Chapala.com Webboard

Fewer taxis, crowded buses

We've lived at Lakeside full-time for a cumulative 3 years+ starting in 2009 but have been living mostly N.O.B. and just visiting seasonally in recent years. Moved back for good in April and even since last summer have been noticing a serious scarcity of taxis and buses almost invariably standing room only. 

We're in Chapala now and there are never any taxis at the sitio here, and when one calls (either Chapala or Ajijic) more often than not the phone just rings off the hook. As for buses we know to expect crowding at peak times such as Mexican comida hours but I'd say at least 70% of the five or six dozen bus trips we've taken lately, mostly at off-peak hours, have been SRO. Looks like the days of being able to get by without a car at Lakeside are coming to an end. 

At first I wondered if Uber was responsible for the taxi shortage but I guess they're only in Guadalajara. Anyone else have thoughts?

its off season now. the taxies usually service expats (in ajijic they do). as for busses it depends where you get on. anywhere in chapala seems ok w/me. busses are scarce sometimes between 1pm & 3pm. i dont take them very often, i usually walk. for taxies, you need cell phone numbers for drivers. have maybe 2 or 3 who will pick you up @ home.

Taxis....I'm in Ajijic and I see them regularly.  The other day I tried to help a disabled man hail a cab on the carretera near Gossips and every one that went by for about 5 minutes or so, already had fares.  But plenty of them were going by.  

Maybe it's just too darn hot to walk and more people are using taxis and buses???   I'm not walking nearly as far as I do in other months.  

4 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Taxis....I'm in Ajijic and I see them regularly.  The other day I tried to help a disabled man hail a cab on the carretera near Gossips and every one that went by for about 5 minutes or so, already had fares.  But plenty of them were going by.  

Maybe it's just too darn hot to walk and more people are using taxis and buses???   I'm not walking nearly as far as I do in other months.  

You don't hail taxis here like in big cities. Even in Guad you call the taxi stand (sitio) or go to the taxi stand and get a cab that way. The taxis don't ride around town looking for fares as in other places. 

I agree that there are fewer buses.  I had not ridden for about 5 mos, and noticed that I was waiting longer, and the buses were more crowded. I've now taken to asking Mexicans at the various bus stops, and they always reply. "Si, pocos camiones."  (Yes, fewer buses).  I think perhaps it's a response to higher gas prices.  Rather than raising bus fares and listening to all the protests, they just cut back on service.  Taxis, on the other hand, seem to be plentiful in Ajijic and San Antonio and often looking for a fare, but the gouge-the-Gringo mindset usually turns me off.

I agree with the above post. I stopped taking taxis years ago, I just got tired of being gouged. When I returned this past February I also noticed fewer buses and SRO. I do not have a car and have ridden buses for the past 11 years. A couple times the bus flew past me as if was filled to the gills. Another time I had to hop on at the back door and pass my money up to the driver. But, I am never in a hurry and just go with the flow. Why get upset, life is too short (and getting shorter). But my pet peeve is the people who come running up to the bus and crowd ahead of others waiting to board, always a woman just elbowing their way past everyone. The other day I thought this guy was going to smack a young woman, on her phone yakking away, come running over and just pushed her way onto the bus. He was with his wife who carried a baby but she stopped him from doing anything. This could have been another video moment for Facebook...........

Archived