Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart Strikes Again!

Well, I thought I had experienced just about everything that is annoying about Walmart but today's experience takes the cake! I left my cart for no more than 5 minutes to use the restroom and when I came back, it was gone. I asked a clerk and she started giggling. The manager came and led me to six of the blue totes in the front of the store and told me my groceries were dispersed in all of them along with other people's groceries. Even my paid-for pharmacy drugs were stuffed in with all the other articles. They all just giggled. No "We're sorry" or any apology just giggling. After going through all six of the totes hoping I had all my groceries back together, I went around to check out where the clerk kept looking at me giggling.

Then I get home and when I picked up the laundry detergent, it felt light. I opened it a sure enough, someone had helped themselves to half the detergent, put the cap back on and put it on the shelf.

I also have lost a 1/2 full shopping cart in about five minutes several times in large supermarkets when outside the main shopping área  doing something nearby to empoyees who automatically think it is an abandoned cart because it is not near any shelves full of products. I notice many smaller supermarkets have dozens of employees working hard but the very large supermarkets also have older women and men bagging groceries in groups of 12 or more and they seem to be the ones moving shopping carts around most of the time. They still don´t get it that leaving eggs and bread unbagged leaves you with only one ítem is your hand but simply bagging them you then can hold six bags in one hand - less trips into the house. I have been explaining this to them.

I don't think that you should be disparaging Mexico for an incident like this.  It could happen at any store anywhere in the world.  Why would you assume that you could leave a cart full of stuff that you paid for unattended while you went into the restroom?  If you need to use the restroom, you go BEFORE you start your shopping!  You're lucky that someone didn't just walk out with all of your items and put them in their own car.

21 minutes ago, suegarn said:

I don't think that you should be disparaging Mexico for an incident like this.  It could happen at any store anywhere in the world.  Why would you assume that you could leave a cart full of stuff that you paid for unattended while you went into the restroom?  If you need to use the restroom, you go BEFORE you start your shopping!  You're lucky that someone didn't just walk out with all of your items and put them in their own car.

The groceries were not paid for only her bag from the pharmacy was paid for and in the cart. You are correct, no one with paid for bagged up groceries would be careless enough to leave a cart full unattended as anyone anywhere in the World, as you state, could simply roll it out the door, no questiones asked.

My post above ---- the groceries where not bagged and paid for --- just sitting in my cart.

Also when I have to pee I don´t know when it might be but when it comes time I do know it is right now, not 10 minutes later.

leaving paidfor prescription drugs unattended? what was she thinking? next time take them w/you. mine are expensive, cant afford to lose them. walmart is what it is. its a one time yearly trip for me. (an item which is not in any pharm or natural food store in ajijic/chapala. i saw black shoe pads there which are almost immpossible to find. total time spent in walmart 12 mins including checkout for the 2 items). other than that its useless. 

Of course they did. But taking some from a container or package and leaving the container on the shelf has been a uniquely Mexican experience. Next time you buy grapes that are sold by the package not by weight, note the different amounts in the various packages, LOL We came from Houston where more Spanish is spoken than around Lakeside but that type of theft was rare. They would steal the whole thing.

Don't worry, you will see it first hand and as long as you notice it and return it to the shelf you will laugh like everyone else. If you take it home like the OP you will not laugh.

25 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Of course they did. But taking some from a container or package and leaving the container on the shelf has been a uniquely Mexican experience. Next time you buy grapes that are sold by the package not by weight, note the different amounts in the various packages, LOL We came from Houston where more Spanish is spoken than around Lakeside but that type of theft was rare. They would steal the whole thing.

Don't worry, you will see it first hand and as long as you notice it and return it to the shelf you will laugh like everyone else. If you take it home like the OP you will not laugh.

We are moving from Orlando, Florida to Chapala and what you are  describing happens here. My child is in the USAF, stationed in San Antonio and it happens in those H.E.B stores ( love those).

It is sad to say but those types of behaviors happen everywhere. It seems that morals and ethics have taken a back seat to greed and self satisfaction (at any cost).

You made a curious statement , "We came from Houston where more Spanish is spoken than around Lakeside but that type of theft was rare. They would steal the whole thing." So  Spanish speakers are the stealers  because "THEY" is the antecedent for those who speak Spanish.

