Chapala.com Webboard

Best avocado variety to grow here

In the past I have planted 3 avocados trees here and all died. My soil has a lot of clay and I think my gardener over watered them. I have a new hole with better soil and I would like to plant an avocado in it that does well here. Do some varrietes do better than others here?

Purchase an well-established sapling from any of the local nursery locations or even the fellow out by the topes and the old federale installation.  The bigger the better.  Grow it in a big pot for a year then dig a hole twice the size of the pot and back fill it with great soil and put the entire plug of earth containing the tree into the hole.

19 hours ago, cedros said:

Why would you grow it in a pot first?

You want to keep the roots confined in the pot so the trunk and top establish themselves well.  Once your baby tree is potbound, plant it in the ground.

You asked about varieties.  Buy a Hass. 

Since moving from Chapala, one of the things we miss the most is the huge Haas Avacado tree in our back yard.  We loved them, the dogs loved them, the night critters loved them and so did our neighbors.  In season, it would “rain“ large avocados every night. In the USA, we cannot afford them and they are tiny.

I grew an avocado from seed in a pot (no need to suspend it in water with toothpicks, like we are sometimes told to do, just stick the pit in the soil and water), then transplanted it after about 3 years. It is big now after 10 years, but unfortunately hasn't produced yet. Maybe this year, I hope.

Archived