Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Honda CRV and HRV vs American


Recommended Posts

I got the high end HR-V and it lacks navigation that the US counterpart has. Has the same airbags, etc that the US one has.

Link to post
Share on other sites

However, it *may* not have the same emissions standards or other DOT standards. Not saying it doesn't, but check.  IF it meets US (EPA and CARB) emissions it will have a sticker/placard under the hood stating that it meets those standards. DOT info/sticker will probably be on the driver's door jamb. I'm not sure but I suspect that if 'recently' built vehicles for the Mexican market MET those US standards, those stickers would be there. They would NOT build them to those standards and then not put the stickers on. 

Percentage-wise, could you say how much is "far less"?  

Me thinks that if they are 'identical' and meet the standards and are 'far cheaper', then folks would be importing them into the US right and left. I recently imported a 2003 Infiniti 'built for Canada' SUV into the US. It had the necessary 'stickers' and, with a letter of conformity from the Manufacturer (easy to obtain!) was able to import it. Only a US citizen can do it without going through an official Importing Company. I did have to pay a Tax of around 2.5%.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The CRV is built in Mexico and the ones they build for Mexico may lack some of the options found on the US models.  Also bear in mind the exchange rate drop has not been fully reflected in Mexican cars priced in pesos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, barbara habacht said:

My Honda Fit, built in Mexico...does Not have some accessories and features found on the made in Mexico for the US market models.

Fred Habacht

We have the same car. True it doesn't have all the features that are available in the U.S. But I believe the basic platform is the same, brakes engine, air bags. I asked the dealer where we bought our car why we couldn't get these options and basically the answer was that Mexicans wouldn't pay for them. For the approximately $6,000 less in price I can live without them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What options would a comparable US Fit have that would cost an extra $6,000?  That's a lot of options.  I suspect that the exchange rate is playing a part here also. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RickS said:

However, it *may* not have the same emissions standards or other DOT standards. Not saying it doesn't, but check.  IF it meets US (EPA and CARB) emissions it will have a sticker/placard under the hood stating that it meets those standards. DOT info/sticker will probably be on the driver's door jamb. I'm not sure but I suspect that if 'recently' built vehicles for the Mexican market MET those US standards, those stickers would be there. They would NOT build them to those standards and then not put the stickers on. 

Percentage-wise, could you say how much is "far less"?  

Me thinks that if they are 'identical' and meet the standards and are 'far cheaper', then folks would be importing them into the US right and left. I recently imported a 2003 Infiniti 'built for Canada' SUV into the US. It had the necessary 'stickers' and, with a letter of conformity from the Manufacturer (easy to obtain!) was able to import it. Only a US citizen can do it without going through an official Importing Company. I did have to pay a Tax of around 2.5%.

 

Approx 15 -20% for the HRV  (entry model) with CVT.  did not factor in Tax on US side.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone willing to talk about what features the vehicle doesn't have on it when its a Mexican market rather than the US market.  I am very curious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Less than a month ago, we bought a Honda CR-V Turbo in Morelia. I spent a lot of time beforehand on the Internet to compare the U.S. with the Mexican models. While the U.S. has some 5 or more "trim" levels, the Mexican has three. You can see a detailed list of features of the 3 Mexican models here. Ficha técnica.

I also waded through the English version owners' manual online, realizing that the features varied some from the Mexican model. No remote startup for the Mexican version, which is just as well.

It's easy to drive, although we had to make some adjustment after driving a Ford Windstar for the past 11 years. Keyless, pushbutton startup is a snap; keyless entry took a little time to learn, but walk away door lock took some extensive familiarization to where we would feel confident that the doors were truly locked.

The interactive touch screen can be daunting for non techie types. But after much study, I realized that there are various "states' of function. If you have an iPhone or an Android phone, you can display a restricted group of apps on the Honda's touch screen.

I'm still needing to familiarize myself with the audio controls on the left side of the steering wheel. So far, I've had some success in using Siri voice control (while parked, not while driving. Not yet.) But these features are icing on the cake. I will note that I had to use the touch screen to make system and vehicle changes, notably interior lights and most importantly, the walk away door lock.

We believe that our car was manufactured in the U.S. It has a sticker that indicates such. All the controls are in English. However, the speedometer is in kilometers per hour, not miles.

710JMKCJErL._UY560_.thumb.jpg.1d65f66253a960b6309b0546f800da57.jpg

Plata Luna color CR-V similar to ours.

 

Edited by Don Cuevas
Additions and corrections
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the specs for U.S. Honda CR-Vs 2017, which amazingly, come in 10 "flavors"!

For what it's worth, the U.S. CR-V web site is plain and dull compared to the jazzy, animated Mexican site.

I'm pleased to say that ours came with a full size spare tire, while its U.S. counterpart has a compact spare. We also got a nifty tool kit, along with our Spanish owner's manual and a CD. I have no way of playing the latter. They could have put the data on a pen drive, but I'm not complaining.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RickS said:

What options would a comparable US Fit have that would cost an extra $6,000?  That's a lot of options.  I suspect that the exchange rate is playing a part here also. 

