Chapala.com Webboard

Need forensic plumber

Help please. I am installing a solar hot water system in an old house. A plumber installed an on-demand back up system which doesn´t work too well. BUT the worst part is that it only works upstairs. He couldn´t figure out the configuration of the water as it flows through the house. He was able to connect the on-demand system upstairs as it is just outside the existing bathroom. So. . .I need a plumber who can ascertain the inflows and outflows of the water in this old house so the on-demand backup system is installed properly.  Not just your average plumber, I am afraid.  I am in Chapala if that makes a difference (bold added for no reason apparently).  Thanks in advance for any recommendations.  Hoolia

When we had a problem that our plumbers couldn't solve, they brought in Jose Martinez of Chapala ( don't have his number). Our problem had to do with figuring out where the pipes were, and Martinez has a camera on a cable to put down the pipes, so that helped us but isn't right for you. But Martinez was professional and competent, and if I had a difficult problem I'd probably call him.

11 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Jose Martinez is good...however his prices are comparable to Union rates NOB!

No they are not by far. Have used him for all sorts of plumbing and electrical large and small. He merely charges a bit more than most around here and it's worth every centavo extra.

cell#:333-174-1282

3 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Agree. He is very expensive.

Hiring a series of plumbers who try and then fail to fix the problem is expensive too, not to mention aggravating and frustrating. How many plumbers around here have a camera on a cable they can put down the pipes? None that I have used. 

I would phone him and ask if he can do what you want.

Depending on the age of the home, the pipes may be in galvanized steel or copper or pvc. If the first two, it is possible to use a metal detector to perhaps find them. Sure beats the hell out of digging through walls or floors on a wild goose chase.

My house is twenty years old and has the same problem with the logic of the piping (and electrical). Whatever you decide, I hope that you will post your results since others can benefit from your experience.

40 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

His camera is certainly his claim to fame, but 1000 pesos for 30 minutes? As I said, he is very expensive. 

He has never charged me 1000pesos for 30 minutes for anything he has done for me. Perhaps he is merely trying to recoup the cost of a very expensive piece of equipment that nobody else has.I have had no surprises from him and everything always gets fixed. That's his claim to fame,fixing things and bonus he shows up when he says he will unless the previous job takes longer. I use nobody else for plumbing and electrical.

I've had the same problem with Jose--very expensive for what I needed. Twelve years ago, when I was first here in Chula Vista, he redid our entire wiring, and did a great job. But, the last time I called him, he charged a very large amount for a small job. I now use someone more reasonable for simple jobs. I can't blame him for charging high rates if he can get paid that for complicated jobs, but one can use a lest costly skilled plumber/electrician for modest jobs IMO.

Prices may be thought high...but NOB would be double...JUST TO GET A HOUSE CALL FIRST!!!    We had someone 2 yrs ago who had the camera too at our MX condo...and he solved our issues...but we have a manager and she sent him.    From what I see and hear on this conversation....getting the issue resolved is first priority....pay the price...if he can fix that.....its worth the agony you may be going thru.

Let's get back on topic.  Topic is not how expensive one suggested plumber is and how that compares to house calls from plumbers NOB which is completely irrelevant anyway.

If not this plumber, suggest others for the OP to check with.  That is what the OP wants, names of plumbers who might be able to solve his/her problem.

Jose Luis Gonzales- 331-326-4662

Has worked on water system problems at my house. Guarantees work. I can't say how much he charges, as the landlord pays. But he is bilingual, and thorough.

Out of Chapala-Las Redes

• 1 year later...

I have an interior water leak where you can see in the wall by the peeling paint where the pipe is slowly leaking.  Yes a camera is probably needed but Jose Martinez wants 20,000 pesos to use his camera on my system.  Right now I just don't have that kind of money to hand over.  If anyone has a plumber reputable but a little easier on the wallet would be grateful.

Anyone ever think of asking the cost of a basic inspection and then what/if/when something is found, give a quote?

Whatever the prices are that anyone charges, it should be a negotiated bargain. If any tradesperson won't do that, then I'm wary of that person.

Also, trades persons or otherwise, they will continue to charge as much as the traffic will bear, and if/when people stop paying high prices, the prices will go down.

It doesn't take a structural engineer to figure that $500 for an hour is better than $0.00 for that hour.

There are some really piss-poor trades persons  Lakeside and some great ones, but there is usually not just one great one and one totally incompetent one.

The above does not just apply to trades persons, but attorneys, doctors, accountants, etc.

Above FWIW

Chuy Jemenez.  VERY good friend, VERY good plumber, electrician, iron works, everything to do with building a house from raw land.   Honest, hard working.  PM me if you want to know more.  Hes done lots of work for me.  Not just a worker for me but a very dear friend.  Ive recommended him to many.  He has very good reviews on here from people who have used him.

Jemenez Construction

331048 5343

A camera won't help much, unless you are trying to discover a blockage. The right equipment would be a portable ground penetrating radar. This is also used to map out rebar in existing concrete.

search: ground penetrating radar guadalajara

You could buy a used one and find buried treasure to pay for everything

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

A camera won't help much, unless you are trying to discover a blockage. The right equipment would be a portable ground penetrating radar. This is also used to map out rebar in existing concrete.

search: ground penetrating radar guadalajara

You could buy a used one and find buried treasure to pay for everything

I think this plumber has already found his treasure! He'll keep "digging" as long as the customer is willing to pay. 

Archived