Chapala.com Webboard

Cheap way to get prescription refill written in Ajijic?

My prescription Ambien ran out and I need a refill. Is there a cheaper way to get a refill besides going to Ajijic  600 pesos clinic or Maskaras 700 pesos clinic?

In Oaxaca the farmacias all had a prescription writing doctor's office attached, 150 peso visit.

I see there is a Medico's clinic adjacent to Farmacia Guadalajara. Will that work, or is that just for non prescription stuff like blood pressure check?

7 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

My prescription Ambien ran out and I need a refill. Is there a cheaper way to get a refill besides going to Ajijic  600 pesos clinic or Maskaras 700 pesos clinic?

In Oaxaca the farmacias all had a prescription writing doctor's office attached, 150 peso visit.

I see there is a Medico's clinic adjacent to Farmacia Guadalajara. Will that work, or is that just for non prescription stuff like blood pressure check?

There is a little pharmacia on Hildago in Ajijic. It is just east of the big church on the lake side. The owner is a doctor and is there in the mornings. He will write you an Rx for 150p. Ask him to write it for Zolpidem which is the generic for Ambien. You can have it filled at any pharmacy including Pharmacia Smilaries which carries a lot of generics. It is in the mountain side of the Careterra 

15 minutes ago, Joyfull said:

There is a little pharmacia on Hildago in Ajijic. It is just east of the big church on the lake side. The owner is a doctor and is there in the mornings. He will write you an Rx for 150p. Ask him to write it for Zolpidem which is the generic for Ambien. You can have it filled at any pharmacy including Pharmacia Smilaries which carries a lot of generics. It is in the mountain side of the Careterra 

Thanks a bunch. BTW I had no idea there is a FarmaciadeSimilares here. I much prefer them to Farmacia Guadalajara.

There is a Dr. just to the right of Farmacia Guad. entrance (same building)..she will charge a small fee for her service (she will give you a bill that you take to the cashier in the pharmacy, you pay and get a paid receipt and return to the Dr.'s office and she will write you a script for your med). Take it to the back of the store and they will fill it there..

8 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

The doctor with Dr. Simi pharmacy will write for about 25 pesos.

Yes and if it's the same Dr. he is very nice. It's been a few years so didn't want to recommend someone no longer there.

3 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

For tranquilzers and sleep aids you buy them over the counter. No need for a prescription in Mexico.

That used to be the case, but in general all controlled drugs now need an RX.  This includes Valium, Ativan, xanax, ambien and the rest (and their generic equivalents).  In fact several doctor friends say the oversight agency comes to their clinics, and then crosscheck with the pharmacies.  Labor intensive.  Of course there are ways around, that are still legal, as above.  And I'm sure pharmacies around that will even sell without a prescription.

13 hours ago, betty7 said:

guad pharm looks @ your ID when you get xanex. is there a generic for that?

It's been out in generic for years:  alprazolam.

I use the consultorio associated with Farmacia Benevides in Chapala adjacent to Soriana on the west side for meds requiring scripts lke antibiotics.  Visit is $40 collected in the pharmacy and you can take the script anywhere but I usually get it filled there, prices have always seemed reasonable and comparable to the little farmacias.

Ajijic, north side of crrt., east of Colon.

(Last time I was there)

The pharmacy that is right outside the entrance to Soriana's will write you a prescription for 50-100 pesos.

There is a doctors' office there.

On 5/21/2017 at 6:14 PM, Tomas said:

There is a Dr. just to the right of Farmacia Guad. entrance (same building)..she will charge a small fee for her service (she will give you a bill that you take to the cashier in the pharmacy, you pay and get a paid receipt and return to the Dr.'s office and she will write you a script for your med). Take it to the back of the store and they will fill it there..

She wrote a prescription for my grandson and charged 30 pesos.

Archived