Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw upgrade

cedros

I'm getting messages from Shaw saying that I need new equipment. HD upgrade. What is this all about? I have two receivers one of which is HD. It doesn't matter to me if it is HD or not as I can't tell the difference?

Are they just trying to make some sales or is there something else?

Between last April and mid year 2020 Shaw Direct is slowly moving its programming from the two older satellites Anik F1R and Anik F 2 to a newer satellite Anik G1. They will also be upgrading the compression methods to MPEG 4.  The problem for those of us in Mexico is that the footprint from this newer satellite does not reach Mexico, So as was explained to me, we are slowly loosing all of our Shaw Direct Channels,

Now for those of us who also live up north, we will need a new LNB to receive the signals from this newer bird and receivers that will receive MPEG 4. I think the 600 series receivers do.

For those of you who are not sharing and are in Canada, you can call 1-866-782-7312 and/or visit shawdirect.ca/hdupgrade for more information.  This information came from a letter I got here up North.

Pete...are you saying Shaw does the upgrade up north physically coming to your home? Obviously this doesn't work outside of Canada. Will we be loosing Shaw completely here in Mexico? If so let's hope we get faster internet so we can stream our TV shows

I would hate to lose Shaw as I love it especially with the receiver that records two channels at once. It is getting very expensive though-over $120 a month. Maybe streaming will be the answer but will you get channels live TVO, the Knowledge Network and PBS?

Sadly I am saying that all of the signals from the two older satellites that one can receive in all of Mexico and much of Central America are being moved to a newer satellite Anik G1 which sadly has it's signals better centered on Canada. Sure the signals bleed over the Canadian border, in fact with a larger satellite dish the signals will reach northern California, but certainly not as far south as Mexico. This satellite is already in operation, so it is a known fact that the signals wont reach Mexico.

I will miss Shaw Direct; it has been broadcasting signals to Mexico since 2 AM Feb 21, 2001 when Anik F1 went active;

Sadly I wont be able to stream many of those stations I love.

This article says "Shaw Broadcast/Shaw Direct will be transitioning all signals on Anik F1R and Anik F2 to MPEG-4 beginning spring 2017. The transition will occur in three phases with the final phase being completed by September 2019." So that seems to say that receivers below the 6xx series will no longer work as they can't handle MPEG-4. This particular link doesn't mention moving all channels from the two Anik F satellites to G1.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/258554-shaw-direct-transition-full-mpeg-4-a.html

This next link from Shaw talks about the transition to MPEG-4 but does not say anything about moving all channels to G1.

http://www.shawbroadcast.com/Content/US/mpeg4.htm

And finally I found this in a Shaw technical forum - a long thread but go to Page 76 - Post #1133. "You can read about Shaw's plans at This Link. As I study the spreadsheets they present, it appears that, by 2019, all the present SD Channels on F1R/F2 will become HD, and the SD versions will go away. It seems that the transition is planned such that no channels will be lost as the plan unfolds, and in the end, no channels currently on those two satellites will be moved to G1. So we should be good for receiving a signal until such time as F1R and F2 end their usable life......provided you have a 600 series receiver. In fact, if I understand the plan correctly, certain channels now coming from G1 will eventually be moved to F1R/F2,"

But a couple of messages down someone says everything is moving to G1. Most of what I have read is about moving to HD and MPEG-4 rather than moving everything off of Anik F1  F2 to G1. So who knows but looks to me like we are going to be okay as long as we have series 6xx receivers, I guess time will tell.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/62645-shaw-direct-areas-south-canada-mexico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-76.html

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/support/article/8436/

The MPEG-4 HD network upgrade is designed to be as gradual as possible. The conversion schedule article outlines when each channel will be upgraded.

When an HD channel is upgraded, the SD version may still be available in MPEG-2, so you won't be without your channels until you have upgraded to an MPEG-4 compatible receiver.

Once a channel has been upgraded to MPEG-4, the channel can only be viewed on an MPEG-4 compatible satellite receiver. You will see a message in your Guide indicating that particular channel has been upgraded, and a blank screen if you tune to that channel's MPEG-4 feed from an MPEG-2 receiver.

If you already have an MPEG-4 compatible satellite receiver (compatible models are listed above), you won’t experience any impact or notice any difference when a channel is upgraded from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.

