Chapala.com Webboard

New Iron Guy

We just found Agustine in Upper Riberas, right on the carretera across from Pepe Magana the Vet, up on the lateral in an orange house with white trim and white garage door, I think the house number is #133 or #134. Old Dodge pickup parked out front.

I had a picture on my phone of what we wanted added to our work truck and he did it even better with more support, and painted it for $1200p.

I brought a printed picture of something else I wanted made and he made it for me, he asks a lot of questions so he gets it right, he does not speak English but we got through it all. He charged us $250p for the 2 racks.

Here is the kicker, on both items 2 different days he had it ready that night, he even delivered the truck to us and we don't know how he knew where we lived. Tonight on the second job he called at 8pm saying it was done and we could pick it up.

I went to another shop and they told us it would be a month for our order.

Good family and really trying to get it done right. He also appreciated my feedback and help with the questions and I am a woman, very respectable.

Here are the photos of what he did for us.

100_8063.JPG

IMG_0079.jpg

hensley, thanks for sharing. We had a great guy but he has now become unreliable. A phone number would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this hensley. We met with Augustin today and he came over to give us an estimate. He said the work will be done in two days. We will keep everyone posted as to how it all works out. A very nice man. 

On 5/16/2017 at 11:50 PM, gogirl said:

We had a great guy but he has now become unreliable. 

That seems to be a problem here. We've had several great blacksmiths but they get popular and they get farther and farther behind in their work. To catch up they hire help that does sub-standard work. Hate to say it but maybe the really good blacksmiths should charge more. But then you get the customers that complain that they've raised their prices and they start looking elsewhere. Not an easy solution.

GeorgiaPeach I know his truck was in the shop on Tuesday so that may have been the problem. Just a guess.

Augustin gave us a fair estimate and said it would be ready in two days. He arrived two days later and installed the piece of fence. It was made exactly how we wanted it and fit perfectly. I would definitely recommend him.

BTW We decided to just go to his house rather than use my limited Spanish on the phone. We knocked on the white garage doors and he answered right away.

Archived