Chapala.com Webboard

Driving Lakeside to Colorado in July

I am interested in comments comparing crossing at Laredo versus crossing at El Paso.  Thank you.

I make that drive a lot... Lakeside to Colorado. The shortest route and with the least tolls is not through either one of those crossings but rather either Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass TX or just up the road Ciudad Acuna/Del Rio Tx. And the roads are great.  If one is not "interested" in going that way for whatever reason, my recommendation is to go through Laredo (using the Colombia crossing in that vicinity).

Why? Well it is shorter than through Juarez/El Paso and one spends less time and tolls driving in Mexico. Shorter means less tolls and less fuel costs (since gas in Mexico is around $3.60 and in Texas it is in the low $2.xx) and less hassle finding a hotel along the route.  And although I drive 1,000s of miles in Mexico, when I leave I try to get to a US border as quickly as possible as I find driving in the US 'easier' in all respects.

Let me know if you would like further info regards going the Eagle Pass route to Colorado.

We drive to Colorado twice a year and for us I find the shortest route is to go through Chihuahua crossing at Santa Teresa. Gas expenditure is really a not a factor as the gas might be more but the distance is less so it evens out in the end. Your most expensive tolls will be down here getting less as you get to the border. For a hotel we stay in Delicias for the night at the American Inn. They've also finished the periferico around the city of Chihuahua so you no longer have to drive through it.

I used to go that route.... and still do if I get bored with driving through Del Rio Tx. But the mileage is the same (Ajijic to Denver) no matter which route (1636 vs 1646 miles).  BUT going though Santa Teresa vs going through Del Rio is 270 miles more in Mexico so fuel cost is not insignificant. AND tolls are triple going through El Paso vs Del Rio Tx....  $1500 pesos vs $520.

If the above sounds picky, I apologize but the OP and others probably should know that the different routes are.... different in most respects.

P.S.  Thanks for the heads-up on the Delicias hotel. When I go that way I usually stop in Jiminez at a new hotel, Hotel Jiminez Plaza... very secure and restaurant on site. But sometimes in the summer with extended daylight hours Jiminez is too early to stop so Delicias is a good alternative farther down the road.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

But the mileage is the same (Ajijic to Denver) no matter which route (1636 vs 1646 miles).  

Didn't know this. Will have to give it a try. Where do you stop on the way up when you go this route?

How far one can get in a day's drive out depends on several things of course ..... your speed, how many times you stop, traffic, how much daylight on the day of your travel, etc.

When I travel I am usually by myself so I get to set the rules. In winter with less daylight I usually stop in Monclova, Coahuila... about 10 hours for me. Several very nice hotels. In the summer with more daylight I'll drive all the way to either Eagle Pass Tx or Del Rio Tx depending on which I decide to cross at. 13 hours. If one gets a late start from Lakeside, one might stop short  'around' Saltillo for the night. Many hotels out by the airport (Ramos Arizpe).

The rest of the trip to Colorado can be on various routes and/but all Texas roads no matter whether US or State highways are excellent. If I stop by my daughter's house I'll go through San Angelo and up to Lubbock/Amarillo, but if not I'll go a little west of there just to the east of Midland and on up to Lubbock. From Amarillo it depends on where in Colorado one is heading.

We too have made the same trip many times.  I agree with Rick on every point.  We always go through Ciudad Acuna only because it is a little north of Piedras Negras and closer to where we are headed.  It is also a little town about the size of Ajijic where all the services to exit and enter, including the bridge, are right on the plaza.  There are only a couple of tricky parts like the loop Around Aguascalientes but with a printout from Google Earth it isn't bad. We also do it in one 13 hour day but you could stop in Monclova or Satillo.  The highway goes right through Monclova where in the case of Saltillo you have to into town off the highway (which is a cuota around town now) so a  lot harder to do than another hour to Monclova.  Del Rio Texas is actually a nice little town as border towns go.  Lots of long boring stretches no matter how you go so keep an eye on the gas gauge. Be safe.  Alan

Thanks to all for the info you've posted so far.  I'll take a much closer look, and may post further queries and comments.

Archived