Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic looks like Rome Italy as garbage piles up

The garbage on the corners where people who don't get a street side pick up must put their garbage is piling up enough to be mistaked for Rome. The Corner of Calle de Las Flores and C. Ocampo is a perfect example. The increasing rats and mice may be followed by snakes to feed on them. Why  doesn't tthe Tourism Commission use these photos?

Why Ajijic Look like Rome

5-6 days a week there are piles of garage about 3 meters high the smelly bags go around the corners about 15 ft. this is on all corners on guadaloup victoria- most of the time. sometimes even @ 3pm. besides the corners garbage is also all along the street.

have no idea if they are skipping days, or just waiting untill late afternoons. it used to be on mondays or sometimes bad on tuesdays if there was a holiday. now its almost every day. this is between encarnion rosas & the 3 blocks west of that corner, mostly on the mountain side. 

This is from the May 13th Laguna newspaper which is printed in Spanish.   I used google translate, and also tried to fix a few hiccups.  It ain't perfect.  But it's newsworthy. 

FYI...we are in Central Ajijic and we noticed this week that there were indeed some odd trucks picking up trash...one was a big red truck and a few smaller trucks were actually going along North to South streets (normal route is West to East streets).  We saw one instance of two trucks at a big corner on Guadalupe Victoria, I think late Monday.  

For a temporary solution to garbage collection in Ajijic, the delegate Jesus Chuni Medeles announced that starting Monday, Simapa and  Seguridad Publica will help in the collection of trash.

In addition, he indicated that an "invitation" will be circulated so that people will sweep the street outside their homes and not take garbage outside of the hours of the garbage truck, so that trash is not left there until the next day.

The interviewee, in addition, reported that the plan to improve the collection and image of the town, includes the change of some collection points (where people leave their bags of waste)

Other points with the problem of collection are in the corner of Rio Zula and Carretera, as well as Cuitzeo Street and Zaragoza, and to possibly change the collection points so that people do not continue to pile their garbage in the corners.

For delegate Chuni Medeles, the solution is for people to take their garbage out of their homes (My note: seems they left off the part about only taking garbage outside during collection hours) and to avoid "heaps" of garbage. Although the measure has not been officially announced, they are working to change the routes and collection schedules to adopt this method of work.

The city council of Chapala plans to make a garbage dump in Santa Cruz and San Nicolas, and avoid payment for garbage processing with the company Gen to which it pays several million pesos a month.

If the people ignore the invitation to sweep their streets, as well as throwing garbage outside of the collection hours, they will be fined by the department of Reglamentos o Ecologia.

We walk on Guadalupe Vitoria and Constitucion nightly when we go out for dinner.  And there is always 'fresh' trash that is put out the night before.  Even if the truck is 'on time' the next morning, the trash is often ripped apart overnight by dogs and other critters.  

When we've stayed in San Miguel de Allende, we found their rules rather strict....I think it was twice a week collection and the requirement was, when you heard the cowbell, you went out with your trash and you yourself HAND it to the trash guy.  You do not leave it on the curb EVER.  Now I think that's the smart way to do it.  

I think it's done near us here....when we've been in Tonala shopping early, we hear the same cowbells.  

im not getting up @ 6:15 for a cowbell. its fine to put it out the night before late if they pickup early. other wize go out in the a.m.- if its a reasonable hour. they should have a scedule, w/in a 2 hour range. it should be 6 days a week. garbage should not be out @ 3pm, thats too late for a pickup. after all those hours in the heat, its kind of a health hazard.

A cow bell wouldn't work where I live. I wouldn't hear it. They don't collect on my street. The closest pickup point is one block to the East and another block down the hill, turn to the West and go a few meters where the garbage is dropped by my the neighbors and I.

When I asked maybe ten years ago why they don't come up to my street, a supervisor said they would if I paid him 500 pesos a month.

5 hours ago, bmh said:

It may help if they would say what are the hours of collection...to start with..They also could narrow it down to afternoon or morning instead of having no schedule..

That has been printed and announced several times over many years.

10 hours ago, betty7 said:

im not getting up @ 6:15 for a cowbell. its fine to put it out the night before late if they pickup early. other wize go out in the a.m.- if its a reasonable hour. they should have a scedule, w/in a 2 hour range. it should be 6 days a week. garbage should not be out @ 3pm, thats too late for a pickup. after all those hours in the heat, its kind of a health hazard.

Putting trash out the night before is not fine, IMO.  It almost always gets torn apart.   

