Chapala.com Webboard

Windshield Mounted GPS or Other

tomgates

I just got a new Garmin and it came with some warnings about half the states in the US ban any kind of windshield mounted electronic devices. It came with a dashboard mount to use instead of the windshield suction cup mount. Any factual knowledge of whether they are against the law here in Mexico? I've driven nearly 10 years here with them and never an issue. I can understand the issue in the US with many municipalities looking to raise revenue any way possible.

It is actually illegal here to have it mounted on on your windshield. I had a motorcycle cop try to pull me over for just having the mount on the windshield.

I purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LI624YK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never use my CD player so it works great. Puts the GPS at just the right height.

Like I said, never an issue here. But since we go to Texas and other states in the US, knowing they are subject to a big fine is enough for me to use the dashboard mount. I got a little magnetic mount, at one of the Mac stores in Guadalajara  that goes on the vent blades to mount the iPhone using Waze. Keeps the phone cool too.

18 hours ago, dcstroker said:

It is actually illegal here to have it mounted on on your windshield. I had a motorcycle cop try to pull me over for just having the mount on the windshield.

I purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LI624YK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never use my CD player so it works great. Puts the GPS at just the right height.

We use a similar model for our 7 inch Garmin and it works well. Sometimes a little bouncy on rough roads but nothing to worry about. I'd never go back to the windshield suction mount.

I was in the car today and I have it far to the left and as close to the bottom as I can get it restricted somewhat by the instrument "hump" so the only thing it is blocking is seeing the inspection sticker. If I were to use a dash mount it would put it in the middle and more in my line-of-sight, also requiring me to move my head to the right rather than shift my eyes. Another dogooder law with no basis in reality. I have a County Sheriff station just down the road so I see them every time I drive, I'm going to stop in and ask their opinion.

Archived