Chapala.com Webboard

Penalties for crossing border late with truck permit?

As Maincoons noted, the deposit has been forfeited. You may obtain a Retorno Seguro. There are a couple of ways to get one as per here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html

Worse case scenario would be an accident as you have no insurance without a Retorno Seguro.

good luck

Sonia

I wish that there was 'confirmable' information about this 'no insurance if TIP is invalid' scenario. Or verifiable information that might say "some insurance policies will still be valid, others won't... depends on the underlying Company".

Local insurance Agents might tell a customer that their insurance is still valid (due to insuffucient knowledge?) but will the underlying insurance Company back that up... expecially in the event of an accident?

I know of a recent case where a short-term policy was written, on a vehicle that I know had an expired TIP, for the sole purpose of driving it to the border. Of course that same Agent (not local!) was telling the owner that the TIP was valid even tho she was Permanente, claiming a 'grandfather' clause in the Law. No such clause exists to my knowledge but the owner was surely wanting to believe, and did, that she was legal.

Every policy that we ever had, included a statemtne, “the vehicle must be in Mexico legally“, and we considered that to be something that would invalidate the insurance whenever the vehicle became illegal; like an expired importada temporal.  Since valid insurance is required, an illegal vehicle would seem to be ripe for impoundment, or even confiscatiion. As such, we made sure to get a Returno Seguro, when we had to take ours out of Mexico.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

I wish that there was 'confirmable' information about this 'no insurance if TIP is invalid' scenario. Or verifiable information that might say "some insurance policies will still be valid, others won't... depends on the underlying Company".

Local insurance Agents might tell a customer that their insurance is still valid (due to insuffucient knowledge?) but will the underlying insurance Company back that up... expecially in the event of an accident?

I know of a recent case where a short-term policy was written, on a vehicle that I know had an expired TIP, for the sole purpose of driving it to the border. Of course that same Agent (not local!) was telling the owner that the TIP was valid claiming a 'grandfather' clause in the Law. No such clause exists to my knowledge!

Very easy to check,  JUST READ THE INSURANCE POLICY.  In my ten years of having a vehicle in Mexico my insurance policy has always had in the fine print

"Must be legal in Mexico" 

If your TIP Is not valid then your vehicle is not legal.  So no need for the insurance company to payout.

1 hour ago, Bontekoe said:

I think you made a big mistake for sure you will be denied a TIP if you are going to try take a car truck into Mexico again.

And if you are cought you truck will be confiscated

I don't think that is true.

Friends vehicle was totaled in San Miguel. Insurance company's response was prove your vehicle is legal in Mexico. We went to Aduana at the Queretaro airport and obtained such a letter. Without that letter insurance adjuster clearly stated no coverage. 

It has always been true that your TIP is Valid as long as your immigration status is legal. It doesn't matter that the date on the TIP is past due as long as your papers are in date. That is why there are hundreds of vehicles here that are many years out of date. Now you can get a 4 year temporado immigration status that you have to leave the country to renew at a consulate in the states.

1 hour ago, geeser said:

It has always been true that your TIP is Valid as long as your immigration status is legal. It doesn't matter that the date on the TIP is past due as long as your papers are in date. That is why there are hundreds of vehicles here that are many years out of date. Now you can get a 4 year temporado immigration status that you have to leave the country to renew at a consulate in the states.

That is true but if you do not go to Aduana every time you renew your visa to extend your TIP you loose the deposit. 

At same time insurance company asks for you to prove vehicle is legal when in an accident. They do not assume.

1 hour ago, geeser said:

It has always been true that your TIP is Valid as long as your immigration status is legal.

And in addition to what Sonia just point out, if your 'immigration status' is Permanente you cannot have a "TIP" vehicle in Mexico.... so only Temporal.

11 hours ago, Hud said:

I don't think that is true.

Which part do you think is untrue... the confiscation part or the "being able to obtain a TIP on another subsequent vehicle" part?

3 hours ago, geeser said:

NOT TRUE!!!!   Your TIP has nothing to do with your immigration status.. The date on your TIP is the date it expires.  Unless you go to aduana and renew it that is.

