Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Be Aware: Grocery Expiration Dates


MEXLC

Recommended Posts

 

Example:  A large shipment of Ricotta Cheese containers at our (SuperLake) local grocery were on the last date of their expiration. Family member checked every last container to see if there was a later date.   We have a large volume of Italian cooking to do, and decided to wait for a fresher batch.  Upon return to the market, we noted:  These items no longer had an expiration date on them. Same brand, same count, but now lacking the printed on the container date.    Be aware when the expiration date is missing on such products.  It is a good thing we noticed, otherwise our cooking projects next week would have been lacking and all ingredients are rather costly for that mishap to occur.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, one must be extra careful here. Just yesterday I was in a nice store, Ley's, which is a huge chain on the West Coast of Mexico, PV being the most southern location. I checked the egg carton as I have always done everywhere for cracked eggs but there was a first yesterday.  Only 11 eggs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MEXLC said:

 

Example:  A large shipment of Ricotta Cheese containers at our (SuperLake) local grocery were on the last date of their expiration. Family member checked every last container to see if there was a later date.   We have a large volume of Italian cooking to do, and decided to wait for a fresher batch.  Upon return to the market, we noted:  These items no longer had an expiration date on them. Same brand, same count, but now lacking the printed on the container date.    Be aware when the expiration date is missing on such products.  It is a good thing we noticed, otherwise our cooking projects next week would have been lacking and all ingredients are rather costly for that mishap to occur.

Super Lake does this often.. if dairy products have no date it is removed.  I would hesitate buying the product.  Getting sick is not worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We cook a variety of Italian (Manicotti & Lasagna) putting away the bulk in the freezer, much would have been wasted ($/energy).  By luck we were following the expiration date, waiting for that new batch to appear.  Otherwise, we never would have known the old date had been removed.  No way to do business, especially with dairy products!  

We've made a habit of going into Costco, and now we will add Mega/Surrounding stores to that trip, as the specialty items we seek are expensive and their integrity cannot be compromised.  

My suspicions are confirmed.  Product expiry dates are removed at SuperLake.   Just be aware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't buy dairy products from SL anymore.  My milk was expiring (spoiled smell) at or before the expiration date.  They shut off their coolers at night.  I buy milk, etc. at OXXO where they are open 24 hr. and keep their chillers on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Yo1 said:

I don't buy dairy products from SL anymore.  My milk was expiring (spoiled smell) at or before the expiration date.  They shut off their coolers at night.  I buy milk, etc. at OXXO where they are open 24 hr. and keep their chillers on. 

"They shut off their coolers at night." I keep hearing this claim. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the truth of this statement?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They do NOT shut off their coolers at night.Some of us know Pancho and the family quite well, and he is no bonehead.YES, there have been occasions when the power went off, or they had to re-inventory everything in the freezers, and he is not shy about trying to squeeze every last drop out of his goods, which can border on the "too close for comfort". But he couldn't possibly shut off the dairy coolers and expect to find anything sellable. Anything that is going bad before its date is a problem with the supplier, not SuperLake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Removing expiration dates from expired products, just isn't a good practice. We pay a premium price to shop at SuperLake and are counting on the owners.

It does not build trust or clientele.  Maybe ComputerGuy can speak with the owners as he knows them well?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found many items there with expired dates and sometimes no dates. I recently found a container of parmesan cheese at Sam's (in a different part of Mexico) that was very close to its expiration date. No way we could use all that cheese in a week. Always check.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The truth is that the Super Lake purchase products from manufactures in the United States when the products area close to the expiration date at a very reduced price.  These products area then put on SL shelves at a VERY much higher price and sold to person who think how wonderful it is to get the same products here that you an buy in the US..AND if you know how to make a deal you an make a deal!!  Super Lake is here to make Money period.  Just because certain people who work there have endeared themselves to other gringos. Just because some of us know Pancho and his family quite well changes nothing about how they operate their store.. Been here 24 years that type thinking just wont fly any more than thinking the Transitos pass out Christmas gifts each year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MEXLC said:

Removing expiration dates from expired products, just isn't a good practice. We pay a premium price to shop at SuperLake and are counting on the owners. It does not build trust or clientele.  Maybe ComputerGuy can speak with the owners as he knows them well?

Right, like he's going to listen to me on how to run his business... just learn that one has to be careful at SuperLake. After that, it's a piece of cake. I've gotten some amazing deals on "end of date" products that were perfectly fine. I also count on the knowledge that I can get items like tapioca starch for my Asian cooking...

As for those of us who find all this upsetting, well of course no one said we have to shop there.

