Chapala.com Webboard

Katz's Deli will be Shipping

tomgates

For 129 years, Katz’s Delicatessen has served New Yorkers hefty portions of classic Jewish-style fare.

Now, it is looking to broaden its customer base and deliver pastrami to Pakistan and corned beef to Colombia, among other global locales.

The deli, a fixture on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, is launching a world-wide shipping service in the coming months as part of a growth plan. Already announced: Katz’s expansion into Brooklyn with a 400-square-foot outpost that is part of the DeKalb Market Hall, a food hall slated to open in early June.

Katz’s move into shipping isn’t entirely new. As far back as the World War II era, the restaurant encouraged its patrons to “send a salami to your boy in the Army,” a phrase that became forever associated with the establishment.

But it wasn’t until the ‘90s that Katz’s began shipping in earnest throughout the U.S., with mail orders growing to 10,000 to 12,000 annually, according to owner Jake Dell, who took over the business from family members.

Mr. Dell plans to grow the shipping side of the business by sending its corned beef, pastrami and other favorite menu items to Canada and Mexico by the end of the year and to other countries starting in 2018. To that end, Katz’s will soon open a 30,000-square-foot facility in Hackensack, N.J., to process domestic and foreign orders.

I loved going to Katz' on the lower east side.  Corned beef is one of the foods I miss the most here.

I will be in Orlando soon and my daughter will be taking me to a kosher style deli for a corned beef with chopped liver fix.

Tom please keep us in the loop as to when they will start shipping to Mexico.

Thanks

10 hours ago, tomgates said:

A pastrami on rye sandwich is displayed at Katz's Deli in New York.

A pastrami on rye sandwich is displayed at Katz's Deli in New York. PHOTO: ANDREW BURTON/GETTY IMAGES

I looked at their site. Yummy and not exactly priced for the faint of heart. They say to expect 2-3 sandwiches from a pound of corned beef. Free shipping to the US.  $32/LB.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:51 PM, tomgates said:

For 129 years, Katz’s Delicatessen has served New Yorkers hefty portions of classic Jewish-style fare.

Now, it is looking to broaden its customer base and deliver pastrami to Pakistan and corned beef to Colombia, among other global locales.

The deli, a fixture on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, is launching a world-wide shipping service in the coming months as part of a growth plan. Already announced: Katz’s expansion into Brooklyn with a 400-square-foot outpost that is part of the DeKalb Market Hall, a food hall slated to open in early June.

Katz’s move into shipping isn’t entirely new. As far back as the World War II era, the restaurant encouraged its patrons to “send a salami to your boy in the Army,” a phrase that became forever associated with the establishment.

But it wasn’t until the ‘90s that Katz’s began shipping in earnest throughout the U.S., with mail orders growing to 10,000 to 12,000 annually, according to owner Jake Dell, who took over the business from family members.

Mr. Dell plans to grow the shipping side of the business by sending its corned beef, pastrami and other favorite menu items to Canada and Mexico by the end of the year and to other countries starting in 2018. To that end, Katz’s will soon open a 30,000-square-foot facility in Hackensack, N.J., to process domestic and foreign orders.

That whole area on the lower east side has been so gentrified. My aunt lived around the corner when I was a child and it was mainly Jewish shop keepers. Now it full of fancy little restaurants and art galleries and there is even a whole foods nearby. Sad to see. Never ate at Kats. Ther was a better deli down the street. It was the bread that set them apart.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2017 at 4:29 PM, pappysmarket said:

I looked at their site. Yummy and not exactly priced for the faint of heart. They say to expect 2-3 sandwiches from a pound of corned beef. Free shipping to the US.  $32/LB.

For those who cannot afford the Katz version, or wait for their sandwich to arrive, here is the solution to your craving:

Poor Man‘s Deli Sandwich for the Uncircumcised

Two slices of rye bread, or whatever you can find.

Spread with mayonaise, with or without limon.

Add slices of warm, fried Spam.

Add sliced or crumbled mozzarella cheese.

Drain and add sauerkraut.

Close the sandwich and fry both sides in butter until the cheese is melted.

Cut and serve.  You will be pleasantly surprised!   It is really good!

Spam. No. I found it foul as a kid, and as a "hip boomer", I fried it up a few times and found it, oddly, just as foul. In fact, the last can is sitting, dust-covered, in the back of the pantry. I hate to throw stuff out. I thought of giving it to the help, but realized that might be an insult.

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

We did.  At our age, we have decided that we can eat anything that we want......almost ;)

I saw a story that eating a lot of french fries will cause death.  I think not eating french fries will also cause death.

I'm going the French fry route..........

5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

I'm with you on that one!

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

We did.  At our age, we have decided that we can eat anything that we want......almost ;)

RV I hope you have or are going to write a story of your sailing adventures on the Pacific ocean. I would love to read it. I look at my world map all the time and wonder what if.

So many people have written of their sailing adventures, and we read most of them before we embarked upon our own.  Now, they post their GoPro videos on YouTube. The truth is that sailing the world‘s oceans is dictated by the seasons and the trade winds, with passages usually being rather pleasant.  It is the stops & stays that are really fun, and very educational.  Now, sailors barely know how to navigate, as electronic gadgets have made that task unnecessary.......until ohshit happens and their electronics are wet or fried. Then they die.  Short book.

Great laugh about the electronics, RV. We sailed from Vancouver to New Zealand and return in the 80's with a sextant and a casio digital watch, along with the appropriate tables, of course. GPS didn't exist then and SatNav, which did, cost over 2000 dollars which represented about six  months cruising budget in those days well beyond our limited financial means. Besides, there were only 8 satellites and you could sometimes go 8 or 9 hours without a fix. Sailing through places like the Tuamotus without knowing exactly where you were was a recipe for disaster. Twenty years later, we had a larger more complicated boat with all the bells and whistles, but we still had the sextant on board and periodically used it to keep our skills up...just in case!

We were never big on Spam but we sure had Hereford Corned Beef in the can on board for those days when we needed a break from fish which, thankfully, was not very often.

Anyway, sorry for the diversion from the original post but didn't realize until now that RV was a sailor.

NO sh-- Sherlock--who new RV was a sailor??? I used to know him and his long-suffering wife before they moved to Tucson, which, until the next worldwide deluge is land-locked. Me, I have a son and family in Tucson, so I will be happy to buy a sailboat there, as soon as the oceans rise. Hi RV--how are you and your better half anyway??? Miss you!!!

I kind of wish that I had kept my old 1942 US Navy sextant, as it served me well.  We were a few years ahead of you and out chronometer was the typical brass one on the bulkhead.  Sailors today seldom even have that bookshelf of almanacs, lists of lights, etc., or even the stack of ocean charts and pilot charts that we needed, along with those 44 math steps to calculate a position; or approximate position.

Your mention of corned beef, a sailing staple, reminded me of a bargain purchase of two cases El Toro corned beef in Colon, Panama, while waiting for our transit.  It was the worst stuff we ever ate, but we did have to use it up on passages.....as creatively as possible.   There; we are now back on a cocina topic, I guess.

Hi to all & yes, Jaybear, we are still here & hard at work building that ark in the back yard.

Archived