Chapala.com Webboard

dowel rods

Where can I buy dowel rods Lakeside? I'm looking for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch which are usually sold on 3' lengths. I have tried a number of hardware stores and material supply houses locally to no avail. I want to avoid a trip to home depot if I can.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, RVGRINGO said:

There is a lumber yard on the highway lateral, opposite Soriana.

OP, this is called Real Ortega.

I've lived in Mexico for 20 years and I'm a woodworker. I have never found decent dowels during this time. You might find some rough 3/8" pine dowels or use broom sticks for approx. 3/4" dowels but not in the other dimensions found in the US. Good dowels are usually made of birch or maple. I bring back good dowels from the States or make my own.

5 hours ago, kmetzger said:

I've lived in Mexico for 20 years and I'm a woodworker. I have never found decent dowels during this time. You might find some rough 3/8" pine dowels or use broom sticks for approx. 3/4" dowels but not in the other dimensions found in the US. Good dowels are usually made of birch or maple. I bring back good dowels from the States or make my own.

No place in Guad you know of? 

The best I`ve found in our area is at Real Ortega - they sometimes have 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1-3/8"  in 3 meter lengths but only in pine, never a hardwood as Ken says.  If you see some clean straight smooth ones, buy 'em 'cause you may not see them again for a good long while. They`re up in front on the left hand side as you come in after the show room and just before you get into the main wood area. They`re in a rack lying horizontally.

Anyone want to go in on a dowel-making machine?

I was also on the market for dowel rods -  ended up buying broomsticks (and no, I am not a witch) at the hardware store on the north side of the Carretera across the road from and slightly east of Farmacia Guadalajara. 

Archived