As to the implication that they leave their fresh stuff on the floor too long, I recommend you go to WalMart any time and check out their aisles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bigd said:

The truth is that the Super Lake purchase products from manufactures in the United States when the products area close to the expiration date at a very reduced price.  These products area then put on SL shelves at a VERY much higher price and sold to person who think how wonderful it is to get the same products here that you an buy in the US..AND if you know how to make a deal you an make a deal!!  Super Lake is here to make Money period.  Just because certain people who work there have endeared themselves to other gringos. Just because some of us know Pancho and his family quite well changes nothing about how they operate their store.. Been here 24 years that type thinking just wont fly any more than thinking the Transitos pass out Christmas gifts each year.

Hands down untrue. As usual, I urge those who are interested to read chapter 56 of Judy King's impressive Living at Lake Chapala, called Importing What You Want, to uncover the reality of what it costs to stock the shelves at SuperLake, and the amount of effort required on the part of many, many people. Further, yes, he does get great deals on near-expiry products, and expats here actively seek out those deals and clean out the shelves in usually record time. In fact, we haven't had enough lately; I want more.

I think the implication that because some Mexican business people have become friends with some expats is a problem of some sort, and makes us what... less than aware?... is an unhappy thought. I am so far from being a "buddy" of Pancho it's ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In fact, a few points from the chapter might be enlightening. To bring goods in, here's a condensed list:

Buyers and sources (suppliers, distributors, manufacturers, wholesalers and retail stores

Consolidator; importer (four or five different companies); U.S. customs broker; Mexican customs broker; insurance agents; trucking firms. Warehousers and staff. Inspectors. Translators and labellers. Not to mention the local family-owned producers. And just the list of taxes and types of taxes would break the average guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SL changed over the years. it used to be 5 star. now he puts out rotting vegs. orders brocolli for the US which arrives yellow. grapes which looked wonderful smelled mildew. if dates are erased hes as bad as walmart. i spend 1/2 of what i used too there. i rarely buy imported products from SL. he once gave me 1/2 off on ricecakes (it was almost expired) but those can stay a while. he does have a good section for rice nuts & beans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Less than a week ago I picked up two containers of ice cream there. Frozen solid. Got home and found they had melted and been refrozen. Ice crystals half way down in both containers. From now on it is WalMart for my ice cream as they carry the same brand and many more and I have never had this problem there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, betty7 said:

SL changed over the years. it used to be 5 star. now he puts out rotting vegs. orders brocolli for the US which arrives yellow. grapes which looked wonderful smelled mildew. if dates are erased hes as bad as walmart. i spend 1/2 of what i used too there. i rarely buy imported products from SL. he once gave me 1/2 off on ricecakes (it was almost expired) but those can stay a while. he does have a good section for rice nuts & beans.

I do not recognize the store Betty is describing. If it actually was like that he would not be doing the business he does. People are not shopping there and buying rotting vegetables, yellowed broccoli, and mildewed grapes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe others have more luck than me.... but check the dates on the anti flea products (like Frontline plus) for our pets.  I have talked to some local (Chapala) vets about this.  Many times they were produced 3 years ago and right before, or even after expiry date, they end up at the vet s office.  The price surely doesnt expire.  I ask the vets, where they have been hiding it for 3 years.

At OXO I found a whole bunch of Pedigree dental sticks that expired 2 years ago (2015).  You could have built a clean teeth house with them and the house would last for ages.

Once, I was bravely going to experiment with pretzels and chocolate (superlake pretzels).  A whole lot of them sitting on the shelves.... expired. If you noticed some pretzels cheerfully crossing the carretera, those were the ones. No price discount.

I found expired soft drinks at OXO too.

I dont make a big fuss about it all.  I simply take it all out of the fridge or from the shelves, carry it to the cashier and tell them with a big smile "caducado".  Usually, I get no response, certainly no apologies and they might even put it back on the shelves afterwards. I dont care what they think, because before all, before being a gringo, a Belgian or whatever, I am a customer. ....  until I expire myself, who knows when, but in no rush.

Rony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Xena said:

Wondering if all the dates being discussed are "expiration" dates. There are also "best if used by" dates, and "sell by" dates. They all have different meanings.

Fecha de caducidad ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

xena most customers @ SL shop for imported products- mostly packed goods, cans. i see the carts. ALL my produce is from small mex stores. i buy potatoes or carrots maybe alvacados @ SL. that depends upon the day i go. he puts out his american sweet patatoes every week but they come in once a month. so mushy most of the time. rice beans nuts coffee yogart (when its new), ok. rarely produce. been that way for over a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...