Chapala.com Webboard

Faster Internet - Rancho del Oro / Villa Nova

We are putting together a list of interested residents of Villa Nova and Rancho del Oro - who are willing to cooperate with the Telmex capital investment charge and accelerate the upgrade of our neighborhoods. If you live in either colonia and are interested - please go to the sign up form here:

Faster Internet Sign Up Form - Villa Nova & Rancho del Oro

Privacy notice:  This is a secure form on the Wufoo web site, operated by Survey Monkey.  Their privacy notice here .  Information provided on this form will  be shared only with Telmex and/or neighborhood coordinators for the purposes of upgrading Internet service. If you have any concerns about privacy please PM me.  We don't want any interest to go un-noted!. 

Tom

I see a problem collecting that much money voluntarily. Some people will rush to donate. Some will be financially unable to donate. Some will say, why should I donate if I don't have to? Some will say, why should I contribute to the infrastructure of a huge company like Telmex?  Any comments or input?

If there were competition, Telmex would probably be forced to upgrade their existing network. Since that is not the case, if one wants better connectivity then it turns into a Do it Yourself project.. Kudos to Tom for starting this.... 

49 minutes ago, Nicolas said:

I see a problem collecting that much money voluntarily. Some people will rush to donate. Some will be financially unable to donate. Some will say, why should I donate if I don't have to? Some will say, why should I contribute to the infrastructure of a huge company like Telmex?  Any comments or input?

Simple: If Telmex actually improves the quality/speed to above what the rest of lakeside offers it raises property values.

I pay telcel close to $350 usd a month because there are no other reliable options for internet for my case. If all of a sudden a rental in rancho del oro has fiber it would be a huge incentive for someone like me to move there. Also because of the supply and demand rule you as a landlord can now charge more for it. 

I must be missing something. I live in Villa Nova and enjoy very fast and reliable internet service from Telecable. (Admittedly I've been NOB for the past couple months.  Has something changed?)

I live next door in Rancho del Oro... I am regularly getting 6 down and 1 up.. Which keeps the engine going but does not handle heavy video loads... I am one of those who feels that if you can make things better "Why not?"... 

If I thought a landlord felt he could charge more because of high-speed Internet, I'd move on to the next place. Of course to us it seems ludicrous that the big monopolies don't constantly spend on infrastructure, but that's definitely life here. So I guess it all depends on the perception of value the potential "investors" see it as.

Since I am not a resident of Villa Nova, I can't complete the form, but I would like to ask if upon pressing the SUBMIT button you are taken to a page that shows the progress (eg: number of signees, selected amount, etc.).

1 hour ago, jrm30655 said:

And what will the new monthly cost be?

Surely there will be no cost until that amount of internet usage has been passed. In other words wouldn't it just be an intrest free loan to TelMex?  If I pay a lump sum of 4 year's cost at $559 a month or $28752 wouldn't they then owe me that amount of service?

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Your monthly costs will be your TelMex paquete contracts; there will be no refunds or rebates.

Why don't they raise this money through a new stock issue?  Yes it is delutive but current investors have no guarantee against that, kor they can self fund the expansion. They are asking for us to assume this risk with no upside. If they can't reach the speeds they sell after this investment what is our recourse? Not saying I don't trust them but I've dealt with them for a couple of decades and rarely seen them deliver what they promised. But hey, they're as dependable as Telebras.

On 5/29/2017 at 3:15 PM, tkessler said:

We are putting together a list of interested residents of Villa Nova and Rancho del Oro - who are willing to cooperate with the Telmex capital investment charge and accelerate the upgrade of our neighborhoods. If you live in either colonia and are interested - please go to the sign up form here:

Faster Internet Sign Up Form - Villa Nova & Rancho del Oro

Privacy notice:  This is a secure form on the Wufoo web site, operated by Survey Monkey.  Their privacy notice here .  Information provided on this form will  be shared only with Telmex and/or neighborhood coordinators for the purposes of upgrading Internet service. If you have any concerns about privacy please PM me.  We don't want any interest to go un-noted!. 

Tom

Some of the residents of Las Salvias (adjacent to Villa Nova) would like to participate.  Possible or not?

Gents,

Some responses to the most recent comments:

- No collections planned for large amounts of money.  Any payment would be one time on the Telmex bill as part of the agreement to contribute. 

- Telmex prioritizes capital projects per their budget and natural expansion in the area.  There are parts of Rancho del Oro and western Ajijic  undergoing natural growth, which may trigger an expansion project anyway.  But currently Ajijic office says nothing scheduled for this area.

- Only 10 people have signed up so far.  We need about 100 willing to pay at least 3000 pesos one time.   I'm working on the form providing feedback on no. of sign ups.

- If you are close to Rancho del  Oro / Villa Nova and wish to sign up, just add a note on your colonia. 

- I've heard mixed comments about Telecable service in the area. Orygun Duck what speeds are you getting?

Tom

Archived