Chapala.com Webboard

work permit

I just received my approval paper from my school to gain the work permit. They did everything at INM for this and I wasn't present for this part. Now I must go to the Mexican Consulate in the US within 30 days. I plan to go to El Paso. I have all the numbers and plan to call there. A friend went without an appointment and had no problems and rapid service. However, I still may make an appointment as well.

Questions:

What do I need besides my passport and the approval letter?

What do they ask in the interview? (I am working for Vancouver Language center in Guadalajara)

At what point do I inform the Aduana about my foreign plated vehicle. Now? or after I get the green card or both?

Thanks.

I did discover that you need a passport photo and 36 dollars cash. I did discover through calling Max Otto at the consulate in El Paso that you do not need an appt. However, you must show up between 8 and 11 am. Very good to get this info. My lawyer from the school is looking into the process with aduana for the vehicle.

Obviously, nobody knows squat about work permits here at lakeside. Including the schools. Too bad for them. They want Native Speakers teaching English in these schools, but they fail to register with INM, keep up their registrations and taxes which is the first step for a school to qualify to hire an extranjero. Oh, they'll hire you and promise the moon and the stars, but all they really want to do is pay you under the table as long as you are willing to play the game and stick around. Just a warning to that rare one out there who may be in my shoes. You'll find representation in some schools for a work visa in GDL, and even that is challenging these days. Nothing like the past, that's for sure.

To try and answer your questions regarding car permit; if you are receiving a Residente Temporal visa with a work permit you will simply get a car permit when you cross the border. If you are receiving a Residente Permanente visa you can not bring your car into Mexico.

You will need originals and a copies of the title, registration, your visa, and your passport. If you owe money on the vehicle you will need a letter from the lender authorizing the vehicle to be used in Mexico.

Banjercito can also issue you the temporary car permit (TIP) by mail so you do not have to deal with that at the border.

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

Re the car:
If you get your Temporary Import Permit when you enter Mexico with your 30 day visa, you only get a TIP for 30 days.

If you choose this route, then to preserve your deposit, you have to file additional paperwork with Aduana while INM is processing your visa application, to protect your $$ deposit. After you have your first in-office visit with INM.  they give you a NUT and some documentation.   When you get those, send a letter to Aduana explaining that your INM visa is being processed, supplying copies of the INM documentation that you have officially started the visa application process with INM - asking Aduana to extend the 30 day expiration date of your TIP to preserve your deposit.

When you are fingerprinted, and sign the INM signature card  and get that documentation,  again notify Aduana in writing that your Residente Temporal visa has been approved, listing that date and supplying Aduana copies of that INM document,  asking Aduana to extend your TIP expiration date to 1 year.

• 2 weeks later...

Trip report:

I flew to Juarez. Walked over the border and went to the Mexican Consulate the next day at 8am. Although I had called and you need no appointment, you must be prepared to pick up the processed passport in the afternoon. I explained to him that I had a round trip ticket and my plan was leaving Juarez airport at 3:40 that day. he expidited it and I had the passport back before  noon, took an American taxi to the airport, processed the passport at the INM desk at the airport and had the FMM slip filled out correctly with CANJE marked clearly. 2 agents were confused about how to process me, so they called the supervisor who seemed to have it together, she made sure the form was perfect and processed it immediately in the computer.

Therefore, I did not take the already TIP vehicle back to the border as I had returned to the border-Laredo in March to renew that and the tourist visa. Next week, I will be appearing at INM with the passport, the lawyer from the school. I have asked him about contacting the Aduana. I am still within the 30 day zone to make the first appearance at INM and get the fingerprinting done. 

This is a residential temporal-work permit, so I guess I am allowed to drive the foreign plated vehicle under the current law for the next 4 years. These work visas, under current law lead to permanent status if continued properly for 4 years. I am going to contact my lawyer about Snowyco has said. I think the Aduana has to be contacted before and after. Currently I have an active (not expired) TIP good until the end of August. 

The Aduana is at the airport, correct? Has anyone done this themselves? RE:Aduana over changing visa status??

I believe the visa will now be a slam dunk, however: I don't want to mess up with the car permit issue.

Thanks for all who responded and remember if you are using El Paso, maybe not book a roundtrip ticket. Your passport may not be ready for you to make your flight.

Archived