Chapala.com Webboard

San Antonio fire

The sky is falling! What proof do these "Environmental Groups" have of arson? As I posted the day after the fire on this board I have a personal stake in this area. My post then:

"I live fronting the Lake in San Antonio just East of the fire. I went by there today and it looks like the fire was centered in the reeds in front of the malecon at the junction where San Jose ends and where the basketball court is. It certainly has nothing to do with someone wanting to clear land for planting. This is part of the lake and is under water in the rainy season. It would be hard to intentionally start a fire like this since it is marshland and heavy grown with 6' - 10' reeds. I have noticed in the past that the bottom of these reeds seem to be covered in some type of oil and there are nearby stone BBQ pits constructed for the families to enjoy along with children's slides and swings. It us quite possible that this fire was accidentally started since I see no benefit to anyone to start it on purpose. The good news is that it looks like the fire area extends about 100 yards on each side of this junction and there is plenty of reed and growth on each side for the birds to resettle. Also I do not think it will take long for complete regrowth since it seems that there is not much damage to the root system".  

I walk this area every day and know it better than most. The story states that the fire was reported on that Saturday night at 9:45. Now assuming that it would take a while for the fire to get going and for someone to report it so lets say that it started at 9 pm. At this time on a Saturday night there would be many families hanging out right there BBQ'ing listening to music and having a good time. If someone was going to intentionally set a fire there does in not make sense that they would do it in the middle of the night and not when they would be clearly spotted? Please take a walk there and you will see that there is some indication of the fire with some of the reeds burned to some extent but is by no means a ravaged area. Things happen! The rainy season will be starting in a few weeks and this area will be covered by water and by the end of the season it should be totally recovered. Calm down people!

5 hours ago, gringohombre said:

The rainy season will be starting in a few weeks and this area will be covered by water and by the end of the season it should be totally recovered. 

Yes, and the ash from the fire that settled into the reed bed will fertilize the reeds.  Some life was extinguished, but Life has a habit of responding with vigor. This is a vibrant ecosystem.  This is a minor blip in even a slightly larger scheme of things.

Agree, there should be an educational effort to let people know that burning trash and yard waste causes respiratory problems.   Perhaps donations for those that can't afford refuse or green waste removal?   Composting could be encouraged.  Are there any programs like this in existence here?  I would donate.  Anyone know if burning yard waste Is legal or requires a permit?

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, LakeViews said:

Agree, there should be an educational effort to let people know that burning trash and yard waste causes respiratory problems.   Perhaps donations for those that can't afford refuse or green waste removal?   Composting could be encouraged.  Are there any programs like this in existence here?  I would donate.  Anyone know if burning yard waste Is legal or requires a permit?

Oh, you want to change traditional culture.   It's always amusing to watch the newbies.  

Of course, don`t let me discourage you.  After you`ve learned Spanish well enough, you might be able to have conversations with people about practices they and their ancestors have been doing for a thousand years but be prepared to change yourself, my friend.  Though it may not seem like it yet, you`re a long, long way from the culture you came from.   You might want to start talking to the farmers about the lake and the weather first.  Rains have been good these last couple of years, the lake is high and the fish are back.  Then go from there.

I can easily accept an environment that I live in while working to improve it.  I generally vote for change in Mexico through donations to already established charities.  My wife and I donate to local charities that support causes that we think can improve the community.

Should  we stop donating to feed the hungry because people have always been hungry?   Should we stop donations to orphanages because there have always been orphans?   Should we stop donations for medical research because lung cancer has always existed?   Change happens everywhere including Mexico.   It is a slow process that includes education and capital expenses.   I don't need to spearhead a movement, I contribute time and money to existing charities.   The question that I have was, does anyone know of existing charities that deal with waste management and/or trash burning?

I know Operaton Feed and the Token Store have done education and waste clean up efforts in the SJC area.   I encourage donations to these charities.  Education and donations can help people from becoming sick and dying prematurely.  Simple things like food donations, orphanages and proper ventilation for indoor cooking can go a long way in helping the community.  I believe in working to improve any community I live in bit by bit.   

I am looking for charities that include environmental education and waste management as a portion of their priorities.

Waste management and clean air are national Mexican priorities according to SEMARANT.   The links below are translated into English for those that are interested.  The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) recently indicated that in 2010 the cost to the Mexican government of health spending as a consequence of air pollution hit US$29 billion dollars.

http://apps1.semarnat.gob.mx/dgeia/indicadores13_eng/conjuntob/04_res_solidos/04_introduccion.html

http://apps1.semarnat.gob.mx/dgeia/indicadores13_eng/conjuntob/01_atmosfera/01_calidad_aire_intro.html

Air quality is a global human issue.   

27 minutes ago, Upfront said:

donations to stop fires. huh.

Donations would be for charities that include local environmental education and waste cleanup.   The educated are less likely to litter and burn toxic things.   I see the expat community could use some education too.  Less trash around is less trash to be burned.  Not complex...

5 hours ago, LakeViews said:

Education combats ignorance.   Donations help those in need.    It's not rocket science.   Change happens everywhere it just happens slowly.  Thanks so much for your helpful comment.

I think an errant rocket could have started the fire?

Most of the smoke is not from the immediate area, and not from small fires for clearing a lot here and there.  Farmers burn off fields prior to planting ahead of the rainy season.  And this happens across Mexico. It's going to take a long time before that will change, if ever.   Wildfires in the many forests around Guadalajara.   Local small fires are not the main cause of the smoky air.  

Yes, air pollution has many sources.   The burning of fossil fuels for transportation & industry, forest fires, agricultural burning and the burning of trash.   The smoke that invades my home in San Juan Cosala on a daily basis comes from people burning trash and yard waste.   There are several sources near by and on any given day someone torches something forcing us to close our doors and windows.   Frequently the smoke smells of burning plastics.   So the smoke that most threatens my air quality is directly observed from the local urban community.   The general haze in the area does not force me to close my doors and windows.  

I would think a visit to town hall to research the rules, regulations and laws concerning burning of trash would be first on your list,  not this forum. Then you would need to find what needs to be done to enforce those. After that you will need to let whatever agency is responsible of the breaking of these and ask that they address the problem.

On May 17, 2017 at 8:49 PM, LakeViews said:

Yes, air pollution has many sources.   The burning of fossil fuels for transportation & industry, forest fires, agricultural burning and the burning of trash.   The smoke that invades my home in San Juan Cosala on a daily basis comes from people burning trash and yard waste.   There are several sources near by and on any given day someone torches something forcing us to close our doors and windows.   Frequently the smoke smells of burning plastics.   So the smoke that most threatens my air quality is directly observed from the local urban community.   The general haze in the area does not force me to close my doors and windows.  

Very affected this week by the pollution.  Sinus and eye irritation this week. 

Lake Chapala and Guadalajara PM 2.5 index (due to the above burning of trash/fields etc) in our local Lake chapala area, exceeds that of NYC, Philadelphia and Washington, DC.  

Canada's air has a lower PM 2.5 index than all the above. It must be quite a shock for some Canadians sinus/lungs after moving to this area.

Yes, this is a risk to health  (see levels below)  and more precisely this is yet an insightful view of one of the many ways these particles do affect us:  http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/brain-pollution-evidence-builds-dirty-air-causes-alzheimer-s-dementia

As I type, the smoke of yet another "burn" is coming through our windows.

Archived