Now, I know you are going to comeback and say you are not racist ( and that is not what you meant), which is irrelevant because the point I am trying to make is that people need to stop stereotyping people and places because by your own words conclusions can be jumped to and misunderstandings can lead to bigger problems.

Sorry but I do not subscribe to political correctness and I am who I am, no apologies and I call em as I see em. Some like that, some do not. Anyone is free to characterize me any way they care to and it is no problem to me. Make up your own mind I do not need any safe spaces. I find the whole notion of being able to bully someone with the written word very amusing.

Now, for the important part, HEB does have a presence in Mexico as far south as Monterrey but if you go online it looks like the stores are not nearly like they are in Texas. If they brought one of those Central Markets down here to PV or Guad I think they would do very well.

16 minutes ago, Denise said:

We are moving from Orlando, Florida to Chapala and what you are  describing happens here. My child is in the USAF, stationed in San Antonio and it happens in those H.E.B stores ( love those).

It is sad to say but those types of behaviors happen everywhere. It seems that morals and ethics have taken a back seat to greed and self satisfaction (at any cost).

You made a curious statement , "We came from Houston where more Spanish is spoken than around Lakeside but that type of theft was rare. They would steal the whole thing." So  Spanish speakers are the stealers  because "THEY" is the antecedent for those who speak Spanish.

Now, I know you are going to comeback and say you are not racist ( and that is not what you meant), which is irrelevant because the point I am trying to make is that people need to stop stereotyping people and places because by your own words conclusions can be jumped to and misunderstandings can lead to bigger problems.

Wait till you get to Mexico, You will notice a lot of the packaging has been heavily taped up so can't be ripped open.. When you walk around Walmart you will notic empty coke cans and candy wrappers hidden behind other things on the shelves.  Awhile ago I wanted to buy a generic remote for my VCR, they had about 10 on the rack but the batteries had been stolen out of every one of them.  I know theft happens NOB, but I have never seen so many packages ripped open and items missing as here in Mexico..

29 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Wait till you get to Mexico, You will notice a lot of the packaging has been heavily taped up so can't be ripped open.. When you walk around Walmart you will notic empty coke cans and candy wrappers hidden behind other things on the shelves.  Awhile ago I wanted to buy a generic remote for my VCR, they had about 10 on the rack but the batteries had been stolen out of every one of them.  I know theft happens NOB, but I have never seen so many packages ripped open and items missing as here in Mexico..

Then you have never been to the Bronx ( I have) and to Miami because that is common. Also, did you know in some of the stores near our nation's capitol there are armed guards in many of the stores, just came back from a visit.

Why are you trying to tear down where you CHOSE to live?

54 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Sorry but I do not subscribe to political correctness and I am who I am, no apologies and I call em as I see em. Some like that, some do not. Anyone is free to characterize me any way they care to and it is no problem to me. Make up your own mind I do not need any safe spaces. I find the whole notion of being able to bully someone with the written word very amusing.

Now, for the important part, HEB does have a presence in Mexico as far south as Monterrey but if you go online it looks like the stores are not nearly like they are in Texas. If they brought one of those Central Markets down here to PV or Guad I think they would do very well.

You say you do not mind, but you do, because you took the time to write it, those who do not care do not feel the need to state it, but if you are ok with it then so am I. What is it  people like you say, Make America Great Again - LOL.

I think H.E.B. is fantastic, I do hope they make it down here.

Wow, "people like me" say Make America Great Again? Thanks for the nice compliment. It would be nice if it happens. And thank your child for their service. I am a Vet also.

43 minutes ago, Denise said:

Then you have never been to the Bronx ( I have) and to Miami because that is common. Also, did you know in some of the stores near our nation's capitol there are armed guards in many of the stores, just came back from a visit.

Why are you trying to tear down where you CHOSE to live?

I'm not trying to tear down anything.. Just stating the facts  Ma'am just the facts...

40 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Wow, "people like me" say Make America Great Again? Thanks for the nice compliment. It would be nice if it happens. And thank your child for their service. I am a Vet also.

Do not ever believe that was a compliment. Also, do not think think you can insult my child by equating her service to yours. Deplorable behavior will not be tolerated. 

Archived