Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon Alexa

Does anyone have problems in Mexico with an Amazon Alexa? The Echo does not ship to Mexico, which may be why it will not play Spotify Premium music and for a while could not find my Kindle books to read them. Then suddenly it could find the Kindle books, but with Spotify it says, "Playing the Nutcracker from Spotify," but no music comes. ??

Thanks.. 

I would get on the Amazon site, go to the Alexa page and see if your question has already been asked and if not ask exactly what you posted here. I have had some really good results that way.

Good luck.

Hahaha, have you tried asking Alexa?

I recently installed two Echo Dots, brought in by third party from the U.S.... and was very impressed at how easy they are to set up and how well they work. There are all kinds of little "skills" that you can assign to your Dots (bartender, sleep sounds, stock market, jokes, games, banking, home device control), including massive amounts of music choices. Spotify requires that it be accessed via VPN outside the U.S. (and the other few countries where it is available), but don't let that stop you from finding other sources. The speakers are also very good, as is the microphone sensitivity ("Alexa, what's the weather tomorrow?"), and from what I read, the actual Echo (the tall one) is an even more substantial speaker.

5 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

from what I read, the actual Echo (the tall one) is an even more substantial speaker.

We have both and the standard Echo definitely has a better speaker. We got an auxiliary speaker for the Dot and it really helps, you can get very good ones at reasonable prices.

I bought the echo tap. It's okay. I go through phases. It does so much and you need to be particular in how you phrase the question.

Had it shipped to an Arizona address I use for all US shipping. A friend mailed it down. Heavy taxes at my door. I'm sure it lit up aduanas "we got a winner" screen! It's attached to the delivery Arizona address. It plays pandora and such just as it would NOB. If I ask the weather or traffic it gives me Arizona.

The tap also has a new feature where you can wake it up with saying "Alexa" like the Echo. Or screaming ALEXA!!! When it's playing music. "ALEXA!! I LIKE THIS SONG!! THUMBS UP!!"

However. It drains the battery. At least from my experience. 

I have an Echo Dot for sale, still in the box and never opened. I bought two and really only need one. I really like it, lots of fun to play with. It works on it's own but I have it hooked up to a little Bose speaker.

$1,000 pesos.

766 4558

2 hours ago, catbird said:

I have an Echo Dot for sale, still in the box and never opened. I bought two and really only need one. I really like it, lots of fun to play with. It works on it's own but I have it hooked up to a little Bose speaker. $1,000 pesos. 766 4558

I'd be interested if it is Echo Dot Generation 2. The voice recognition was greatly improved.

I brought my ECHO and ECHO DOTS from the U.S.  Work well as long as there is a "good" internet connection. 

I use them in my office here in Lakeside and that is where the internet connection is most unstable vs. my apt. in GDL. 

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm gonna get me one of these!

:D

Before you order one, check out the Dot for $50 and consider a separate speaker and save money and get better sound as many reviews note.

Then..... check out the new product which is releasing near the end of this month the Echo Show. Spendy but you can save $100 if you buy two at once. Give one to family or friends and connect with video and voice and the best of Alexa. Is that not cool? I want one but will wait for a sale.  If anyone gets one please post a review.

The Alexsa apps are not available outside the US, without some crazy head-standing techinques, and it also refuses to use any address that is not a US zip code. I know now, because I bought the one advertised above and have been messing with it. Just like almost any other device, it is "protected" with licensing rights, although it is beyond me why Amazon cares what weather I need.

SO... if you want local weather, you cannot set the thing for Ajijic/Chapala. However, you can say "Alexsa, what is the weather for Chapala tomorrow?" and it will tell you.

In order to get things like Spotify, you would need a VPN service that makes it look like your device is in the US. I will get a chance to test that before long.

Changing your US address on your Amazon account? Like I said I had one shipped to a us address and shipped here. I have no trouble with pandora or weather in the states. 

If you changed the zip would it think it was NOB or is it already locked in to Mexico? Just curious. And how would you add a VPN? I'm fiddling with my new modem from Telmex trying to add a vpn. No luck.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:47 PM, ComputerGuy said:

The Alexsa apps are not available outside the US, without some crazy head-standing techinques, and it also refuses to use any address that is not a US zip code. I know now, because I bought the one advertised above and have been messing with it. Just like almost any other device, it is "protected" with licensing rights, although it is beyond me why Amazon cares what weather I need.

SO... if you want local weather, you cannot set the thing for Ajijic/Chapala. However, you can say "Alexsa, what is the weather for Chapala tomorrow?" and it will tell you.

In order to get things like Spotify, you would need a VPN service that makes it look like your device is in the US. I will get a chance to test that before long.

I'm using mine in my office and I get CHAPALA weather and am using my Spotify etc all without any extra techy things.  Downloaded the ALEXA app to my web browser and to my iPhone. It's working just fine. 

Then you would have signed up while in the US or while using a special VPN service during installation of the app. Since I don't have an iPhone, I cannot speak to that device, but I am not just guessing about the app not being installable outside the U.S. This can be confirmed by visiting the Alexa website. You cannot set up Alexa with an out-of-country zipcode. I have tried getting the Android app using both TunnelBear and ExpressVPN. While my IP address shows up as being in the U.S., neither of these tools fooled Amazon.com. As I mentioned, you can get weather for probably anywhere by specifying the name of the town or city during your ask, but when you have a default zipcode set, you merely ask for the weather, no names required. My device defaults to Seattle.

i have seen websites with very convoluted instructions for getting the app, for example in Ireland, but the hassle is not worth the bother.

Note, the "Alexa app" for the web browser is not actually an app. It is a website with your information.

What I like most about the Echo I imported is that it will play Pandora stations without a VPN. Normally Pandora is a restricted access from Mexico, but it could be that I set it up in the US and use a US zip code and/or the IP address of the request is not checked. 

Archived