Chapala.com Webboard

Abandoned mail

Two days ago someone from Aduana came by with documents to sign. The title of the document is Notification of Abandonment. My understanding is Aduana has a lost package for me. Almost exactly a year ago I mailed a package to a US address that never arrived. I assume this is the package referred to. I was told it was important for me to call a phone number at the Guadalajara airport before doing anything else. For two days I have dialed the two numbers off and on all day long, but it's always busy. Has anyone else dealt with an abandoned package and would anyone know if I could still just show up at the airport with my document without calling first?

I'd probably just go out there and find out. As I recollect, as you are entering the airport drive, turn left at the OXXO and follow the signs.

Abandoned means they are taking it.

Why do people sign for things at their door.  Had a friend do this a few years ago from the Chapala Muncipality who showed up and said sign this.  He thought it looked official and it had red numbers in the upper righthand corner.  He signed.  It was to his address after all.  But he doesn't read Spanish, can't speak or understand more than enough to get into trouble with it.  What he signed was a tax authority document making him responsible for the taxes on  a property on the west leg of his street and not his east leg number.  And yes, he had to pay it. 

You assume this is a package you were missing, what if it was something else entirely.  Only thing we sign for here is the DHL and mail delivery and even then I open the package in front of them before I sign.

Archived