Chapala.com Webboard

Small quiet fan

I need a small quiet fan to keep the mosquitoes at bay when I'm sleeping. Has anyone seen one Lakeside? I have a small one now but it is much too noisy-even on low. 

1 hour ago, artsnob said:

I have a blue light flying insect trap, that the bugs drop down into holder, Works great and also creates a night lite, I bought it at Costco

Interesting. Does it nab mosquitoes? What does it look like? I've searched Costco but can't find it.

6 hours ago, giltner68 said:

I had two Honeywell towers that I bought at Walmart, the nicest quietest I've ever seen.

No Honeywell towers at Walmart but I bought a small Holmes one there. If it doesn't do the job tonight off to Coppell tomorrow and maybe the art gallery if we find out where it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Zippi-Personal-Fan-Ice/dp/B0027LSHMS/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1495913696&sr=8-27&keywords=vornado

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BF3XMXM/ref=twister_B01CE9XHK4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I recently bought 2 each of these fans and Amazon shipped them via DHL to arrive within a week of ordering.  They come in different colors and like many things on Amazon US you have to look at each color to see whether or not that color ships to Mexico for free.  They came in the same big Amazon box.  For instance the Twister fan ships in the cream color but not in the dark blue color.  Go figure.

Those devices mentioned by artsnob are Dynatraps. Frontgate in the US has sold them for years. I find they work better if I put one of my "stinky" athletic socks in the top above the fan. 

Dynatraps-interesting. Quite expensive. Are they worth it?

The small fan I bought at Walmart kept my bedroom mosquito free last night.

This is not the cheapest solution, and not what you said you were looking for, But it is a great solution for mosquitos, flies etc.  When the architect designed my home, he put a ceiling fan over the bed. You know, the one with very long and large blades that rotate slowly when turned on. He said and was correct that not only will I use it for cooling, but when there are mosquitos in the bedroom it is (his words) the best solution to keep those persons under the fan Mosquito free.  And even running very slowly it works

I've had it since the house was completed in 2008 and it has worked perfectly

johanson at my previous house I had the same and it worked. Here it night be a problem to install but you have me thinking.

I would like some mosquito protection near my pool (as the neighbours breeding ground is nearby) in the afternnoons. Would a Dynatrap do any good while the sun is out or does it need to be dark to that the bugs are attracted to the light?

Online it says that these traps emit CO2 so maybe they would attract mosquitoes in the daylight.

Archived