Chapala.com Webboard

Marching band at 2:30 AM?

Anyone have insight as to why starting a marching band and cohetes at 2:30 AM is acceptable in this culture?   Obviously 99% of the neighbors were sleeping at the time.  Why does the 1% feel that it is OK to wake everyone else at 2:30 AM?    I live by the golden rule, and do not wish to wake anyone in the middle of the night.   7 AM, I am cool March away.   9:30 PM yup, March it out.   But 2:30 AM is ridiculous, that is when everyone is sleeping.   I doubt anyone in the community joined the band in their merriment at that time, they likely rolled over in bed and groaned.   Celebrating life and culture is great but shouldn't there be a time for sleep too?   This is not a corrupt administration taking fees from concert promoters, this is a local marching band taking to the streets at 2:30 AM.  There is something cultural that seems to empower the few to disturb the many in defiance of common sense and courtesy.  I have been here four years and I am still trying to understand this dynamic.  Anyone have a good understanding of the cultural and psychological factors at play here?   

Mainecoons had a nice reply on a *different* topic in another thread.  He was not referring to noise from traditional holidays.  I will paste it here only because I think it is well written and perhaps pertinent.

"Perhaps the question is, what is the culture?

I think there is a tendency among some in the expat community to attribute things to the culture that are not only fairly recent in origin but are mainly the purview of a minority of people who are viewed as inconsiderate and badly behaved by the majority of Mexicans.  That they may not speak out about this on message boards doesn't mean they like the behavior.

I think Mexicans are less accustomed to the NOB idea that abuses do not have to be tolerated and tend to accept them more rather than fight back.  That doesn't mean they endorse the abuses, it just means they don't think they can change things.  We come from a culture that believes that we can change social, governmental and environmental ills.

I've yet to meet a Mexican who likes dirty streets, graffiti covered walls, not being able to sleep at night because of some bar, crime or corrupt government.  It seems to me that this is a shared idea of culture.  

Or maybe I'm just not coming in contact with the people who do prefer those things. 

I'm always curious as to what are viewed as Mexican "standards."  For example, if damaging noise for commercial gain at all hours of the night is a Mexican standard, why are Mexicans passing and enforcing laws against it?

If governmental corruption and impunity are Mexican standards why are so many Mexicans fighting it?

I travel a lot in this country by moto.  Regularly I visit communities that have no expats but that are much cleaner and quieter than this one has become.  I see local government workers out cleaning the streets, maintaining the plazas, picking up the trash using modern packer trucks.  The only expats in sight are the guys I'm riding with and me.  When I stay in local hotels overnight the towns are peaceful.

My own personal example is the successful graffiti eradication effort here led by a small group of expats including me.  I find it very telling that whenever I'm out getting rid of graffiti it is only the Mexicans coming up and thanking me.  I've actually had some expats claim that these gangster scrawlies are some kind of art and the nerve of us painting it out.  I'm not talking about the murals here, don't confuse the two.

When I consider the possibility that some expats have a warped and negative view of what constitutes Mexican culture, that experience comes to mind.  I don't view those attitudes as supporting our new country.

Justathought, I think you've raised some interesting points and you did so in a most civil manner.  Thanks very much for your post."

22 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

It's Dia de Madre and serenading madre in the wee hours is traditional.  I heard a band near us around 4:30AM.

Yes it is traditional and obviously only happens once a year on the night before mothers day. They do it right under her window a la romeo and juliet  and the children,usually the men sing their off key brains out along with the band. What's not to like?

I have lived here nine years. Every May 10 the bands have awoken the villages and towns with the celebration of Mothers Day. Families hire the bands to come to their home and wake their mother and neighbors with the celebratory music. There is the band, the music, flowers, laughter and song. What more could a mother ask for? I have always thought that as a mother I would more appreciate sleeping in, but that does not seem to be the case.The musicians make money that day rushing about from gig to gig. They get to play their music and honor mothers. It was like this before foreigners gathered here. It will be like this long after the current crop of foreigners have drifted away. 

Mothers get woken up at all hours by their new born babies.   Most mothers if asked would likely want some uninterrupted sleep and a day free from motherly chores.   Below is a link to a survey of what mothers would like for Mother's Day.   Many asked for time to sleep in or nap, not a single one mentioned the desire to be woken up at 2:30 AM.   The survey looks to be done in the US but I imagine similar feelings would be found in Mexico too.   I know that things are not likely to change any time soon but understanding why people do things is key to acceptance and/or change.   Knowing what mom would actually like for Mother's Day would go a long way in making mom happy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sybil-brun/real-moms-reveal-what-they-really-want-for-mothers-day_b_7190544.html

Was the survey taken in Mexico? I am astounded by what mothers in Mexico find wonderful, like the whole fam damnly showing up and her cooking for all of them while passels of grandkids run through and around everyone. The Mexican women I know have no problem telling their families what they want and do not want. So, if younger generations of Mexican women truly do not like this tradition it will fade away. It won't fade away because foreigners took a survey and said they should not like it. Oh, and the Mothers Day tradition is not just for young mothers but all mothers. Sometimes friends or neighbors will raise the money to pay a band to sing for an elderly woman whose children are gone. 

I like the traditions of Mexico, even if they sometimes wake me up.  Love Dia de Madre, Dia de Guadalupe, Dias de los Muertes.....I love most Dias here in Mexico!

An article in WaPo about what American mothers want has no bearing on this discussion.  If MXN moms want more quiet, I'm sure they'll tell their families.  

I am not a noise lover.  Not in the least.  But there's noise and then there's noise.  

