Chapala.com Webboard

Bus

Going to be living in Las Brisas .Would like to know about the bus service in Chapala?

Yes, I know having our own car is best, we will be doing that sooner than later. I know about getting a driver, we already have a very nice man. 

I , specifically, am asking about bus service.

I know locals ride the bus and it might not be up to some of your standards, 

I am just asking about the public transportation,in regards to the local bus service. 

Do they have routes they follow and things like that? 

Thank you. 

Denise, a lot of us ride the bus from time to time or all the time.  I can't tell you if there is a schedule and route map but the way we learned was by just getting on and asking the driver in our broken Spanish if he can stop at such and such.  Some of the buses (the smaller ones go down into the villages.  Others just go back and forth on the Carretera between Jocotepec and Chapala.  We usually get off the bus on the Carretera and then walk down into the village where ever we want to go.

You will get more information on this board than you necessarily want but if you are not so hostile sounding you will be able to scroll past the answers that don't really answer your particular question and find the ones that do.   

1 hour ago, Xena said:

"... and it might not be up to some of your standards,"

Why do you say that? 

Because someone will say that and she is not interested. She wants direct answers, not personal comments.She only wants responses from those who ride the bus. You and I have not responded to her question. Plain and simple. :(

everyone talks but no one gave her the answer. she wants to know the service from "las brisa's". can anyone help? i only know the service from the mainstreet madero. so i wont yapperyap. no, not all the busses are up to my standards either, & denise is not hostile.

I'm not exactly sure where you will be living but this may help generally:

The long buses run the carretera depending on the route from Chapala to Joco (says PLUS).  The others run from Chapala to the west end of Ajijic.  The short buses go down on the lake side through the neighborhoods.  There are also Directo buses that direct run into Guad both from Chapala and Joco/Ajijic.  

As far as I know, no bus goes through the neighborhoods north of the Carretera.  

Buses run generally from just before dawn until just after dark.  Sometimes later if there is a fiesta going on.

Getting on a bus during rush hour can be difficult since they fill up fast.  Otherwise, not much problem

5 hours ago, Xena said:

"... and it might not be up to some of your standards,"

Why do you say that? 

Because a lot of times people say, I wouldn't do it or take because it's dirty or this and that, I just did not want to hear what they would not do based on their acceptability level. 

4 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

Because someone will say that and she is not interested. She wants direct answers, not personal comments.She only wants responses from those who ride the bus. You and I have not responded to her question. Plain and simple. :(

Thank you. 

I take the bus a lot, I enjoy the local color, sometimes there are musicians and singer performing for tips, Also when school gets out bus is jammed with students and most talk to me as they want to practice their English, I have also some times just ridden the buses on their whole route to see what new is going on along the way....

9 hours ago, Denise said:

Because a lot of times people say, I wouldn't do it or take because it's dirty or this and that, I just did not want to hear what they would not do based on their acceptability level. 

That meaning was not clear to me. Thank you for the clarification. 

I ride the buses all the time, and find them to be very efficient.  Most of the time, there's no problem getting a seat, except when the children are going to or coming home from school.  Then it's usually SRO.  There are three different types.  There is the Directo bus which runs along the carreterra from Jocotopec to the Libramiento, where it turns up and heads into Guadalajara, and vice versa.  The Directo bus runs once a hour, usually going through Ajijic Centro on the half-hour (10:30, 11:30, etc).  Then there's the carreterra bus which runs from Joco to Chapala and back.  Then there's the 'chicken bus', which is the smaller bus that runs along the carreterra, and dips down running through the village in Ajijic and San Antonio.  The carreterra bus and the chicken bus go by about every 15 minutes.

They're all very convenient, and it's a very inexpensive way to get around.

In my limited experience with buses, I have found that each has it's route, but several take the same route. The two ways I have found were to (1) ride a few to see their route, and (2) I always ask the driver if he goes to the location that I want to get off. I find the second way my best bet.

some of the small busses have 40 yr fabric on the seats filthy w/broken windows not washed for years. packed w/screaming children especially when they come back from school. food smelling as they bring takeouts on the bus. dirty mops/pails near the entrance. screaming singers w/instruments. a horror, but you decide. i walk instead. the larger busses are better. some small busses have been updated w/plastic seats which are more sanitary than the fabric. just saying. denise can make her own decisions. she will know when to use her driver.

Using the bus from Las Brisas is not very workable.  I know this from personal experience

You'd need first to get down to the Libramiento (highway) from wherever your house is  in Brisas and then try to flag down the "Directo"bus when you see one coming. These Directos are not the local buses you use to easily get around Lakeside between Joco & Chapala and  which I find very convenient, cheap & entertaining .  Once out of town and on the Libramieno  (highway) , where Las Brisas is located , these larger buses FLY !! down the highway and don't want to stop.  I don't know exactly their frequency but you can wait forever for a bus & then it won't stop.  Or maybe it will .  Once out of town Directos are what the name says direct/non-stops to Guadalajara . 

5 hours ago, court0503 said:

Using the bus from Las Brisas is not very workable.  I know this from personal experience

You'd need first to get down to the Libramiento (highway) from wherever your house is  in Brisas and then try to flag down the "Directo"bus when you see one coming. These Directos are not the local buses you use to easily get around Lakeside between Joco & Chapala and  which I find very convenient, cheap & entertaining .  Once out of town and on the Libramieno  (highway) , where Las Brisas is located , these larger buses FLY !! down the highway and don't want to stop.  I don't know exactly their frequency but you can wait forever for a bus & then it won't stop.  Or maybe it will .  Once out of town Directos are what the name says direct/non-stops to Guadalajara . 

So no buses into Chapala. 

2 hours ago, Denise said:

So no buses into Chapala. 

Here is the summary;

+ There is no bus service 'up into/out of Brisas proper'. Pretty long walk out of/into the community from the highway (where the buses run) especially if your casa is 1/2 mile into the neighborhood. AND it is a very hilly walk into.

+ Leaving from Brisas: you will be lucky IF a bus, coming down the highway from Guadalajara heading to Chapala, will actually stop for you on the highway. Some might, many won't.

+ Returning to Brisas: you can probably catch a bus fairly easily in Chapala heading north to Guadalajara and it will stop to let you out on the highway close to the entrance to Brisas. Then begins the climb home.

Depending on one's age and condition and fortitude, I just don't see how one could live in Brisas without a vehicle UNLESS they were happy staying home most of the time and only occasionally 'going to town'.  

Those buses are “directo“ to Guadalajara via the libramiento, and are not supposed to stop for individuals at roadside.  If you live in Brisas de Chapala, or Chapala Haciendas, you will be very car-dependent for every little thing.

Ok, this is what I do not understand, on Mexpat life  Lake Chapala Facebook I have had several people say the direct opposite. They said that there is a bus every half hour, not the directo, that stops at Chapala Haciendas.

So I am so confused, but thank you for all of your input.

Archived