The list is actually quite extensive. The top of the line U.S. Fit at $22,240 has leather interior, sunroof, navigation system, CVT with paddle shifters, back up camera, heated seats, lane watch, push button start. The top of the line Mexican Fit Hit at 269,900 pesos ($14,559) has none of these.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you call Honda US or complete the form on-line, they will send you an English owners manual, free. I think you have to do it within 6 months of buying the car.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Owner's manual is available on line for the CRV... We had leather installed for about $1000 extra.. Excellent job and we were able to pick the color... Honda's selection is limited. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, solajijic said:

Anyone willing to talk about what features the vehicle doesn't have on it when its a Mexican market rather than the US market.  I am very curious. 

My CRV is 2 years old bought new. It does not have the side air bags and possibly other things. Of course the warranty is far shorter and to have any warranty all service listed in the manual must be performed at the dealer. Perform them on time and have your receipts and you won't have the manufacturers warranty. The warranty in the USA is 100,000 miles and CRV here has only 31680 miles. Same engine, don't know but it looks like it. Dealer service is expensive though cheaper than in the states at the dealers. US Courts threw that restrictive limitation out over 65 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The CRV is no longer built in Mexico.  All the plants are now in the US or Canada.

I have been waiting for 6 weeks to receive my Honda CRV Touring to arrive from the US.  

The Honda plant in El Salto that used to make the CRV was converted to make the HRV for 2017.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dcstroker said:

The list is actually quite extensive. The top of the line U.S. Fit at $22,240 has leather interior, sunroof, navigation system, CVT with paddle shifters, back up camera, heated seats, lane watch, push button start. The top of the line Mexican Fit Hit at 269,900 pesos ($14,559) has none of these.

Wow, thanks everyone for all this great info!  BTW, Don Cuevas look at your VIN#... if it starts with a "1, 4 or 5", the vehicle was manufactured in the USA. "2" Cadana and "3" Mexico, "J" Japan etc etc

So back to the "same car is cheaper in Mexico". From what I am reading the cars are cheaper in part because they are not the same car... at least from an options and possibly warranty standpoint and maybe even some safety features... some.

Would some of you with newer vehicles purchased for use in Mexico look under your hood and see if you see an EPA Emissions placard (and maybe the driver's door jamb for DOT (NASTA-National Auto Safety Transportation Act) sticker?

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Wow, thanks everyone for all this great info!  BTW, Don Cuevas look at your VIN#... if it starts with a "1, 4 or 5", the vehicle was manufactured in the USA. "2" Cadana and "3" Mexico, "J" Japan etc etc

"1", and the sticker says "Honda of America".

I haven't located an EPA emissions placard, nor DOT, but I haven't lifted the hood yet.

Yes, this has been a very interesting thread and I learned new information.

 

For safety information, one might consult the ficha técnica that I linked earlier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickS said:

 

So back to the "same car is cheaper in Mexico". From what I am reading the cars are cheaper in part because they are not the same car... at least from an options and possibly warranty standpoint and maybe even some safety features... some.

Would some of you with newer vehicles purchased for use in Mexico look under your hood and see if you see an EPA Emissions placard (and maybe the driver's door jamb for DOT (NASTA-National Auto Safety Transportation Act) sticker?

 

I checked under the hood of my car and there is no EPA sticker. Haven't been able to find anything on the internet showing that there would be anything different as to emissions. All Fits have ABS, U.S. and Mx. The top of the line Fit in Mx. has 6 airbags the bottom and middle have 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my email above I mentioned that I have been waiting for 5 weeks to receive my CRV Touring from the States.  I ordered it in July.   I decided to send an email to  my Honda Salesman and yes he replied today (Sunday).  I thought I would share part of his email for you Honda CRV fans.

You are right Honda USA is keeping all Touring ones, I have told by our manager about maybe in July we are going to start getting that Top version of CRV, I apologize with you but as you know it doesn’t depend on Vanguardia or any other dealer here in México, American Honda decided to send CRV Turbo Plus and EX the basic one.

So what he is saying is the Honda USA is withholding the top of the line Touring model and only sending the EX and the Turbo model to Mexico.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, without that sticker/placard underneath the hood that car could not be imported into the US as it does NOT meet US/CARB emissions (for the year that car was manufactured). Now no one is saying that they WANT to import it into the US (or Canada for that matter) but it does show that Honda has not 'engineered' it to meet those standards or it would definitely have that sticker. Who knows just what that may mean.

All models of the US 2016 FIT have 6 airbags so the other levels of a Mexican Fit have less protection. There is a possibility that the Mexican version MAY not have some of the Active safety features like Vehicle Stability Assist w/Traction Control or 'LaneWatch' cameras or multi-angle rear view mirror or fog lights etc etc.  

So, yes, a Mexican Fit is not equipped with some safety and environmental equipment that the US/Canadian version does have standard and maybe more that we aren't privy to, so no wonder that they are cheaper. (I'm using a Fit because we were talking about it and have testimonial about what they might have or not have)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Before selling a vehicle in any market the auto companies do extensive research to see what the consumer in that markets wants and what they don't want and what they will pay. So Honda's in Mexico are marketed to Mexicans not Gringos.

I can't speak about Honda's because personally I wouldn't drive a Honda  or any other rice burner.. 

I drive a BMW and when I travel I rent a BMW Or an Audi.

Went I rent a BWM in Europe they have features not available in North America.  One notable feature is "One touch close"  When you lock the vehicle all windows and sunroof will close. A very nice feature to have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...