It amazes me why people post these type of questions on here. They get answers from people who know nothing about everything. If you get arrested and your vehicle gets impounded using the excuse "I read it on the Chapala web board" won't fly

The only answer that matters is the official one. In the case of a TIP from aduana.

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

NOT TRUE!!!!   Your TIP has nothing to do with your immigration status.. The date on your TIP is the date it expires.  Unless you go to aduana and renew it that is.

It amazes me why people post these type of questions on here. They get answers from people who know nothing about everything. If you get arrested and your vehicle gets impounded using the excuse "I read it on the Chapala web board" won't fly

The only answer that matters is the official one. In the case of a TIP from aduana.

How is your Spanish? 

Vigencia

El plazo autorizado para retornar los vehículos que hubieran sido importados temporalmente por mexicanos residentes en el extranjero, será de 180 días naturales de estancia efectiva en el país, computables a partir de la fecha de ingreso del vehículo a territorio nacional y utilizables en un periodo de doce meses, considerando entradas y salidas múltiples, amparado en todo momento por la garantía existente.

El plazo autorizado para retornar los vehículos que hubieran sido importados temporalmente por extranjeros será el de la vigencia de su condición de estancia otorgada por la autoridad migratoria.

Back many years ago when I was a temp I crossed into Mexico in Oct, got my TIP at the border. My temp expired in Jan so did my TIP. I believe you have 15 or 30 days after your temp expires to go to aduana and renew your TIP, the problem was in those days it took anywhere from 30 to 60 days to get your new temp visa in your hand, you can't renew your TIP until you have your visa in your hand which results in the deadline for renewing your TIP  expiring,  you have now lost your deposit...

Im not going to name names but a lawyer who is quoted many times on this board told me for a fee he could get my deposit back.....Never happened..still waiting ..

And the sad part is he sucked me in twice.... 

8 hours ago, RickS said:

And in addition to what Sonia just point out, if your 'immigration status' is Permanente you cannot have a "TIP" vehicle in Mexico.... so only Temporal.

My temporado is for 3 years but my tip is only for 6 months. So how does this work?

4 hours ago, Sonia said:

How is your Spanish? 

Vigencia

El plazo autorizado para retornar los vehículos que hubieran sido importados temporalmente por mexicanos residentes en el extranjero, será de 180 días naturales de estancia efectiva en el país, computables a partir de la fecha de ingreso del vehículo a territorio nacional y utilizables en un periodo de doce meses, considerando entradas y salidas múltiples, amparado en todo momento por la garantía existente.

El plazo autorizado para retornar los vehículos que hubieran sido importados temporalmente por extranjeros será el de la vigencia de su condición de estancia otorgada por la autoridad migratoria.

Sonia why would the Mx government post this on their own web site: http://sat.gob.mx/BienvenidoaMexico/Paginas/permiso_vehiculo_eng.html

As a foreigner, the expiration date of your permit will be the same as that of your immigration status, including its continuous renewals provided that they are sequential. Bear in mind that you need to submit your notice to the Customs Office within 15 days of the date of the immigration document renewal, for you to be entitled to have your permit deposit reimbursed.

How would this work with a 3 year temporado residence status?

Geeser I covered that above and here on my web site: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html

Protecting deposit is a separate issue.

2 hours ago, Sonia said:

Geeser I covered that above and here on my web site: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html

Protecting deposit is a separate issue.

When you handle someone's renewal don't you also handle the TIP renewal. It sounds the same as it has as it has been for 15 years or so? It sounds as if the OP is more interseted in getting to the border legally than in protecting his deposit. Is he legal or not? but he doesn't want his truck seized., sounds reasonable?

Sounds to me like the OP has over stayed a Tourist Permit with a TIP. So, just guessing, both the OP and the truck are illegal in Mexico. Now, if this were NOB a year ago, I would say "no problem". However, Mexico is a country that is serious about illegals who disrespect her laws, and rightly so. Don't get caught.

Archived