Chapala.com Webboard

Mechanic For Audi or BMW?

Well they do exist in Guadalajara and have been to a couple of them but can't find any information to send.   Couple of problems, it seems parts for beemers brought in from the us do not all match parts on one made here.   Can take 6-8 weeks or more to import the part.  Secondly you would need to be fluent in Spanish for any of the one's I've met.   I have no experience with Ron Young, a mechanic located across from Soriana but his name should come up on a search, might just be what you're looking for.    I tend to buy extended warranties and get a new one after 3 years as the numbers crunch for me.   Hope this helps a bit.

Thx for the replies. Not much luck I guess. My strategy was to buy one nearing its 3-yr warranty expiration, then have a dealer do an inspection and buy an extended warranty for another 3 years. However, I do tend to keep vehicles ten years so I'm concerned about yr 4 thru yr 10. I know parts are expensive so I'm trying to get labor for a reasonable price ongoing. Interesting point about BMW parts in MX not the same as BMW U.S. parts. I suppose buying parts here is hit and miss. As far as I know the BMW parts supply chain in MX may be ample, but the only BMW model made in MX is the 3 series sedan, although more models will be made here in the future. I will make some phone calls to Guad German vehicle mechanic shops.

I see many BMW's, Mercedes and Audi's so there has to be good service for them. Most experienced people here opt for Toyota Rav4's or Honda CR-V 's so they blend in and not stick out and draw attention to one selves!

"Experienced people opt for Ravs Hondas ect". Sorry Tom I don't believe that nor in 15 years have I experienced your conclusion.   It's whatever fits peoples pocket books and or beliefs I think.   I drive a Merecedes because I love the drive, the comfort and the safety.  BMW - the ultimate driving machine and I've had a couple. 

These new cars are loaded with electronics.  It is one thing to replace a belt, hose, battery, generator, that sort of thing.  Quite another when the electronics or the emissions/fuel system act up.  The dealers do have the full electronic analysis gear needed to diagnose and repair.

I'm very impressed with the dealer shops I've seen here.  Very state of the art and so clean you can eat off the floor.  That also includes the BMW moto guys.  Germania has a great moto shop.  Good thing, my R1200GS is loaded with electronics like the latest cars.

As for the marque of the car, I sure see a lot of high dollar BMW, Audi and Mercedes iron being driven around here by Tapatios.  What I would stay away from are those full sized SUVs and trucks.  The narcos definitely like them and they seem to feature prominently in car jackings.

4 hours ago, El Cartero said:

"Experienced people opt for Ravs Hondas ect". Sorry Tom I don't believe that nor in 15 years have I experienced your conclusion.   It's whatever fits peoples pocket books and or beliefs I think.   I drive a Merecedes because I love the drive, the comfort and the safety.  BMW - the ultimate driving machine and I've had a couple. 

You are so right, people drive what they can afford, if they can't afford a BMW or an Audi they drive a Honda or a Nissan.. There is no comparison between a Honda/Nissan and BMW/Audi. There is a reason they call a BMW-the ultimate driving machine. And I know this because I drive one.....

In my condo in downtown Seattle, some of the richest folks who are not insecure drive older cars often Hondas and other middle of the road vehicles. Other very rich folks bhy a BMW, or Mercedes and drive it for many years before buying another. I have a retired friend who purchased his latest BMW about 20 years ago.

My car only has 28,600 miles on it. So I call it a new Ford Explorer Sport that I bought in year 2000. Just to show off, I want you to know that it's 2001 model year though,

On 5/14/2017 at 3:52 PM, southland said:

Does anyone know a local mechanic shop technically capable of working on newer Audi or BMW vehicles?

If not here, does anyone know a Guadalajara mechanic shop, (not the dealers), that can do good work on Audi or BMW vehicles?

Thank you.

When I moved here I had an Audi and a Mercedes. My experiences with the Guadalajara dealerships were unmitigated disasters. They are beautiful, sparkling facilities but I think their expertise is limited to standard servicing of new cars. Trying to get a problem fixed on a 5-year old Audi A6 just resulted in more serious problems, which were never resolved. They clearly had no idea what they were doing.

The only good place I found for working on German cars is Eurasia https://www.cylex.com.mx/guadalajara/euroasia-11081503.html

They are a little difficult to get to, on the Mariano Otero service road just north of Lazaro Cardenas.

Finally, I decided that owning those type of cars here is not worth the trouble. Traded them for a CR-V and a Fiesta.

When in Rome... applies to car ownership in Mexico... When we moved here we sold our Buick Enclave as it is not serviced here ... After driving the roads we opted for a Mex  Honda Fit and then a CR-V... Most happy with it and parts and service will not be a problem.

Archived