Hate loud music from restaurant/bars in residential neighborhoods after 10PM; in commercial areas, well it's expected, though we rarely go to restaurants for dinner when there's live music.  But if my neighbor holds a late night quinciera for their daughter, I'll wish the family well.  Love hearing roosters crow, no matter what time of day.  Hate the electronic music played anywhere; hate rap, too (won't even call it music).  Love the clippity clop of horses on our street.  I'm good with big wedding bashes....up until around 2AM :D, cohetes included.  Hate the ramped up car stereos with brain-chilling basses, at anytime of the day or night.  Love the loudspeakers of the fruit and veggie trucks; even the Zeta gas jingle can make me smile.

This is mother´s day and it is customary in many towns to have serenade at 2 am to celebrate a mother or two. It is a charming custom although I like our Chiapas marimbas or guitar serenade  a whole lot more than a marching band..

My phone has been ringing early this morning and Mexican friends have been sending me Felicidades de los Madres messages since very early this morning..better than being forgotten . No?

In researching the holiday I learned that "Las Mañanitas is the birthday song of Mexico which is traditionally sung on the evening of December 11th as a serenade to the Virgin of Guadalupe and Mother's day. It is a beautiful song. The chorus goes…

Awaken, my dear, awaken
and see that the day has dawned
now the little birds are singing
and the moon has set

So the song itself mentions "the day has dawned, now the little birds are singing."   Perhaps this holiday used to have serenades at dawn rather than 2:30AM?   Sunrise is currently at 7:20 AM.   I see dawn as a great time to wake up mom and show your love with a song or two.  

Just for the record I wasn't referring to long standing traditions like this in my post that is quoted above.  I was referring mainly to recent, commercial arrivals on the scene that cater to an inconsiderate minority for profit.

I believe the Mexican noise laws specifically exempt traditional practices like this and so they should.

Thanks to those who explained it in detail.  The idea definitely makes me smile.  Not sure I'd try this on my esposa at 1AM however. :)

In Chiapas I live next to a clinic that delivers babies and it is common to have serenades on the street to the new mothers at 2.30.. they go on for 20 minutes and then everyone goes back to sleep.It does not matter at what time we think the sun goes up or at what time the dawn comes, the serenades are extremely early in the morning in my neighborhood..

39 minutes ago, LakeViews said:

Mainecoons, I apologize for taking your comment out of its original context.   It was well worded and thought out.

No apology needed.  I just want it clear that I wasn't addressing traditions like this

3 minutes ago, LakeViews said:

I wonder why 2:30AM is selected for serenades.   Anyone have an idea?

It's not always 2:30 AM. and it really matters not. The families just do it and the mothers appreciate it and that's all that counts as far as analysis goes. Ive been here 9 years and heard it at various times after midnight to about 6AM.

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I like the traditions of Mexico, even if they sometimes wake me up.  Love Dia de Madre, Dia de Guadalupe, Dias de los Muertes.....I love most Dias here in Mexico!

An article in WaPo about what American mothers want has no bearing on this discussion.  If MXN moms want more quiet, I'm sure they'll tell their families.  

I am not a noise lover.  Not in the least.  But there's noise and then there's noise.  

Hate loud music from restaurant/bars in residential neighborhoods after 10PM; in commercial areas, well it's expected, though we rarely go to restaurants for dinner when there's live music.  But if my neighbor holds a late night quinciera for their daughter, I'll wish the family well.  Love hearing roosters crow, no matter what time of day.  Hate the electronic music played anywhere; hate rap, too (won't even call it music).  Love the clippity clop of horses on our street.  I'm good with big wedding bashes....up until around 2AM :D, cohetes included.  Hate the ramped up car stereos with brain-chilling basses, at anytime of the day or night.  Love the loudspeakers of the fruit and veggie trucks; even the Zeta gas jingle can make me smile.

I love your post BG . My sentiments exactly.

How beautiful, I have never seen so many posts in such a short time. I think it proves that friendly helpful posts create many more friendly and helpful answers.

I love my new adopted country along with all of the goods and bads that go with it. What I find interesting is that many of those items that I first classified as bad, I now love or in some cases just don't pay attention to.

Today my biggest problem is that I am in Seattle and soon after lunch I expect a package from my CPA with work sheets I have to fill out and return to him so that he can help me complete my US Tax statements. I sure wish I were back with you all.

Oh and thank God there is a policy not to discus politics. I believe if it were allowed, after 3 or 4 posts everyone would become angry and flee to another forum. Thank you moderators for almost always not letting any politics sneak in. My one suggestion is that we should all try a little harder not to let anything sneak through, especially these days because there is so much to agree or disagree about.

Thank you Coldwell Banker Chapala Realty for sponsoring this forum  (I hope it was alright to mention your name here, If not, moderators please delete.)

Oh, and I can hardly wait to return home, hopefully two days after the rainy season starts. :wub:

I was charmed to listen throughout the nighttime to the village bands as they wound their way thru town serenading the Moms.  Lovely tradition.

8 hours ago, bmh said:

This is mother´s day and it is customary in many towns to have serenade at 2 am to celebrate a mother or two. It is a charming custom although I like our Chiapas marimbas or guitar serenade  a whole lot more than a marching band..

My phone has been ringing early this morning and Mexican friends have been sending me Felicidades de los Madres messages since very early this morning..better than being forgotten . No?

The musicians are very booked up on los Dias de las Madres, so it depends on who books them first.  It is not a tradition to do it at 2:00 am, it's just that's the time they can get to you.  Same is in December when families contract for music to sing to La Virgin de Guadalupe.

Archived