Chapala.com Webboard

Store handling discontinued tiles?

Almost never but you never know for sure. Always, always buy extra tiles for the future. I realize this is not your issue but so many of us make the same mistake thinking we can always get more tiles. The tile people make more money making us replace the whole thing.

Great thread.  We have the same problem.  Will try the place in Jocotepec.

Please, a little better description of location.  North or south side of the street?  How close to ruta 15?

Have looked high and low in GDL with no luck.  Was actually thinking about going to Hildalgo to see if someone there could duplicate the tile.

12 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Almost never but you never know for sure. Always, always buy extra tiles for the future. I realize this is not your issue but so many of us make the same mistake thinking we can always get more tiles. The tile people make more money making us replace the whole thing.

Even when you're doing a whole floor job, make sure you get boxes with exactly the same lot number and make sure it's specified if you are placing an order. One lot number can differ from another insignificantly until replacing a single tile then it shows up in the floor as a big red flag.

Always, always (as pappysmarket states) buy extra tiles of the same lot number for the future. It's one of those Murphy's Law scenarios for me.

San Juan Cosala at the ironworker/scrap dealer acros the carretera from Bodega Del Arte.

About 200 yards west of Farmacia Guadalajara on the mountain side. Photo below.

They were tile dealers for many years, and still have all of the old stock stashed in a trailer.

Also, they have buckets/boxes/bins of recycled tile laying all over. I found some pieces of

of a hideous green tile, must have been from the '70's, that matched exactly the tile in our shower.

Bodega Del Arte and the scrap dealer are owned by the same people. 

SANJUAN_CHATARRA.jpg

That's great news for the OP and probably a lot of other folks. It's like hearing that your neighbor just found a bunch of old baseball cards in the basement....

• 4 months later...
On 05/23/2017 at 5:34 PM, puro guero said:

San Juan Cosala at the ironworker/scrap dealer acros the carretera from Bodega Del Arte.

About 200 yards west of Farmacia Guadalajara on the mountain side. Photo below.

They were tile dealers for many years, and still have all of the old stock stashed in a trailer.

Also, they have buckets/boxes/bins of recycled tile laying all over. I found some pieces of

of a hideous green tile, must have been from the '70's, that matched exactly the tile in our shower.

Bodega Del Arte and the scrap dealer are owned by the same people. 

SANJUAN_CHATARRA.jpg

We need extra pieces of tile purchased at Amutio in Ajijic about 5 years ago. They are completely out of it, here and GDL. Any suggestions (other than start all over with new tile) besides the above place as they don't have any of it?

I've had good luck at Casa de los Azulejos in Chapala twice now for my 30 year old floor.  It's on the west side of the Guad highway just at the light where you turn off into Soriana but you hang a left U-turn into their parking lot from the intersection instead.

This place in Guadalajara carries not only new old floor tile, but also spare pieces for your bathroom--when you drop something on your toilet tank top, this is the place to look for a replacement of JUST the tank top, not the whole toilet.  Or when you grab the tile toilet paper holder installed in the wall to get yourself up off the toilet--and the holder snaps in half.  Ahem.  Don't ask me how I know this.  At any rate, I've found just what I've needed here:

http://piezassueltas.com.mx/

Archived