Chapala.com Webboard

A very good reason to be happy we live here

How about this solution.  Keep Medicare B, sign up for Seguro popular for stabilizing in an emergency (and hope TRs and PRs will continue to be allowed), add medivac, pay out of pocket for routine visits and testing?  Worst case would be something like a heart attack with need for some sort of surgery, and medivac dropping one off at some ER in the states.  I'm groping here---solutions?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a healthy rainy day fund for the cost of a hotel room and cabs or a rental car plus meals while you wait for surgery/recuperate from surgery.

Well, medical error here by a "cardiologist" that some here swear by darn near killed my wife so I don't pay a lot of attention to blanket indictments like the above.  As for medivac, after reviewing both our medical histories we concluded that almost all required immediate care and remedy.  With one exception we would not have survived the trip back to the U.S.

From the first incident which resulted from said cardiologist not knowing the basics about the known dangerous side effects of common prescription medications used for heart patients, we also learned to become totally knowledgeable about all our medications and to not take any medications without first thoroughly researching their correct uses and side effects.

I'm not surprised the doctors and hospitals on the east coast are killing people.  When we compare the care we got there with the care we get in the DFW area the difference is night and day.

4 minutes ago, AllenHoffman said:

Any one have tried  Boomers in Paradise Insurance?

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I would also like to know why I can't find a list of their recommended Doctors and/or Hospitals or the cost of premiums for catastrophic insurance on their website. Do I have to JOIN the website to find out this info? Sixty bucks seems a little steep for just information and is not user friendly.

7 hours ago, idocdan said:

How about this solution.  Keep Medicare B, sign up for Seguro popular for stabilizing in an emergency (and hope TRs and PRs will continue to be allowed), add medivac, pay out of pocket for routine visits and testing?  Worst case would be something like a heart attack with need for some sort of surgery, and medivac dropping one off at some ER in the states.  I'm groping here---solutions?

I *think* that this idea is used by more than a few, but..... one size does not fit all! Many add a Mexican Medical Policy to boot. Only you can determine IF you have a place for a medivac plane to take you (can't plop down in an emergency room just anywhere), AND consider how you and your spouse can 'survive' for possibly months NOB while you are getting 'well enough' to return to your home in Mexico.

For me, retaining Part B of Medicare would just be 'insurance' that IF for whatever reason I felt I could NOT (or chose not to) remain living in Mexico full time. I have a good number of friends who said that they would "die in Mexico" they liked it so much (and I believed them!), who in fact went back NOB after some number of years... mostly due to medical reasons. They aren't coming back SOB.

Archived