Chapala.com Webboard

UPDATE: Crossing at Laredo on Bridge II

Hud

We crossed into Mexico yesterday (5-26-2017) about 4:00 p.m. on Bridge II, heading toward Chapala. WE SAW NO EVIDENCE of any construction (current or recent) on either side of the bridge, going under the Bridge II to get the Tourist and Car Permits, nor on the road going out of Laredo toward Monterrey. That includes any sign of a road blockage that would interfere with a normal entry process in any way, from either side. The conditions were exactly the same as they have  been for the dozens of times we have crossed in the last 19 years. It took about 25-30 minutes to get the Permits below the bridge (after we got the green light to skip inspection) and within another 25 minutes we were past the military 30 KM checkpoint and headed to Monterrey. Traffic from Laredo, on the Bridge, and out of N. L. was NORMAL, certainly not heavy on either side.The TRUCK traffic was NORMAL, there were NO LINES of TRUCKS backed up anywhere that we went. The first place we saw a line of slow moving trucks was near Matehuala, at a checkpoint on the North Bound side. So, if you are concerned about crossing at Bridge II, we saw NOTHING that would make us look anywhere else.

Thanks for that report, Hud.  I can assure you that on April 26th  when I was there, there was NO way one could get to the permit/INM building taking the route off of Blvd. Colosio... just east/south of the building going under Bridge II.  I too have gone that way for years. And also the same 2 weeks later, according to an acquaintance who tried. The lateral had a 10' deep 30' to 50' long section missing and barricades denying access off Colosio... and no signs to inform folks how else to get to the building. The only way to get to the building was coming in from the west side, under Bridge I... a route through N. Laredo not known to many folks.

With respect to the big storm/tornado and the destruction of the Customs Buildings at Briidge IV (World Trade Commercial Bridge) last week, I think they are sending "all" the truck traffic through Bridge III (Colombia Solidarity) out west of it and Laredo proper. The US Customs "border crossing times" website shows heavy truck traffic there much of the time when there used to be very little commercial traffic.

And again, thanks for the info.

P.S.  I'm curious if you took the 'new' western San Luis Potosí bypass that opened recently?

I took the 49D bypass west of SLP 2 weeks ago.  It is great, fast, well marked signage, and at that time no state police.  I won't take the southern route again around to 57 & the La Potosina travel stop.  Pemex and Oxxo are on the 49D route already and open for business.  

6 hours ago, RickS said:

P.S.  I'm curious if you took the 'new' western San Luis Potosí bypass that opened recently?

The best 104 pesos I have spent in many years(47 & 57) Excellent 2 lane (fast -30 minutes), no police, and Very courteous drivers (move over so you can pass - I guess the Liberals have not discovered it yet). Saves Lots of time.  :D

We took the new 20D bypass around western SLP on Friday and agree that it shaves time and has pretty scenery. However....there is no open gas station, altho there is one that looks ready to open at any point (the pumps are reading...but they are not open). Gas up before you get on it or you have to get to Ojuelos/Lagos for fuel.

15 hours ago, jrod said:

We took the new 20D bypass around western SLP on Friday and agree that it shaves time and has pretty scenery. However....there is no open gas station, altho there is one that looks ready to open at any point (the pumps are reading...but they are not open). Gas up before you get on it or you have to get to Ojuelos/Lagos for fuel.

There is a fuel stop at the Pueblito, before Ojuelos turn-off, and just before the Autopista to Lagos, not far from the end of the By-Pass It has Nice restrooms, a SUBWAY, and a Nice store. We haven't been through Ojuelos in years. There is also another Pueblito just before you enter the By-Pass on the other end. Easy fuel access at either. Depending on how you drive, but we were only on the By-Pass for 30 minutes.

So is the route designation on the western bypass  "20D"?  On google maps it has always shown it as "49D". And what is the route designation once one crosses over/under 49 and continues south towards Villa Arriga?

Also Hud, you mentioned Ojuelos and driving through it. Did you just want to take a side trip or am I not remembering right. When one uses the new western bypass does one not just come down 80 'thru' Villa Arriga and connect on the 'new' 2-lane 80D cuota down to Lagos.... therefore bypassing Ojuelos which is off to the west at some distance?

13 hours ago, Hud said:

There is a fuel stop at the Pueblito, before Ojuelos and the Autopista to Lagos, not far from the end of the By-Pass It has Nice restrooms, a SUBWAY, and a Nice store. We haven't been through Ojuelos in years. There is also another Pueblito just before you enter the By-Pass on the other end. Easy fuel access at either. Depending on how you drive, but we were only on the By-Pass for 30 minutes.

Driving our Honda CRV we find that if we fill up at "La Estacion" the place just north of SLP that has the train cars, we arrive home with nearly a quarter tank of gas.

As noted, there is also a nice rest stop/fuel stop on the south side before you hit the Ojuelos exit.  It does tend to be busy and a bit slow on Sundays.

The toll just for the south bypass cuota of the previous route is over 130 pesos and it is a pretty poor road with no shoulders and (last time I drove it) a lot of rough pavement and truck traffic.  Plus it had that notorious speed trap on the east end just before Ruta 57.  Even before this new road opened we started driving through SLP rather than use the south and east bypass because it was faster and cheaper.

As a sidenote, I am happy to see the toll booths "separated" from the rest stops... at least one stop on the way and back to Manzanillo a couple of weeks ago had the cleanest restrooms, with seats on the johns, that I have seen anywhere.

Archived