Chapala.com Webboard

Economics of Chapala retirement

15 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Location of what? If you are talking about where my friend is renting a house, I specified the location.

I know that,

It's the location, I suggest, represents the price.

Many people here "have good deals" liveliving in areas /locations that they would not consider if NOB. There are plenty of lower rents NOB but would you want to live in that area/surroundings???

OK, she is 1km west of Ajijic centro, thus lower rent. Some of the more expensive homes are in Ajijic village and perhaps Las Salvias, which is just above the Carretera and Ajijic village. Not that there aren't other expensive areas outside Ajijic but they are very few. You can go look at various subdivisions and Fracs on www.chapalamls.net 

A question we were asked hundreds of times was "Is it easy to buy property in Mexico?" The answer was and still is "Yes". The question not nearly as many asked was "Is it easy to sell property in Mexico?" and the answer was and still is "Not nearly as easy, generally speaking".

After owning/selling two homes here over the past 10 years I now  prefer to rent . After much looking - and some good luck - I found my 2 bedroom house in SAT 'centro' . $3,800p /month , wonderful local Mexican landlord.  It was unfurnished & needed some TLC in the way of paint etc. but the owners  have always covered anything I asked for.  It's not fancy and while I admit to occasional feelings of house envy when visiting friends it's  everything I need & I love my Mexican neighborhood and my total living expenses , including weekly maid, are under $300 US.  Definitely could not happen in the US.

5 hours ago, seoulguy said:

El Saltos,  I know this is a Mex forum, but I first began to explore Colombia. First attracted by the ease of applying for permanent visa in country and the national health care (only one system). Wanted to find a Caribbean coastal town for suitable location, but can't find one good word about Cartagena, Santa Marta or Barranquilla. Studied them on MapQuest, just all sprawl. Infrastructure in a place like Medellin would be acceptable, but whoever said this town is cheap is misinformed and traffic would be a nightmare.  Wonder how you would compare CO to MEX in any regard you wish.

We've visited friends in Cali a couple of times over the past 4 years.  I liked the area, found the climate too hot and humid, and good shopping missing.  e.g. no home depot or costco.  Food, clothing, activities etc. were priced similar to Mexico.  Our friends there like Bogota very much.  I'm staying in Mexico!

12 hours ago, Xena said:

But you have the stress of loud music from a venue across the street from you. If you were renting you could have moved long ago. I would think the limited stress of a move would be better than years of constant stress from an annoyance you can do nothing about.

I do believe there are two different mindsets about renting vs owning. All my adult life I was an owner, first as part of a couple with kids, then as a single woman. After years of struggling with home care and unexpected expenses that popped up even in the last house which was brand new, I just got tired of it all. I do not have the kind of creature comforts that would require storage if I moved. I can't even imagine what those might be. I do understand people who want/need to own the house they live in. I used to be one. Luckily, we all have options to live the way we prefer.

Fortunately the place is so bad their business has declined to the point we hardly notice it now.  The local noise makers got tired of playing to an empty room, I guess.  The free market pretty much solved the problem for us.  Peace has largely returned. :D

There are a lot worse than this one around town.  Given the way that bar permits are handed out in this municipio, no one is really safe from having their own noisy nuisance across the street unless they live in a fracc.

You appear to be a lucky one that hasn't had to move repeatedly because of the house being sold, maintenance issues, big rent increases and the like.  I know a number of folks who have not been so lucky.  We are glad we bought.  

5 hours ago, Aquaponicsman said:

The Drudge Report has been running an article for two days about how boomers can live well in Latin America

Retirees flock to Latin America...

Upper-class lifestyle for $1,500 a month...

Yes and very interesting that the Cuencans have had it with foreigners moving in. Sounds like they are making life not so enjoyable for them and many are leaving.

I always wondered if that could happen to Ajijic in particular.

23 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I know that,

It's the location, I suggest, represents the price.

Many people here "have good deals" liveliving in areas /locations that they would not consider if NOB. There are plenty of lower rents NOB but would you want to live in that area/surroundings???

The house that I rent for 4,000 pesos a month is in an area of Chapala that is much nicer and safer than the neighborhood in the US where I lived last in a one-bedroom apartment that I paid 900 DOLLARS a month to rent. It is also nicer than some areas in Ajijic where people pay much higher rents because it is Ajijic. Yes, location is always a factor in what rent costs you. But, it also depends on how well you know the various communities and your connections. It is just plain silly to assume that anyone who got a good deal on housing is living in a bad location. 

Archived