Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Lake Chapala Gains Status as Sport Fishing Venue


Recommended Posts

 

They show a picture of showing a couple of Largemouth Bass, claiming they caught one 2.75 Kilos (about 6 lbs)

I'm just not buying into this. The lake has been over-fished so much that no fish get big enough to breed, let alone get to 2.75 kilos.

What's the deal? Am I just misinformed on the over-fishing?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is true according to a bass enthusiast buddy of mine.  Not surprising since bass like their lakes relatively warm and shallow and they aren't too picky about water quality.

Has anyone been able to access the GDL Reporter web site lately?  Not working since last Friday here.  Did they change the site address again?  Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Years ago the lake held large quantities of charales, catfish, perch, carp, and whitefish.  Tilapia was introduced at about the same time water levels began to drop and the tilapia ate everything else.  Now we have bass added and you can probably say goodbye to the tilapia and any small remaining populations of native fish. Not that I'm saying it is all a bad thing just that it will change because bass are voracious eaters and they will also eat small turtles and baby ducks and other birds.  Fun to catch though and could be good for the economy.  Alan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Sir, I  have just had my questions answered concerning water quality in the "gringo paradise" of Chapala. The crooks just keep peddeling 200kUSD

houses on what is a just a sewer in disquise. What a sick sick joke. But then is there ANY clean water in Mexico? Please advise. Meanwhile Chapala is off my list.

Enjoy life in sewer Gringos!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, greengrosser said:

Yes Sir, I  have just had my questions answered concerning water quality in the "gringo paradise" of Chapala. The crooks just keep peddeling 200kUSD

houses on what is a just a sewer in disquise. What a sick sick joke. But then is there ANY clean water in Mexico? Please advise. Meanwhile Chapala is off my list.

Enjoy life in sewer Gringos!

We hid  the actual scientific studies on Lake Chapala that show otherwise in order to keep this place to ourselves which has been proven to be cleaner than a lot of beaches on the California coast. By the way since this is a thread on fishing there are some rivers in Mexico that harbour Golden Trout which cannot tolerate even the mildest pollution. This lake has a commercial fishery for carp,talapia,catfish,whitefish,charales and recently introduced largemouth bass,that's how bad it is. I have also seen people swimming in it and turning fluorescent green.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2017 at 2:50 PM, barrbower said:

Years ago the lake held large quantities of charales, catfish, perch, carp, and whitefish.  Tilapia was introduced at about the same time water levels began to drop and the tilapia ate everything else.  Now we have bass added and you can probably say goodbye to the tilapia and any small remaining populations of native fish. Not that I'm saying it is all a bad thing just that it will change because bass are voracious eaters and they will also eat small turtles and baby ducks and other birds.  Fun to catch though and could be good for the economy.  Alan

I waited a day to calm down. You can buy all those fish you mention including tilapia caught fresh every day at the fish mongers upstairs in the Chapala Mercado. Agua Milpa has commercial fishing for tilapia which grow up to about 2+ pounds there and a sport fishery for largemouth bass so they obviously get along. Although the bass is called largemouth it's mouth is generally not anatomically large enough to munch on turtles,baby ducks and, i'll throw in eggs too just for fun, along with other birds.If it does happen it's an anomaly and belongs in the Guiness Book of Records  and would have to be a very large bass in the 10 pound+ range. I would take those youtube videos you've been watching with a bit of scepticism. Tilapia has become the commercial fish of choice here because of their rapid growth. They are farmed in pens off Mezcala Island as well as on land too.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2017 at 7:16 PM, Aquaponicsman said:
 

They show a picture of showing a couple of Largemouth Bass, claiming they caught one 2.75 Kilos (about 6 lbs)

I'm just not buying into this. The lake has been over-fished so much that no fish get big enough to breed, let alone get to 2.75 kilos.

What's the deal? Am I just misinformed on the over-fishing?

Yes you're misinformed. These largemouth were stocked a few years ago in the lake and as in other lakes in Mexico they come from Florida stock that grows fast and comes from warm water. This is from a group of pics from another local board taken some time ago and looks like the weeds west of the Chapala pier. Now obviously there is enough to have a tournament. There have also been some huge carp taken from the lake like this one on the Ajijic pier.

chapala largemouth.jpg

chapala carp.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My name is ned and I am somewhat computer technically impaired so that's an impossibility. There were lots of pics taken at the bass event some by the Guadalajara Reporter in their article and many photos of very large carp over the years. You can see a group of the bass pics on another local board  and that is where I saw them. You are a member of it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ned small said:

found an even better pic as proof.

chapala bass 2.jpg

Well, if this is photoshopped it is one heckuva job.  Notice the fish shadows are perfect, there's even a shadow under the foot of the guy on the left side where it hangs over the bulk head.

Nice boat too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

Hello, I am from Oklahoma, and i am getting older and am looking for a great place to retire.  I love my bass fishing here in oklahoma and texas.  I am trying to find a place that i can continue to bass fish.  It appears that this lake has a healthy population.  What i am wondering is how safe is it?  You hear all the horror stories from mexico, and i am just wondering if this lake and the cities around it are safe.  Thank you all for your time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, joe74701 said:

Hello, I am from Oklahoma, and i am getting older and am looking for a great place to retire.  I love my bass fishing here in oklahoma and texas.  I am trying to find a place that i can continue to bass fish.  It appears that this lake has a healthy population.  What i am wondering is how safe is it?  You hear all the horror stories from mexico, and i am just wondering if this lake and the cities around it are safe.  Thank you all for your time.

Safe to one person is not always the same to another. A LOT depends on your Common Sense. Lots of new people coming to Mexico don't have any.

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lake has become so good for largemouth bass that international tournaments have been held here twice. Most of the bass in Mexico were from a fast growing Florida LMB.

pedro kertesz

51 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Safe to one person is not always the same to another. A LOT depends on your Common Sense. Lots of new people coming to Mexico don't have any.

And you of course are the poster boy for common sense.-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...