Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic looks like Rome Italy as garbage piles up

The good news is that with the hellscape Ajijic appears to have become fewer and fewer foreigners will want to live there. Property values will plummet, rental costs will drop to realistic levels as some other place will become the foreigners' darling. A lot of Mexicans will breathe a sigh of relief.

22 minutes ago, Xena said:

The good news is that with the hellscape Ajijic appears to have become fewer and fewer foreigners will want to live there. Property values will plummet, rental costs will drop to realistic levels as some other place will become the foreigners' darling. A lot of Mexicans will breathe a sigh of relief.

And a lot of Mexicans will be out of work.  Forgot about that part, eh?

I've yet to meet any Mexicans who suffer from the illusions about this government that some here do but OTOH I don't know any of them who are on the municipal feed bag either.  The ones I do know make my criticisms seem rather tame by comparison.

handing a bag to garbage to the truck @ 7am is not my idea of a retirement fantacy. cant wrap my mind around choosing that lifestyle. seems like ajijic is turning into a barrio no matter how much the taxes have been raised. floresta had pickup 2 days a week.  it was put out every day regardless. this was a private company run by the frac. i paid property taxes & frac dues. should have been 3 xs a week. considering that on weekends/holidays visiters would drive thru & leave thier garbage as well. 

49 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

And a lot of Mexicans will be out of work.  Forgot about that part, eh?

I've yet to meet any Mexicans who suffer from the illusions about this government that some here do but OTOH I don't know any of them who are on the municipal feed bag either.  The ones I do know make my criticisms seem rather tame by comparison.

No. I did not forget about that part. Mexicans got along without the glut of foreigners before and they will get along after the whiners and complainers are gone. There will never be NO foreigners living there. It may be a smaller cohort but will have more people who fit in and are happy to live life in a real Mexican village. The Mexicans might appreciate being real people living in a real village instead of being extras in some foreigners' Disneyland version of Mexico. I do not subscribe to the colonialist belief that the "poor Mexicans" need us and we could make their lives so much better if they would just do things our way. This is, of course, just my personal opinion. 

some mexicans wont care if all the foreigners leave. those are the ones who have their small businesses. i  never see an expat in the grocery, little paper & kitchen supply places. the others who clean for expats are out of luck. (some get paid as much as 60 pesos an hour plus bus fare, walmart is not offering this). same w/gardeners, waiters in restuarants who cater to the old folks will lose jobs. taxie drivers would not be happy either. many of these workers are too young to remember when there was only several 100 or in the low 1000's of a expat population. i would like to see most the elder retirees leave. less people on the streets in high season.  then again, many foreigners dont care about the trash. btw, mexicans do care.

The vacant lot across from where I live has become a dump, literally. It is not the fault of the people, it is the dogs, ripping bags open and dragging contents across the vacant lot. 

For those neighborhoods that have  corner pickup only, a solution would be to provide a dumpster every block or so. Then the city can purchase a truck that has an "arm" that lifts the dumpster into the back of the truck.

No the solution is not to put garbage out until the truck sounds the bell.. it is done that way in many cities that are clean, Do not blame the dogs , the people are the ones leaving garbage overnight and in places where dogs can reach it. If the dogs do not do it the rats can.. Garbage should not be left unattended on the streets , it is that simple.

3 minutes ago, bmh said:

No the solution is not to put garbage out until the truck sounds the bell.. it is done that way in many cities that are clean, Do not blame the dogs , the people are the ones leaving garbage overnight and in places where dogs can reach it. If the dogs do not do it the rats can.. Garbage should not be left unattended on the streets , it is that simple.

How does one put it out at the bell, when kids are in school and the only adult living there is at work. or both are at work? No one can be home at that time.

5 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

How does one put it out at the bell, when kids are in school and the only adult living there is at work. or both are at work? No one can be home at that time.

Exactly. Like I said before the rules about garbage have been actually put in print many times and one of them is that you don't put your garbage out over night. In my neighbourhood it's not until after 4:am and the same for my friend who gets 7 day pickup to my 2. The only time that I hear a cowbell is at Xmas for tip which I gladly give to those hardworking guys. Curious to know which neighbourhoods around here have a regular warning bell for pick up.

1 minute ago, Jim Bowie said:

Mexicans in other cities and towns we're been to, manage to handle this.  It seems (??) to be more the norm than the exception in MX.  Here's an old link where people discuss trash collection where they live in MX.   http://www.expatforum.com/expats/mexico-expat-forum-expats-living-mexico/125964-garbage-services-mexico.html

When the rule is observe an underground industry developed, in San Cristobal we have kids from Guatemala that will come by the day before when you are home and deliver the garbage for a couple of pesos.. People manage when they have to manage.

Just now, Ajijic_hiker said:

I know this will be an unpopular comment...but....when I have been in both Merida and SMA, I did not find the trash on the corner a problem there, and I've spent several months in both locations.  What I DID notice, however, was that there were absolutely no stray dogs.  None.  The only dogs I did see were on a leash.   Hanging bags of trash on those handy high pegs IS helpful...but not everyone uses them, and sometimes, the trash bag is just too full or heavy to hang.

Were you allowed to leave your trash out or did you have to wait for the trash truck and bell?  We have stayed in many Colonias in SMA and we always had to wait for the cowbell.  

good point jimbowie. i have zero flexiblility to think about bells. im lucky to get to the store when i can, or feel up to it. i have dental drs appts, trips to grocery. sometimes im resting. garbage is not the center of my life. most people are not working the land like 100 yrs ago where the family or the old person was home most of the time. OR the wealthy person had the maid full time to take or these things. today i went out 1:45 pm, there was about 1/2 the amount of piled trash on corner of victoria guadaloup/encarnacion rosas. not much on the rest of the steet. thats a good sign. corners of javier mina/galena had nothing. about 2:30 pm there was a truck picking up @ encarnacion. it was going up hill. interesting, but my trash is taken on saturdays @ 7-7:30 in the morning.

In Chiapas we had to hand it over until this year, now we can leave it when the bell rings which is a minute or two before the truck arrives. Sometimes the truck is preceded and followed by dogs but the dogs are culled on a regular basis by the city. and this year I have not seen one dog around the garbage truck but I have seen rats on the street  as we live close to the municipal market..There is a saying in town A dog that goes out freely is a dead dog.

My view on this whole garbage discussion is quite different than many (but not all) people posting here. If the biggest thing I have to worry about today is garbage pickup I will think it is a pretty good day. For me life here is too good to get worked up about much of anything. I wouldn't say that I am happy when I see garbage on the street but it is just not something I allow myself to get worked up about. I definitely understand that many others don't see it that way and I don't get too worked up about that either.

I love it here - warts and all.

decided today, i wont subject myself to piles of garbage. today was my last. the famous corner of guad loup/encarncion is still piled up but it was only one meter, 15 ft long. not good enough for 12 noon. i wont be doing much business on that street. rerouting is in order. this is like india. thankyou geeser, great minds think alike.

53 minutes ago, betty7 said:

decided today, i wont subject myself to piles of garbage. today was my last. the famous corner of guad loup/encarncion is still piled up but its now only one meter, 15 ft long. not good enough for 12 noon. i wont be doing much business on that street. rerouting is in order. this is like india. thankyou geeser, great minds think alike.

But hey, it's not as bad or as permanant as Cairo

Archived