Chapala.com Webboard

where to recycle plastic

The place on the left, going into Chapala, isn't taking plastics.  I have plastics (milk and pop bottles) and aluminum cans.  Probably enough to almost fill the back of a half ton.  Mostly from the street trash.

I am hoping to find a non-profit which will pick them up and take the money.  I live one short block off the carretera in Riberas.  I've tried to contact four non-profits, two responses, and am thinking this is not going to work.  Anyone out there who has contacts and can give me a lead?  I'd really like these to go before rainy season.

TIA

Linda

If you find out what to do please post. There is a whole bunch of pastic at the end of Rio Zula and that could be hauled off too but who knows where... When the lake comes back up back in the lake it will go if nothing is done.. The garbage situation is worse and worse. A school came to pick up the lakeside but they left the full bags to be hauled off and of course no one is hauling off...

11 hours ago, Torontonian said:

The place on the left, going into Chapala, isn't taking plastics.  I have plastics (milk and pop bottles) and aluminum cans.  Probably enough to almost fill the back of a half ton.  Mostly from the street trash.

I am hoping to find a non-profit which will pick them up and take the money.  I live one short block off the carretera in Riberas.  I've tried to contact four non-profits, two responses, and am thinking this is not going to work.  Anyone out there who has contacts and can give me a lead?  I'd really like these to go before rainy season.

TIA

Linda

I don`t know of any places right on the lake.  Just the place the basuleros take all their recyclables and trash. It`s across from the  set of booths that sell quince candies and other things before you come to Istlahuacan.  You might get 4 pesos/kilo for the number 1 plastic.  That`s what we were giving a couple of years ago at the recycling center.

On 5/29/2017 at 11:14 AM, bmh said:

If you find out what to do please post. There is a whole bunch of pastic at the end of Rio Zula and that could be hauled off too but who knows where... When the lake comes back up back in the lake it will go if nothing is done.. The garbage situation is worse and worse. A school came to pick up the lakeside but they left the full bags to be hauled off and of course no one is hauling off...

BMH where exactly are the bags you are mentioning ? Call to delegacion 766 1760 and tell them. They will send some guys to haul off the bags

16 hours ago, Floradude said:

Several have tried to start a business by recycling plastic but sadly none have succeeded.

The margin is very slim.  You can`t make it with the kind of rent you need to pay for a big warehouse, 3-4 people to process the plastic and the purchase of a mill and other equipment.  Probably needs to be a non-profit.  Harnessing Jocotepec`s plastic would be a big help towards keeping a business on the north shore viable.

Archived