We've rented houses in various neighborhoods in San Miguel in the summer for 5 or 6 years.  The cowbell mostly rings in mid-morning or mid-afternoon.  I will add, it is a great way to meet your neighbors!  There is no trash laying around in SMA at anytime.  

Trash has been handled the same way in the 9 years I've been here.  The difference is you never know when the trash trucks will show up these days and forget about the street sweepers we used to have.  For a while they continued to at least keep the most heavily traveled places, like along the carretera clean but now that is even gone.

The trashiness of this municipio?  Just a very visible manifestation of government here not doing the job we pay it a great deal more than we used to do when it DID do that job.

Your eyes don't lie.  

When we lived here full-time 2008-2012, trash was picked up more or less the same time daily in Ajijic. 

After our eldercare issues that took us back to the US came to an end in late 2015, we returned to Ajijic for a week's visit in February 2016.

The big local news was: trash not being picked up.  Here's a thread from Feb. 2016:

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/60364-who-else-in-ajijic-isnt-getting-trash-pickup/#comment-479648

On that trip, we decided to check out the real estate market.  There was an MLS listing for a wonderful house in Central Ajijic, with a pool, beautifully furnished, great architectural features.  We decided to do a walk by before calling a realtor.  Guess what...it was on a 'trash corner.'  We didn't bother to view the home as the trash heap nearly blocked its entry door.  BTW, I heard a year later from a realtor that the house never sold, went into a seasonal rental.  Could be we weren't the only ones turned off by a house on a 'trash corner.'

So, this trash problem is not new, maybe it's intermittent, maybe it's due to political changes, financial changes in the government or maybe population changes that affect the amount of daily trash.  

Maybe it is time to rethink how trash is handled here.  Obviously the local government is looking into alternative ideas.  Wouldn't be the end of the world to study what's causing these pile-ups and delays.  Like MC, we have traveled extensively in Mexico and rarely do we notice trash on our visits to other cities, towns, villages, which means it's being handled well in other parts of Mexico.  

Well get back to the real problem: the Truck doesn't show up every week and certainly not when it is scheduled. These masters of horrible service still expect an alginaldo at Christmas even though they don't work for the home owners. We tried to get the guy from Orbas Publicas to come out and see the service they were providing, no deal. They work out of an office in La Christina park that might be a good place for the garbage to pile up.

This the worst it has been in the last 19 years here. 

Think it is unfair to blame the workers. They always are hard working, courteous and enthusiastic about their job. I am always amazed at how wonderful they are in a really tough job. Maybe the system and mechanics are flawed but certainly not the workers. 

It you don't want to give them a Christmas gift then just don't. Lots of us are thrilled to be able to make their holiday a little more jolly.

i am not staying in waiting for a cowbell either in the morning or anytime. not interested in "meeting my neighbors". leaving it over night is fine. just put the bags in a big thick garden bag. if its picked up w/in a 2 hour time frame, & people sweep their street, this will be a big improvement. ajijic central is a inner city trashy what ever. forget this paradise magic barrio fantasy. this wont change. maybe the developers or realestate companies can speak to the mayor. some streets pick up one day a week. disgusting. ps if they dont pickup then dont give a xmas tip.

55 minutes ago, nothernewbie said:

Think it is unfair to blame the workers. They always are hard working, courteous and enthusiastic about their job. I am always amazed at how wonderful they are in a really tough job. Maybe the system and mechanics are flawed but certainly not the workers. 

It you don't want to give them a Christmas gift then just don't. Lots of us are thrilled to be able to make their holiday a little more jolly.

Absolutely!  The problem here is the thieves and incompetents in City Hall.  Always has been and it has just been getting worse and worse over the last 9 years.

The workers are the victims of bad government just like the taxpayers here are.  Don't blame them.  

Hence today our filthy streets.

there was a time ajijic was spotless, very quiet, hardly any traffic. this was way before MC was here. streets that had trees now have wires. these streets were clean. now they smell. not an incentive for me to go into town to my favorite little grocery stores. 

I lived in a hillside barrio in San Miguel de Allende for three years before moving here.  Garbage was picked up once a week, early (around 7 am) and it was a half block away.  People had to hand their bags up to the truck bed.  Some of the short older ladies couldn't reach that far up and my tall husband became a semi-hero to helping out. Moving to Ajijic was an improvement in that respect.  No cowbell at an early hour.  No having to have smelly garbage around all week. 

Here, it's a good idea to have a big hook or nail high enough to hang your bag above the reach of most critters.  Works for me.

Archived