Chapala.com Webboard

Lake Chapala Gains Status as Sport Fishing Venue

On 6/5/2017 at 9:43 PM, MEXLC said:

You might be able to catch it, but I wouldn't dare eat what might be caught in this lake!

Where I come from Bass are considered trash fish.

• Sad 2

Luis is the guy in the photo on the right in the red boat. He is a fishing guide and he owns the pet store on Zargoza in Chapala. You can get in touch with him there.
A friend of mine has caught a ten pound and an eleven pound three ounce bass in Lake Chapala. The largest one that I have caught was six pounds.
Someone that has not caught a big bass before may be jealous and denigrate this great sport fish.
Ajijic Fishing Club Facebook page and website.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/392046431544108
https://drhook50hp.wixsite.com/ajijicfishingclub

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The shore pueblos around Lake Chapala (particularly the North shore) are MUCH safer than many of the major US cities run by you know who (do not want to get in trouble here with you know who). I live in lower San Antonio, a historic fishing village and have a fisherman as a neighbor, who I see regularly with his catches of the same size and kind of fish in the photos posted here. There has been some discussion on this board regarding the pollution of the lake and advisability of consuming these fish. I am a fish lover who regularly patronizes local restaurants that I am sure serves some of this and so far so good!!! Come on down!!!      

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 2:26 PM, AndyPanda said:

You are just looking for Bad Mouthing, aren't you? Where exactly are you from that the rest of the fish ranks so high that bass is considered trash?

Any trout species or Kokanee and graying are much better fish-appearance wise and taste. I used to work for the Fish & Wildlife. We considered Bass more like suckers or squawfish.  We caught thousands of fish with gill nets in fresh water and we could not give bass away except for fertilizer.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Any trout species or Kokanee and graying are much better fish-appearacnce wise and taste. I used to work for the Fish & Wildlife. We considered Bass more like suckers or squawfish.  We caught thousands of fish with gill nets in fresh water and we could not give bass away except for fetilizer.

You sure didn't work for the department of swamps and bushes in Ontario or any of the eastern provinces spouting BS like that. Another one of yer border promos oh king of negativity about things you know zilch about-SNORK!

pedro ketesz

On 6/5/2017 at 9:43 PM, MEXLC said:

You might be able to catch it, but I wouldn't dare eat what might be caught in this lake!

Please don't eat any of these wonderful sport fish. They are worth tens of thousands in bass fishing tourism. Several international tournaments have been held and more are planned. These bass will be a huge boon to the local economy.  Pro Bass tournaments never allow for killing or eating the fish. they even require the fish be alive for the weigh in ,so the boats have special live wells. The Florida Black Bass that have been stocked will eventually reach weights of 12-14 lbs.

p

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geeser said:

Please don't eat any of these wonderful sport fish. They are worth tens of thousands in bass fishing tourism. Several international tournaments have been held and more are planned. These bass will be a huge boon to the local economy.  Pro Bass tournaments never allow for killing or eating the fish. they even require the fish be alive for the weigh in ,so the boats have special live wells. The Florida Black Bass that have been stocked will eventually reach weights of 12-14 lbs.

p

As a sports fisherman and conservationist,I  practice catch and release and if I do get out on the lake,I will only keep one large mouth bass for the table. The one I kept and shared with the boys at Agua Milpa had gill damage and wouldn't have survived. It was very tasty and as you can imagine a very expensive fish. They are very similar to walleye in taste and texture. They weren't just planted here for tournaments but for every angler to enjoy including Mexicans here. The term "black bass" covers more than one species. No others than LMB are available here.

pedro kertesz

All I've ever read was that the gov stocked Lake Chapala with is Tilapia; having recently done so after fishermen complained that the fishing was depleted. I think the gov is missing out on a huge tourist opportunity by not stocking more Bass as they would draw tournaments and tourist dollars. I know that fishermen have spoken at local Rotaries in support of Bass and tournaments and likewise offered to help organize the tourism services.

26 minutes ago, HarryB said:

All I've ever read was that the gov stocked Lake Chapala with is Tilapia; having recently done so after fishermen complained that the fishing was depleted. I think the gov is missing out on a huge tourist opportunity by not stocking more Bass as they would draw tournaments and tourist dollars. I know that fishermen have spoken at local Rotaries in support of Bass and tournaments and likewise offered to help organize the tourism services.

The bass stocking is a success and so are the operation of tournaments. You clearly know nothing about the Lake Chapala fishery as a whole or even re: Tilapia or LMB.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 1:08 PM, happyjillin said:

You sure didn't work for the department of swamps and bushes in Ontario or any of the eastern provinces spouting BS like that. Another one of yer border promos oh king of negativity about things you know zilch about-SNORK!

pedro ketesz

I never said I worked for F & W in the east. I've caught tens of thousands (literally by rod and reel and gill net)of fish in hundreds of lakes. Many more than you I'm sure. You really aren't factual. I don't like eating fish myself-I caught them for others or for research. 

Usually any bass fish taste muddy- In comparison to fish from clean, clear lakes. Kokanee are a prize fish-you probably don't even know what they are. Or what graying and rainbow trout are ? Salmonid fish from the more northern parts of North America, Russia & Japan are generally considered to much better eating. Large mouth bass are generaly considered as poor tasting.

Some people want to catch a fish that fights more to stay alive like bass other people catch for flavor. For flavour, by people who have a choice, Bass are considered poor in comparison to Salmonids. Graying are consided by many as the best eating fish in the world. 

10 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Wild fish don't taste muddy. This impression non-experts have that they they get a muddy flavor from eating off the bottom is completely misplaced. And bass don't really do that anyway... they generally eat other fish.

Wild fish may tast muddy depending on the quality of the water they come from and from what they eat. Bass are opportunistic feeders and will feed on just about anything that swims in front of them making them easier to catch than Salmonids.

5 hours ago, cedros said:

Wild fish may tast muddy depending on the quality of the water they come from and from what they eat. Bass are opportunistic feeders and will feed on just about anything that swims in front of them making them easier to catch than Salmonids.

Wild fish don't taste muddy. This impression non-experts have that they they get a muddy flavor from eating off the bottom is completely misplaced. And bass don't really do that anyway... they generally eat other fish.