Chapala.com Webboard

Marching band at 2:30 AM?

The OP said, " Anyone have insight as to why starting a marching band and cohetes at 2:30 AM is acceptable in this culture? ". 

In my eyes, the resulting responses have answered this question in the affirmative.

It is always harder to view 'someone else's culture' thru a different culture's eyes not matter how insightful those eyes are thought to be. JMO

1 hour ago, LaChula2 said:

The musicians are very booked up on los Dias de las Madres, so it depends on who books them first.  It is not a tradition to do it at 2:00 am, it's just that's the time they can get to you.  Same is in December when families contract for music to sing to La Virgin de Guadalupe.

I think LaChula2 and Pappysmarket might have been the closest to answering the question of the odd timing of a marching band at 2:30AM.   A limited number of bands offering the wake up service are booked solid during those high demand days.   That makes sense to me.  I still wonder, however, if there is a cultural tie into the night somehow.

I generally seek to understand things, it helps lead to knowledge and acceptance.   Had I known it was a Mother's Day celebration I probably would have been less disturbed at 2:30 in the morning.   It's like knowing where the topes are.   If you know it's coming, it's far less of a problem.

The serenades at the hospital next to my house are always after midnight and before 3. The first time  it happened it was with mariachis. The trumpet was right next to my window and I just about fell out of bed..

I once asked a banda member why they play so early in the morning or middle of the night.  He answered "because we have so many places to go."  If you can imagine singing a song with lyrics about "the dawn" to maybe 25 houses, they would have to start very early.

Another factor in the tolerance of Mexicans for this amount of night time "noise" is the fact that they generally sleep much deeper than we do.  Why?  Babies are raised here with much more cuddling and affection than up north and are usually held in someone's arms most of the time.  Without a car, I ride the bus and I have often seen how babies and toddlers just simply sack out wherever they are, whatever is happening.  They don't fuss and whine when they get tired they just go to sleep because there is always a loving parent or family member to hold them.  I'v also seen this at fiestas and parades.  Babies can sleep right through them!  This familiar traditional noise does not bother them if they grew up with it.  So they get hardwired to sleep well unlike us from the north.  I've also noticed on the flights directly to GDL most of the Mexicans are already sleeping and snoring before the flight attendant even finished her routine instructions about the face masks, etc.

However, the invasive rock and other forms of super loud noise we hear now are not traditional and so are very irritating to the people here just like they are to most of us who have had this crap blasted into our houses repeatedly.  The traditions were not always so loud.  I'll ask my maid how she enjoyed it when she gets here.

I agree, Ezpz. American mothers and fathers hold their children when they can -- when they are not working, driving other kids to activities, classes and workshops. Generally, it is a busy life for them. There are seldom many other hands available to hold and cuddle. At a social gathering here toddlers work the room getting held and cuddled almost continuously. One of the first things I noticed when I moved here was how seldom I heard babies crying or toddlers pitching a fit. It is still unusual enough that I actually notice when one does. The culture around child raising is different here.

i know 3 mex ladies who have full time nannys/housekeepers for their children. other friend's 3 year old grandchild is in a nursey school for 1/2 the day. which bus does ezpz use? sounds delightful. my bus has crying babies. many toddlers/ pre schoolers have tantums here, just like normal children do @ that age. kicking & screaming. not pleasent. this sounds like something you would read in salon magazine. bogus propaganda. back on topic: the bands are muted, not so bad @ all. 

36 minutes ago, Xena said:

I agree, Ezpz. American mothers and fathers hold their children when they can -- when they are not working, driving other kids to activities, classes and workshops. Generally, it is a busy life for them. There are seldom many other hands available to hold and cuddle. At a social gathering here toddlers work the room getting held and cuddled almost continuously. One of the first things I noticed when I moved here was how seldom I heard babies crying or toddlers pitching a fit. It is still unusual enough that I actually notice when one does. The culture around child raising is different here.

Very true Xena. It was my first impression too.

In general, Mexican kids are more respectful of their parents and eldery .....and more polite too. Young people always apologize when they accidently bump to me. Very seldom up north.

Much more polite  and warm culture in general with lovely traditions such as this.

Archived