Chapala.com Webboard

Johnsonville Polaco (Polish)

mhopkins2

Just picked some up at Walmart.  Haven't seen them in awhile.  If you're a fan, you may want to stock up today,

Yes they sell Johnsonville Polaco hot dogs. Costco takes 2 packages and tapes them together with 2 separate pieces of 2" clear tape that then is rung up as one item at the checkout which is located near the front of the store.

At WalMart, they are as stated by the OP: "Polish" sausage. Not bratwursts. SuperLake carries a few varieties of brats and kielbassa. Not cheap, but last week I got a sample from one of the distributors of his new Polish, and it was much tastier than anything I've tried down here. Packages of five, seems to usually have a table out on the weekends.

Kobasa/Kovabasa/Kielbasa/Kobasy/Kobasi... however you spell it, it is not a brand name, it's a type of Eastern European sausage. When I was with a Ukranian gal, it was pronounced kobasa, so I have never gotten used to the weird pronunciation of kielbasa. Interesting that a company would use the name as a brand that way, by changing the spelling. Although, we used to have a shoe company in Guadalajara called Canada Shoes...

5 hours ago, tomgates said:

Don,

That sausage is made in San Antonio, TX and is very good. SuperLake has it too. 

The Superlake price[290pesos] is considerably more than double that of Costco. And as a former Albertan, used to the best, I  can tell you that these are excellent garlic sausages. boiled or fried. Yes,Ukrainians pronounce kielbasa as koobasa. The San Antonio brand name is Kiolbassa which is the family's name apparently.

MundareSausageRing.JPG

Everything at SL from Costco is marked up because they have to drive there and get it and bring it back, and suffer spoilage, etc so you can buy it locally. 

I have noticed that SL sells Costco paper towels and toilet paper, The products, of course are more expensive, I remember about a 30% to 40% higher. The prices are obviously OK because these products sell.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I've never seen it at CostCo, but I've never seen anything at SuperLake even close to double the price of CostCo.

That sausage at Superlake is 30 pesos higher than keystone at 290. There are 7 to a package. The Costco price is 130 pesos for the same package.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of interest (I am well aware that imported food costs much more than domestic, etc), but we are back in Ontario for the summer, where our local supermarket sells those Johnsonville Polish sausages (hot dogs) for $2.75 Canadian.  On the other hand, a single avocado is $2.99 here at the moment.  

Most of us simply become what we eat!    Here's what in a Johnsonville Polish Sausage:

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=E7F7F042-E111-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

As an alternative, you can go to Tony's meat market (next to Superlake) and ask the owner (Tony's son, Cesar) to obtain the quantity of meat that you need and if you don't want to do it yourself you can have him grind it to the required specifications.  You can then take the pre-ground meat and add the ingredients from the following recipe.  If you don't want to go to the trouble of stuffing the prepared mixture into hog casings then you can form the mixture into firm meatball shapes all of the same size and then freeze all of the  "Polish Sausage Meatballs" on a tray in your freezer and once frozen then package the Sausage balls in resealable plastic freezer proof bags each containing what you consider to be an appropriate serving.  In our case we freeze five to a bag (which adequately serves my wife and I).  You can thaw before using (fry or grill) or you can prepare them in a sauce much the same as you would do with Italian meatballs.  The following recipe should give you 36 average size sausage balls. (Just over 2 ounces each)

Some sausage ball making hints:  Have the meat very chilled before you mix it.  To mix it spread the chilled meat out on a tray and by hand sprinkle all of the ingredients on the meat. Then place it in a large chilled bowl and with clean hands (rings removed) mix the entire mixture.  This should take you about 10 minutes of non stop mixing aggressively by hand to ensure equal distribution of the ingredients.  Then place the mixture in a plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or even better, overnight.  Then before you begin forming the sausage mixture into balls you can simply confirm that the wine has not separated from the meat mixture (it should not have) but if it has just take a few minutes to remix (You might not even have to take the mixture out of the bag)  Just squish the mixture in the bag with your hands a few times.

Polish Sausage

4-lbs ground pork     Note:  Tell Cesar you need  1.8kilos  )  coarsely ground
1-lb fine ground beef chuck   "       "        "       "      0.45kilos )    "                 "
2-tsp sugar
1-tbsp marjoram
1 1/2-tbsp salt
1/2-tsp allspice
1-tbsp black pepper
1-tbsp caraway seeds
8-cloves garlic, minced
1-cup cold white wine

Combine all ingredients; mix well & stuff into hog casing  (Just remember, the casing provides no flavour enhancement.....just appearance.)

On 6/12/2017 at 0:08 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Just saw three varieties of Johnsonville at WalMart, each at 92p. Very costly, and reflects a huge uptick in price over the last year.

I was at the PV Costco this morning and a 2 pack of the hotdogs was $115.

On 6/3/2017 at 10:23 AM, tomgates said:

Don,

That sausage is made in San Antonio, TX and is very good. SuperLake has it too. 

What's your preferred cooking method? I picked up a package this morning. I'm guessing they would be good with saurkraut.

PS I paid $162.66 and there are 7 in the package as Ned said.

MY preferred method is to slice them with little diagonal cuts on both sides; keeps them from 'splodin' when I grille them up on the Q over a flame, and they cook faster too. But when I'm by myself, I split them lengthwise and broil them in my toaster oven.Cutting-Hot-Dogs.jpg

Archived