buy mine at Soriana: always a better price, and I actually prefer to buy their "mixed" package: 1/2 ground round, 1/2 ground pork. Walmart "generally" marks the percentages on their packages; Soriana sometimes, and I never believe what type of meat is on the label. I don't find any difference in flavour except when I ask perhaps Tony to grind some particular kind of meat.

We always preferred Soriana Comercial ground beef; 80/20 on the label, but sometimes you have to ask for it & they will prepare it while you shop for other items.  It was always tasty.

44 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

We always preferred Soriana Comercial ground beef; 80/20 on the label, but sometimes you have to ask for it & they will prepare it while you shop for other items.  It was always tasty.

And it is on sale on Wednesday's for I think $59p a kilo.

Walmart have, in the frozen meat section, ground beef that is organic, from grass fed cattle and hecho en Mexico. It costs a little more, but the flavor and freedom from additives make it worthwhile for me. But then, not a lot of red meat eater...

On 6/3/2017 at 4:01 PM, ned small said:

Any butcher here and any lean cut with 20% suet added. The flavour comes from the suet and whatever you add to cook it. The grinding tenderises the meat so you don't need to pay more by specifying sirloin.

Never heard of that. Researched it online, cannot find references to it being a practice anywhere.

Perhaps you just don't know that hard dense beef fat is called suet which is also used to feed birds in winter in Canada permeated with seeds. Here I merely point at it and say grasa por favor and mas grasa until they have put enough in the grinder with the carne de res and ground together at least twice. Generally you still need to further mix by hand in your kitchen.

Pretty sure we all know what suet is. My point is that I have never heard it referred to as "adding suet" when they are grinding percentages. So I looked it up everywhere I could and, by golly, neither do butchers or the meat packing industry.

45 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Pretty sure we all know what suet is. My point is that I have never heard it referred to as "adding suet" when they are grinding percentages. So I looked it up everywhere I could and, by golly, neither do butchers or the meat packing industry.

But by golly the butchers here do, just by pointing at it and I get to enjoy the results,by golly. In addition,it pays to use the right question on google. I did but can't remember what it was now, but among the many hits I got ,this kind of explains the use of suet quite well I thought [Fine cooking. Suet Secrets by Brian Geiger].

Seriously? Gosh, like I said, I'm pretty sure we all know what suet is. And you are currently the only person, probably in the known and unknown universes, who asks for it that way. So have fun, continue to push boundaries, and leave me out of it. (BTW, people in the know actually refer to it as BEEF FAT.) I won't even ask what the Spanish is for the word, because you will just go and use Google and pretend you knew all along.

By golly-gosh, Google got it:

Definitions of sebo

noun

Grasa sólida que se extrae de ciertos animales herbívoros, especialmente los de ganado ovino y vacuno.

el sebo se emplea, entre otras cosas, para fabricar jabones; las velas de sebo, que tenían un olor bastante desagradable, se empezaron a emplear en la Edad Media .

Grasa que segregan unas glándulas que tienen las personas y algunos animales en la piel y que sirve para lubricarla, protegerla y mantenerla blanda.

el sebo es más abundante en las zonas donde crece el pelo; el acné es consecuencia de los cambios hormonales que estimulan la producción de sebo .

Grasa que forma la gordura de una persona o un animal.

una papada de sebo; este hombre no tiene apenas músculo, es todo sebo; los muy crueles le llamaban “bola de sebo” .

20 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Here's one you don't know: beef tallow was what McDonald's used for years to give their skinny fries that certain taste. Holy cow!

Tallow is rendered suet  and I know very well that McDonald's had been using it as i dealt with George Cohon and other personnel at McD's in the 70's and that's why I was hired by my friend in Edmonton to help look after the A&W account in the early 80's. Is there any other information that I can help you with that doesn't require me to use google which I didn't do here? as to my use of google for suet use, after you said you googled and couldn't find anything, I was merely helping you find the right question so that you wouldn't have the same problem again.

Nothing like personal experience and just so you know almost every food joint, from small to fancy,  used beef tallow and eventually switched when all the powers that be told us that it was a no no. A little known fact even if you didn't ask, rendered goose or duck fat is healthier than any other animal fat for cooking. Use it for Yorkshire pudding instead of beef drippings for example. The added bonus to this is that you can rotisserie BBQ your prime rib roast instead of doing it in the oven.

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

By golly-gosh, Google got it:

Definitions of sebo

noun

Grasa sólida que se extrae de ciertos animales herbívoros, especialmente los de ganado ovino y vacuno.

el sebo se emplea, entre otras cosas, para fabricar jabones; las velas de sebo, que tenían un olor bastante desagradable, se empezaron a emplear en la Edad Media .

Grasa que segregan unas glándulas que tienen las personas y algunos animales en la piel y que sirve para lubricarla, protegerla y mantenerla blanda.

el sebo es más abundante en las zonas donde crece el pelo; el acné es consecuencia de los cambios hormonales que estimulan la producción de sebo .

Grasa que forma la gordura de una persona o un animal.

una papada de sebo; este hombre no tiene apenas músculo, es todo sebo; los muy crueles le llamaban “bola de sebo” .

The second part of this is unrelated as in part it refers to what you get when you squeeze a zit on your skin and I think sebo is the result of rendering which is tallow.Sebo must be the root of that nasty  seborrheic dermatitis. as well. Grasa is generic for fat and I point at the suet at the butchers and ask for that and that works every time. Pointing works most of the time for almost anything along with saying por favor and if you know a general word helps further.

7 hours ago, ned small said:

Tallow is rendered suet  and I know very well that McDonald's had been using it as i dealt with George Cohon and other personnel at McD's in the 70's and that's why I was hired by my friend in Edmonton to help look after the A&W account in the early 80's. Is there any other information that I can help you with that doesn't require me to use google which I didn't do here? as to my use of google for suet use, after you said you googled and couldn't find anything, I was merely helping you find the right question so that you wouldn't have the same problem again. Horsehockey.

Nothing like personal experience and just so you know almost every food joint, from small to fancy,  used beef tallow and eventually switched when all the powers that be told us that it was a no no. A little known fact even if you didn't ask, rendered goose or duck fat is healthier than any other animal fat for cooking. Use it for Yorkshire pudding instead of beef drippings for example. The added bonus to this is that you can rotisserie BBQ your prime rib roast instead of doing it in the oven.

This post edited by moderator in response to complaint and, no, not from Ned either.

Unnecessary snarky.

Archived