But the big question is, is it true as has been suggested that the MPEG-4 channels will only be placed on the replacement satellite, Anik G-1 which we can not pick up in Mexico. Remember that the average life of a satellite is about 15 years (I read that somewhere) and by 2020 Anik F1R and Anik F2 will be over 15 years old while Anik G1 went active in 2013 and will be only 7 years old.

Yes Pete and I have no dog in the fight. It seems to me that Shaw is telling people they will not notice any difference if they have upgraded. Implicit is the assumption that the hardware is in Canada not somewhere that it's not supposed to be.

• Like 3

I think that is the "kicker". Shaw is talking about CANADA and not about any service in Mexico. They are NOT concerned about their signal being available in Mexico, just to their "Canadian" customers. I think Pete tells it "like it is". I will plan accordingly.

• Like 2

I remember many years ago that Mexico was complaining to Canada about their signal bleeding over and stealing business from SKY. I assume Canada said sorry, we didn't mean to and we'll fix it next time. Perhaps next time is coming.

• Like 1

On a related note & FYI, Shaw is no longer activating anything other than 600 series receivers, (currently 600 HD and 630 HD PVR) so those looking on the resale market - be aware.....

• 1 year later...

this is just some information of rummers of loosing shaw this year here is what I found

Early in 2013, Shaw Direct launched their much anticipated G1 Satellite. Now fully operational, High Definition Local programming is now available throughout most of Canada. Unfortunately for anyone south of the Canadian border will not receive this Satellite. It most certainly will not reach Mexico. Shaw has already placed most of the Local HD programming on it and a number of NEW HD channels as well. Unfortunately we will not be able to receive any programming off this Satellite. We are still able to receive signal form their existing Satellites, F1 and F2. This is not expected to change until they are replaced. Since these Satellites have an average lifespan of 15 years, we should be okay for another 5 or 6 years. I do know that they have an interest in keeping some coverage for Mexico, so they may always have some channels available here, but this is just an educated guess based on my conversations with several Shaw Representatives that we work under. As to which channels will be moved to the new G1 Satellite, they have not made this knowledge public. We could lose some channels and gain others, there really is no telling. The reality is that we expect Shaw to continue working here in Mexico for the next 5 or 6 years. We just don't know for sure what channels we will get.

On 28 March 2019 glws7777 said:
" . . . I do know that they have an interest in keeping some coverage for Mexico, so they may always have some channels available here, but this is just an educated guess based on my conversations with several Shaw Representatives that we work under . . ."

I am curious -- how in the world can Shaw Communications "have an interest in keeping some coverage for Mexico" when the terms of their service agreement state the following?

Restrictions. You acknowledge and agree that:
(a) the services will only be provided to you in Canada;
(b) the service address associated with your account is located in Canada;
(c) . . .

Edited by Brian Dalziel
fix a typo
  • Like 1

Because thousands of people outside Canada pay a monthly bill to receive it, wherever they happen to be, at a cost of up to and beyone $165 CDN per month. When you know that fact, the answer becomes apparent.

I open my eyes just a little bit, and I see Monsanto and Bayer still insisting that Roundup doesn't cause harm to anybody, while this very day a man was awarded $80 million in his cancer case against them. And of course no corporation does anything they shouldn't.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/27/707439575/jury-awards-80-million-in-damages-in-roundup-weed-killer-cancer-trial

• 7 months later...

Remember that there are three satellites used by Shaw Direct. Using the 75E Shaw Direct satellite dish, you can get signals from all three satellites as far south as perhaps the central US. However only two of the three have strong enough signals to cover all of the US and much if not all of Mexico and perhaps as south as parts of Central America, using a larger satellite dish than the 75E.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

We have a Shaw dish on our RV, which, as of this date, works in Canada, although we lost the automatic signal locking recently & have to align it manually.

The question is, will we be able to pick up Shaw in the Southern US (Arizona) this winter?

To boil down what Peter described, YES.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:40 AM, Danny said:

The question is, will we be able to pick up Shaw in the Southern US (Arizona) this winter?

Have you looked at a map to see the distance between Arizona & Lake Chapala? +/- 1200 MILES   Would have made more sense to ask someone who lives in the area  you are planning to be in.
Doing an internet search of shaw direct satellite footprint would give you information.  https://www.global-cm.net/SD sat coverage.html