Chapala.com Webboard

Soriano's

Why do residents lakeside insist on mispronouncing the name Soriana?  We don't say Walmart's, or Telmox. Why SorianO's, and plural no less?  I have heard many, many people do this. Can anyone shed some light on the reason/s why?

There is no apostrophe in Spanish.  The English apostrophe, followed by the letter s to indicate a posessive  is definitely not used in Spanish.  The proper name of the grocery is SORIANA.

I have noticed that Canadians, not just here, but everywhere, do tend to add a possessive when it really isn‘t needed.  So, maybe we can start a new argument over whether the improper use of the apostrophe should be blamed on Canadians, Americans, Mexicans, or some unique blend of the three; or maybe just French-Canadians, or the resident Hmong.  Or, we could discuss “Donas/Doughnuts“

3 hours ago, ibarra said:

Why do residents lakeside insist on mispronouncing the name Soriana?  We don't say Walmart's, or Telmox. Why SorianO's, and plural no less?  I have heard many, many people do this. Can anyone shed some light on the reason/s why?

I have never heard it mispronounced like that.

Well I have heard Soriano and Tonola and lots of other words where the a becomes a o, I won´t even go near Tlaquepaque..

I happen to notice it because in French the o and a are very different  and confusing the 2 drives me up the wall..

I always try so hard to get it right, but I often fail especially when it includes speaking Spanish. But the Mexicans may laugh at some of my stupid mistakes, but they appreciate my efforts.

21 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

There is no apostrophe in Spanish.  The English apostrophe, followed by the letter s to indicate a posessive  is definitely not used in Spanish.  The proper name of the grocery is SORIANA.

I have noticed that Canadians, not just here, but everywhere, do tend to add a possessive when it really isn‘t needed.  So, maybe we can start a new argument over whether the improper use of the apostrophe should be blamed on Canadians, Americans, Mexicans, or some unique blend of the three; or maybe just French-Canadians, or the resident Hmong.  Or, we could discuss “Donas/Doughnuts“

To be slightly more accurate, Canadians (as well as some Americans from the West coast) tend to use an apostrophe to form the plural of a noun. For example: I have four cat's. Huh? Could anyone explain why they do this (in their own language)?

18 hours ago, ibarra said:

For those responding that say they have never heard "Sorianos", check out the posts in the Furry Friends section under the heading Thunder Coat.

I heard it twice today.

Maybe it depends who you hang out with.

1 hour ago, lunalena said:

To be slightly more accurate, Canadians (as well as some Americans from the West coast) tend to use an apostrophe to form the plural of a noun. For example: I have four cat's. Huh? Could anyone explain why they do this (in their own language)?

I'm Canadian from the West Coast and have never heard them or Americans from the West coast use an apostrophe for a plural. Once again maybe it is the people you hang around with-those with insufficient education. Or English isn't their first language or not hearing very well or?

On 5/16/2017 at 4:41 PM, cedros said:

I'm Canadian from the West Coast and have never heard them or Americans from the West coast use an apostrophe for a plural. Once again maybe it is the people you hang around with-those with insufficient education. Or English isn't their first language or not hearing very well or?

Neither you nor I would ever hear someone form a plural with an apostrophe, because the mistake is a written error rather than a verbal one. On the Costalegre, where I live and where most visitors are from Canada or the American West Coast, I see the mistake daily on the online English-language message boards, but I've never asked the question because I don't want to appear to be a snob. (I'm an editor of translations from six languages to English, with four college degrees.) So I'm asking it here, where fewer people know me. ;-)

8 minutes ago, lunalena said:

Neither you nor I would ever hear someone form a plural with an apostrophe, because the mistake is a written error rather than a verbal one. On the Costalegre, where I live and where most visitors are from Canada or the American West Coast, I see the mistake daily on the online English-language message boards, but I've never asked the question because I don't want to appear to be a snob. (I'm an editor of translations from six languages to English, with four college degrees.) So I'm asking it here, where fewer people know me. ;-)

Another possibility is that they did not attend Catholic school and/or have their livelihoods depend upon excellent writing skills. They are not at all hung up on grammar, punctuation, or spelling. "You know what I mean" is good enough for them. They think those clinging to outmoded rules are sort of pathetic. 

And why do most Canadians persist in pronouncing Guadalajara as if the penultimate syllable were to be pronounced like "hair" instead or "har" and the middle syllable of Chapala as "pal" instead of like "paul"?  Do they not hear the difference between the A in awesome and the A in apple?  (For Spanish purists I know that my above examples do no reflect correct syllable division.)

5 hours ago, bdlngton said:

And why do most Canadians persist in pronouncing Guadalajara as if the penultimate syllable were to be pronounced like "hair" instead or "har" and the middle syllable of Chapala as "pal" instead of like "paul"?  Do they not hear the difference between the A in awesome and the A in apple?  (For Spanish purists I know that my above examples do no reflect correct syllable division.)

And why do most of  you persons from NOB  use Guad  and Joco instead of the full name.  In the same vein,why not Chap and Ah-eh!

Mr. Canadian language person.

Archived