Chapala.com Webboard

Soriano's

46 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

It is tianguis, but who cares anyway? Do you know what they are saying? That is all that is important. people make errors all the time, why focus on the bad?

If you are talking about a tianguis (or more than one, it's the same in the singular and in the plural) and you say tiengue, someone who doesn't have a clue what you want to know could think you were talking about (and slightly mispronouncing) dengue.  

IMHO, focusing on correct word pronunciation IS focusing on the positive: the one who is learning learns more, the one who is listening has more likelihood of understanding someone learning the language.  Both positive outcomes, no?  

On 5/17/2017 at 11:10 AM, hensley said:

12 hours ago, bmh said:

Pronouncing correctly is not focusing on the negative and it shows respect to the ppeople for their culture. It is tianguis like it or not, do not use the word if you cannot bother learning it.

Your goal in speaking a language (even your native language) should always be perfection.  But if you don't speak until you speak without errors, you'll never speak.  The key is to LISTEN and be open to (even ask for) correction.  Mexicans are generally pleased that a foreigner even makes the effort to speak Spanish so they almost never will directly correct.  However the correction can often be found in their response.  Many people forget that the first phase of learning a second language is LISTENING, just as you did as a child learning your first language.  It is also important to hear Spanish from various people.  Never assume that all native speakers don't make errors.  Just as you know native speakers who make errors in English (I seen, I had went, etc,) native Spanish speakers make errors.  Level of education has a big influence on this but is not the only factor.  Would you want someone using Donald Trump or Sarah Palin as role models for good English usage? 

People who have been here for years are saying "Tonola" or Tla(spel) etc.. it shows to me they have very little interest in the language...We are not talking about sentences we are talking about words that are used by everyone on a regular basis.. like" tianguis".. If people cannot say tianguis maybe "market" will be understood by all on this forum.

Everyone makes mistakes  but the attitude of some people is " that is what I say and if I am understood it is enough",,  Sorry that is a lousy attitude IMHO.

Yes  you learn by your mistakes but only if you try to change when you are being corrected.

When I have asked non- Mexicans who have lived in Mexico for 12 years or more and who cannot manage to utter one complete sentence correctly in Spanish why, I get answers like "oh, I manage to get my point across". Personally, I find that attitude disrespectful and lazy. When I ask them if they had neighbors in the US or Canada who had lived there for 12 years and still couldn't speak even basic English, if they would not consider that to be objectionable, they usually admit that that would be true.

Recently read a post on another forum where the poster stated that she and her family are planning to move to Mexico in the next year. She was asking what jobs she could get here (she didn't give any indication that she understood that it is illegal to work here without proper permission), said she wasn't bilingual, but that she would be "willing to try to learn Spanish". Bizarre attitude in my book.

I do not have the time to be the language police. It would never occur to me to ask someone why they can not speak Spanish. I certainly would not then attempt to shame them over their failure. I know people who speak Spanish fluently, some who can mudddle through in Spanish, others who have a smattering of the language, and a couple of people who proudly boast that they speak not one word of Spanish. I think you have to actually work quite hard to NOT learn any Spanish living here, and it seems an odd thing of which to be proud. But, that is just my opinion and no one has yet asked me for it. 

18 hours ago, Upfront said:

how come it isnt chilis rellenos because chile is a country and chili is a pepper

It's not 'chilis' rellenos or anything else.  The Spanish word for the pepper, as well as for the country, is chile.

17 minutes ago, Upfront said:

Wikipedia differentiates among the various international spellings for the Mexican word "chile".  Of course, we ARE in Mexico, where chile originated.  I say use the Mexican word.

mudgirl: there are 1000's of people living in the US who dont want to learn english. they live in their enclaves & have buisnesses w/in the area. sometimes they work outside w/unskilled jobs. are they DIS respectful? because of this there are as much as 300 different languages in one city alone. (800 in another). there are many interpreters to service schools, hospital, courts. (not all migrants from mex/cent amer speak spanish btw). quite frankly, i dont owe anyone complete sentences. i go, i buy, we are all happy. for the maid: i know the key words. i may go to google & write a more complicated list for her. for appts: i also know the key words. stop protecting the mexicans from people like me. they dont need to be patronized. they are not that sensitive. generally i do not like school teachers. 

On 5/17/2017 at 9:28 PM, Xena said:

Another possibility is that they did not attend Catholic school and/or have their livelihoods depend upon excellent writing skills. They are not at all hung up on grammar, punctuation, or spelling. "You know what I mean" is good enough for them. They think those clinging to outmoded rules are sort of pathetic. 

If it weren't for those "outmoded rules" I wouldn't be earning a good living "enforcing" them, so I'm rather thankful that they still exist. But no one has yet answered the apostrophe question...

33 minutes ago, lunalena said:

If it weren't for those "outmoded rules" I wouldn't be earning a good living "enforcing" them, so I'm rather thankful that they still exist. But no one has yet answered the apostrophe question...

They also do not care how you make your money, good or otherwise. You have no power to enforce writing rules for them. For them and their purposes, the rules ARE outmoded. They just don't care. It means less than nothing to them.

As for your apostrophe question, I would say it is because they are ignorant, stupid, in a hurry, absentminded, or, as I said before, THEY JUST DON'T CARE. 

Archived